Customer Service 866.965.0400

Reverse Osmosis and Di water for washing

brunnesa

Question

Hi all,

I am looking to put a 50 gallon water storage tank in my garage to store reverse osmosis water.  The system I am going to buy is here:

http://spectrapure.com/AQUARIUM/RO-SYSTEMS/CSP-RO-Systems/CSP-Automatic-Flush-90-GPD-RO-System

I will then use a 120v pump with auto pressure sensing to feed the reverse osmosis water into my CR Spotless DIC-20.  From there the water will go into my 1.3 GPM electric power washer to wash my cars.

I will only be washing once a week so 50 gallons should be plenty.  My tap water TDS is 600 PPM, so I am thinking it will use the DI resin quickly without the R/O system.  Feeding the RO water into my CR Spotless should allow me to use much less resin.  Does anyone use something similar to wash your cars?  Thanks.

Scott

Edited by brunnesa

11 answers to this question

I have a PureTec industrial water treatment system, same basic principal though, tap water in - deionzed water out. I love the system. When the resin is used up I call and the next day they swap out the tank for me.

Edited by b_pappy

if you get an RO system, the CR spotless will be redundant. the 2 vertical de-ionization filters on the CR spotless are the same as the 2 filters on an RO system. the main advantage to the RO system is the automatic flush so you don't have to change the resin as often.

i have one in my garage for drinking water. the city tap water here is 3000 TDS so just about every home has a water softener system for in-house plumbing and appliances, with a RO system in line for drinking water. my RO system actually has 3 de-ionization filters because the poor water quality going through it.

if you get an RO system, the CR spotless will be redundant. the 2 vertical de-ionization filters on the CR spotless are the same as the 2 filters on an RO system. the main advantage to the RO system is the automatic flush so you don't have to change the resin as often.

i have one in my garage for drinking water. the city tap water here is 3000 TDS so just about every home has a water softener system for in-house plumbing and appliances, with a RO system in line for drinking water. my RO system actually has 3 de-ionization filters because the poor water quality going through it.

The system I posted above has a sediment filter, a carbon filter and a RO membrane.  They have systems that also have a DI resin filter,  but since I was going to just run it through the CR Spotless, I was not going to get one of those systems.  My main objective is to try to not use as much DI resin as it is the most expensive thing.

I have a CR Spotless on my well water (outside spigot) for washing windows and cars and it works well..... NO SPOTS.

I think you are "micro managing" your rinse water with the RO system....... I would suggest you try the CR system and see how that works instead of spending a lot of money on the RO filter to achieve minimal improvement. I agree that the resin is expensive but it has lasted me over two years with washing 3 cars each week from April to November and the resin is still going strong this year.

How long the resin lasts is how bad your water is (PPM)

BTW! I have a RO system installed under the kitchen sink for drinking water only so I am familiar with what you are talking about.

I have a CR Spotless on my well water (outside spigot) for washing windows and cars and it works well..... NO SPOTS.

I think you are "micro managing" your rinse water with the RO system....... I would suggest you try the CR system and see how that works instead of spending a lot of money on the RO filter to achieve minimal improvement. I agree that the resin is expensive but it has lasted me over two years with washing 3 cars each week from April to November and the resin is still going strong this year.

How long the resin lasts is how bad your water is (PPM)

BTW! I have a RO system installed under the kitchen sink for drinking water only so I am familiar with what you are talking about.

Chuckster do you know what the TDS in PPM of your water is?  I know my TDS is 600ppm so if yours is close to that then it looks like I have nothing to worry about.  Thanks.

I am actually part owner of a water treatment company, and set up a little spotless DI system at my house specifically for car washing! Works awesome, simple single column with some mixed bed resin in it. 

Wondering if it would be something others may be interested in? 

Chuckster do you know what the TDS in PPM of your water is?  I know my TDS is 600ppm so if yours is close to that then it looks like I have nothing to worry about.  Thanks.

Last time I checked my water last spring, My TDS is 450..... A TDS reading LESS THAN 500 PPM is acceptable for drinking water as per US Standards. I feel you will be a good candidate for a DI system, grab one and give it a try, you have nothing to loose except water spots. Most of the guys who have them rave about how well they work. I have seen articles on how to recharge the resin with chemicals, but that is too much work for me. Keep in mind that the resin life is dependent on the PPM and flow rate. I purchased my CR Spotless at a "warehouse store" that starts with the letter "C and ends with O" when it was on sale.

I am actually part owner of a water treatment company, and set up a little spotless DI system at my house specifically for car washing! Works awesome, simple single column with some mixed bed resin in it. 

Wondering if it would be something others may be interested in? 

I would be interested to see what your system would cost.  How does it compare to the CR Spotless?

I would be interested to see what your system would cost.  How does it compare to the CR Spotless?

I am talking with my partner now actually, about seeing what we could build. I am just the web developer/friend who built the initial website and store to get started, I do not know much of the technical stuff ;)

Wonder if Adam's would be interested in carrying a quality Spotless DI system that is made in USA?  :D