Customer Service 866.965.0400

Has anybody else tried traditional wet shaving?

PacificNWBuckeye

Hey guys, I just started wet shaving with a dual edge safety razor. I got to them by researching ways to get less irritation as my wife hates if I have more than a day or two of shadow. I am even using the soap in a cup to work into a lather with a brush.

So far I'm liking it, still figuring out the proper techniques, but it got me thinking that so of you on here might also be into it and may have some tips. I've found a pre-wash with glycerine soap helps get a slick foundation going for a better shave.

So since you guys are like me when it comes to car care, anyone else "stepping back in time" for your shaves as well?

I've been shaving with a razor my whole adult life. I never did like electric razors but then I haven't tried an electric in probably 40 years. Maybe they have changed and work better now, but I am perfectly happy with the old fashioned razor.

I use one of the 5 blade jobs, with Nivia sensitive skin gel, in the shower. It's the last thing I do in the shower.

same for me, except i just use soap, warm water really softens the facial hair. been doing it that way for 25 years.

Edited by dabirdzR/T

Look up the art of shaving. I like their products. They are expensive however and you can probably find cheaper alternatives. I have always used a razor. I usually just used gillette pro fusion glide with shaving gel in the shower but it does cause me minor irritation. I bought a sample kit from art of shaving and had no irritation at all which is nice considering I have to shave for work everyday.

same for me, except i just use soap, warm water really softens the facial hair. been doing it that way for 25 years.

Same here.  My father has done the same thing but uses the Gillette Good News (has shaved many many years probably longer than most of the guys been alive here).

I've been using a double edge for about three years now and I will never go back.  My skin has improved so much.

It took me about 1.5 years to get the right combination of razor, blade, creme, brush & ritual but I found it and now I like shaving. 

Both of my boys now use a double edge and now my brother in law is doing it.  You can literally put in a new blade everyday and still come out cheap.

If you want to learn from the pro's go to badger and blade. 

I use Feather blades, Edwin 85 razor, Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, Truefitt & Hill brush, and Art of Shaving aftershave.    

Remember, shaving is about beard reduction not elimination and you will do well.

I've been using a double edge for about three years now and I will never go back.  My skin has improved so much.

It took me about 1.5 years to get the right combination of razor, blade, creme, brush & ritual but I found it and now I like shaving. 

Both of my boys now use a double edge and now my brother in law is doing it.  You can literally put in a new blade everyday and still come out cheap.

If you want to learn from the pro's go to badger and blade. 

I use Feather blades, Edwin 85 razor, Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, Truefitt & Hill brush, and Art of Shaving aftershave.    

Remember, shaving is about beard reduction not elimination and you will do well.

I have joined the forum for B&B and got a lot of great tips.

Still working out my combination, currently using a RazoRock Mission razor with Astra SPs, RazoRock Brain Freeze Soap, not sure the model of brush, but I got it from Italian Barber. Still using a Niva after shave balm that I've had for awhile.

I forgot the beard reduction part yesterday and tried to get too close, lets just say Alum can really sting.

First, let me say that this thread officially disturbs me because it makes the reader picture his forum buddies in the shower... :lol:

That said, I shave in the shower, too. I just use a little body wash lathered up on the face and I get a good, close shave every time. I use Gillette sensor razors and they last forever with this process. 

First, let me say that this thread officially disturbs me because it makes the reader picture his forum buddies in the shower... :lol:

That said, I shave in the shower, too. I just use a little body wash lathered up on the face and I get a good, close shave every time. I use Gillette sensor razors and they last forever with this process. 

Rich,  I did not think of that until you said it  my thinking was the mirror.    My thinking is how do you all shave in the shower without a mirror (I can do it without a mirror but prefer the mirror when I shave)?

Edited by DieselDude

My wife got me some art of shaving products a few years ago. Excellent products but very $$$$$. I found a shaving soap called Nomad which is also very good and more reasonably priced. About $8 a cake and lasts about 9 months. I apply it with the board hair brush (sound familiar) and shave it off with a Mach 3 razor. Best shaves I've ever had.