Customer Service 866.965.0400

Gauge of Cord for Cyclo

Revlimiter

Question

As the title says I am just wondering of what gauge of extension cord I should be using with the cyclo. I would think 14 gauge would be heavy enough but iam pretty sure the cord that used to be sold on the Adams site was 12 gauge maybe this is over kill or the proper cord for the cyclo. I don't want to be running to small of a cord and end up causing the life of the polisher to be shortened.

9 answers to this question

Right from the horses mouth found here.

It only draws 2 amps

Model 5-Pro: 115 V a.c., 60 Hz, 2.0A .35 h.p. (.23kW)

http://cyclotoolmakers.com/documents/CYCLO_manual_rev_6_24_2011FINAL.pdf

With the Cyclo Polisher, use only three-wire extension cords that have three-prong grounding type plugs and three-pole receptacles

that accept the tool's plug. Replace or repair damaged cords. When using this tool at a distance from the power source, a three conductor grounding type extension cord of ADEQUATE SIZE must be used for safety and to prevent the loss of power and overheating.

Extension Cord Length Size of Wire in Cord

0-100 feet (0-30 m) 18 AWG (0.75mm2)

101-250 feet (30–76 m) 16 AWG (1.0 mm2)

Thanks for the info i am going to pick up a 14 gauge 50 foot cord tomorrow since there on sale should be good with that one. I have four or five 16 gauge cords kicking around but i think ill pick up a 14 gauge just for good measure.

I would also recommend a 12 AWG. It will power anything you can hook up to a standard outlet ...up to 20A capacity.  You will never have to put a "bigger" one so investment for the future like high amp blowers or string trimmers running long distances.

this would apply to a Porter cable or Griots polisher? 14 ga. 50 feet?

You'd want to look at the draw on it, but I use a 16 gauge with my PC AND Flex and have NO issues.