Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best wax for white van?

speeddeacon

Question

I have a 2012 Honda Odyssey that stays outside.  I'll be doing a strip wash, clay, polish and sealant (still have a bottle of Machine Super Sealant). I'm thinking about adding a layer of glaze then wax on top of the sealant this time just to add a little more gloss to the finish, increase the durability a tad and because I've always just stopped after the sealant.  Being that it is a white vehicle I am looking for opinions on Americana wax versus Dodo Juice Diamond White. Any real advantages to a light/white finish wax versus Americana in regards to color, etc. or is it just marketing? 

21 answers to this question

Hi Gary-

Thanks for buying our goods, and your Odyssey will be best protected with the Sealant.  We actually have a white Odyssey too, it's pearl white, and I'd imagine yours is the same?  When you wash it, mist it down with Detail Spray, and that will help maintain your protection.  Adding a paste wax on top will certainly help achieve a higher gloss, and added protection.  As far as waxes that are specific to a color, I'd have to consider that a marketing blitz.

Besides, your clear coat is the same clear coat that is applied over a black, red, yellow, or pink finish!

My $0.02...

I have used the Dodo Juice wax you mentioned, and honestly Americana lasted much longer and looked the same. Their colored waxes do make a slight difference in color, but how long that color sticks around for I don't know and you really can't make white, whiter.

I'd clay it, seal it with 2-3 applications AQS or Adams Liquid Paint Sealant.  That will last you through the summer and fall.  Then you'll want to clay and re-apply for the winter months.  

If you want the most BLING out of your DD, then use Americana, but my real world testing and use has proven that the sealants are the way to go unless you plan to show the vehicle.

Remember, 95+% of your shine comes from polishing, NOT the LSP (last stage product).

I've never used the DODO bird stuff, but I would ask if it has fillers in it.  It almost sounds like it may. 

Hi Gary-

Thanks for buying our goods, and your Odyssey will be best protected with the Sealant.  We actually have a white Odyssey too, it's pearl white, and I'd imagine yours is the same?  When you wash it, mist it down with Detail Spray, and that will help maintain your protection.  Adding a paste wax on top will certainly help achieve a higher gloss, and added protection.  As far as waxes that are specific to a color, I'd have to consider that a marketing blitz.

Besides, your clear coat is the same clear coat that is applied over a black, red, yellow, or pink finish!

My $0.02...

Thanks Adam.  Love all my Adams products! 

I have used the Dodo Juice wax you mentioned, and honestly Americana lasted much longer and looked the same. Their colored waxes do make a slight difference in color, but how long that color sticks around for I don't know and you really can't make white, whiter.

Right, but I've heard you can make white yellower with Carnuba :o .  Don't know if it's true because, as I said, I've only used sealant on it in the past.

I'd clay it, seal it with 2-3 applications AQS or Adams Liquid Paint Sealant.  That will last you through the summer and fall.  Then you'll want to clay and re-apply for the winter months.  

If you want the most BLING out of your DD, then use Americana, but my real world testing and use has proven that the sealants are the way to go unless you plan to show the vehicle.

Remember, 95+% of your shine comes from polishing, NOT the LSP (last stage product).

I've never used the DODO bird stuff, but I would ask if it has fillers in it.  It almost sounds like it may. 

Thanks Chris.  Not a show vehicle, LOL! Since I'm experimenting, I think I'll try the Americana to see how it works and go from there.

What are the thoughts of sealant->glaze->wax... worth the effort?

Thanks Adam.  Love all my Adams products! 

Right, but I've heard you can make white yellower with Carnuba :o .  Don't know if it's true because, as I said, I've only used sealant on it in the past.

Thanks Chris.  Not a show vehicle, LOL! Since I'm experimenting, I think I'll try the Americana to see how it works and go from there.

On a DD, NO.  Unless you have a lot of time on your hands.  I'm a sealant only guy for my DDs.  My G8 gets Patriot, but it's a garage queen.   I still put a layer of sealant on it though. 

If you want to spend the time doing it, sure!

Have to admit when I saw your thread I said to myself "really, wax on a van?!".  BUT I but I top LPS with Americana on our silver jellybean Accord, so who am I to talk!  

For white, if you want a brighter hue, go with a sealant.  If you want a darker tint sort of speak go with carnauba.  It does make a difference IMO.  I've had a 2 white camaros and I definately saw a difference.  

I prefer using sealants on white vehicles.  

Welcome, Gary. My wife has a black 2013 Pilot.  I got suckered into buying a wax "made specifically" for black paint.  First, the product itself was average at best and, second, I have to agree that waxes made for specific color are a marketing ploy.  On both of my Hondas I use Machine Super Sealant (I still have some too), Brilliant Glaze and then top it off with Americana.  They both look great and the protection lasts for months.

Thanks all.  I may not bother with it on the van.  It would be a lot of work for a car that sits outside.  I recently washed my red Mustang and the sealant from last fall still beads and sheets perfectly, like I did it yesterday and it that was 7 months ago.  She lives in the garage of course but does get driven throughout the winter.  Gotta love it!

To say a colored wax makes no difference is wrong.  Here is a white hood with a bunch of colored waxes on it.  How long the colors last, I don't know.  I do know that they are not as durable as Americana in my experience.  I'm not saying to use them, just trying to clear up misinformation.  Also, not all colored waxes may be effective as shown below.

DSC_0422-1.jpg

Great illustration.  Which square is Americana?

To say a colored wax makes no difference is wrong.  Here is a white hood with a bunch of colored waxes on it.  How long the colors last, I don't know.  I do know that they are not as durable as Americana in my experience.  I'm not saying to use them, just trying to clear up misinformation.  Also, not all colored waxes may be effective as shown below.

DSC_0422-1.jpg

Great illustration. Which square is Americana?

I see no need for a colored wax though!  What's the purpose?  My car is already the color it is and when it's polished, it's perfectly that color so what need is there for color other than to mute the true color of my paint? 

Great illustration.  Which square is Americana?

Great illustration. Which square is Americana?

Not my picture.  Those are all of the Dodo waxes, posted on their forum.

I see no need for a colored wax though!  What's the purpose?  My car is already the color it is and when it's polished, it's perfectly that color so what need is there for color other than to mute the true color of my paint? 

I don't necessarily see the point either, I was just showing that they do have an effect.

If you have the time then do sealant>glaze>americana.  I just gone done with my camaro using liquid sealant, followed by brilliant glaze and buttery.  It looks much glossier than what I originally had on there from another vendor.  It is also a garage queen.  I say give it a shot and see how it comes out.

Hah, I just finished having this conversation with a guy who owns a black Corvette. I asked him if he was using shoe polish or what? As we talked I think he will change his ways now.

Bruce

Edited by b_pappy

My wife has a silver Ody.  Trust me...after washing, claying, polishing and waxing...you are going to be toast!!  I would definitely recommend sealant over Americana.  Americana is great, but you want LONG TERM protection on the van...you don't want to wax it anymore than you have to!