Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint sealant on patio furniture?

rimz808

Question

I'm wondering if applying some liquid paint sealant on outdoor patio chairs would protect and prevent rust on them? I just got a new set of chairs and wondering if applying it would make it last longer and protect it from the rain and sun?

Thoughts about using it or should I not waste some liquid paint sealant on it?

Mahalo,

Ryan

4 answers to this question

I guess that would work if there wasn't any rust on the furniture before it was painted.  The issue with rust I have found to occur where two pieces are tied together or welded.  I have found it easier to just replace it after a few years and put it away when it isn't being used.  You may use yours more than us on the mainland, being that you have nice weather year round.  I will even put mine away in the summer if it isn't used for a period of time to prevent deterioration.  

Thanks guys. I don't have quick sealant, but do have liquid paint sealant. I will apply a thin layer on the frames of the chairs. My chairs will sit outside all year long since the weather does permit me too.. mostly sunny year long.. with some occasion passing showers ;) . 

My previous set i had to toss out after 5 years because rust started to form. So i was just wondering, being that these are now new, if any protection on it could make it last longer. I will give it a try.

Mahalo,

Ryan