Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rinseless and Waterless Washing

Timmy8784

Question

Hey guys,

I am somewhat new to rinseless and waterless washing since I recently moved into an apartment with out a water supply.

I did a full paint correction on my camaro a few weeks ago so my car was about close to swirl and scratch free. Since I live in AZ I have light dust and dirt on my car pretty much daily, so I have been doing mostly rinseless washing.

It seems that only after a few weeks, the rinse less seems to be adding some scratches and swirl marks. I know it's not a full 2 bucket wash, but I'm very careful when I wash it. I am using all the right products and doing it correctly. I've even tried using a few more ounces of the rinse less then recommended.

Any rinse less experts out there that has some tips to ensure no new scratches are introduced? I am being very careful but it seems to be adding quite a bit more scratches!

Thanks!

16 answers to this question

What method are you using? Two buckets and grit guards or Garry dean method?

Adding a few swirls is the only downside to rinseless washing and no matter how careful you are they will slowly accumulate. You should be able to minimize them with the Garry Dean method and taking care when drying.

The way I look at it you are going to correct your paint once or twice a year anyway and regular washing will do the same thing. I would rather be adding my minor swirls the easy way (rinseless) ;)

Keep in mind it could be your drying step or your final wipedown step or waterless washing that's inducing the damage, not just the rinseless.

Edited by camaro2ssblack

First dilute the Rinseless 1:16 in a spray bottle and use it to spray each panel before putting a towel to it.  Then fold you towel in 4s so that each towel has 8 sides.  Use each side only once and only use each side for one wipe.  Go in one direction only.  After a wipe, flip to a new side.  After 8 wipes, the towel is done and switch to a new one.  You'll need 6-8 towels for a car.  To dry it, mist it with DS and dry with the Great White or a WW towel.  That is the safest way to do a rinseless wash.

Also only use the double soft, single soft, or borderless blue towels.  Let them soak in the rinseless solution for at least 5 minutes before use.  I like to use 1oz of rinseless per 2 gallons of water.  2 Gallons should be plenty for a Camaro.

This is basically the Garry Dean method.

Edited by SYMAWD

Gary Dean method is definitely safest way.

Pre-soak with 1:16 Waterless so you aren't touching a dry panel, and a ton of towels.  I fill up a rinse bucket half way as well with clean water and when the towel is spent i just put it in the clean water bucket to soak it while I'm finishing, loosens up the grit for easier rinsing out afterwards.

Obviously this goes without saying but regardless if you rinse the towels out afterwards or not, machine wash your towels.

Borderless blues or a long nap plush towel 600-700 gsm is going to work the best for rinseless washing, for my X5 I use about 8-10 to do my whole car including a wipedown of the wheels.

I've found the Gary Dean method is quicker, as well as safer than using a 2 bucket method with 1-2 towels being rinsed in a rinse bucket, too much risk.

Gary Dean method is definitely safest way.

Pre-soak with 1:16 Waterless so you aren't touching a dry panel, and a ton of towels.  I fill up a rinse bucket half way as well with clean water and when the towel is spent i just put it in the clean water bucket to soak it while I'm finishing, loosens up the grit for easier rinsing out afterwards.

Obviously this goes without saying but regardless if you rinse the towels out afterwards or not, machine wash your towels.

Borderless blues or a long nap plush towel 600-700 gsm is going to work the best for rinseless washing, for my X5 I use about 8-10 to do my whole car including a wipedown of the wheels.

I've found the Gary Dean method is quicker, as well as safer than using a 2 bucket method with 1-2 towels being rinsed in a rinse bucket, too much risk.

With that rinse bucket, would it be ok to add a few ounces of microfiber revitalizer to let the towels pre-soak before the washer?

Edited by mtnbiker326

With that rinse bucket, would it be ok to add a few ounces of microfiber revitalizer to let the towels pre-soak before the washer?

Absolutely, or if out of MFR you could use a couple oz of APC (I'd say in 3 gallons of water 1-2 oz is fine) in a pinch which should work just as well.

Nice thinking, I'll be doing that on my next Rinseless wash as well!

I have to comment... Today, I had time to complete my very first "Gary Dean" rinse-less wash on my BMW.  I am posting a write up about it in another section but just wanted to say that it is AWESOME.  Not just for the lessening of risk of scratching of the paint, but the speed and efficiency of the whole thing, is just spectacular.  

With my technique being honed, I figure I can wash the entire car this way with 5 towels (6 if you include wheels) and all in less than 25 min (including a detail spray wipe down afterwards.

SO MUCH FASTER THAN TWO BUCKET METHOD.  Now, it is more expensive as buying 6 border-less blues costs more than a couple double soft towels.  BUT with less contamination and actual wear from the rubbing on a grit guard, the border-less blues will last WAY longer.  You are getting your money's worth out of them.

If you haven't already, buy or trade for border-less blues and set yourself up for a GREAT SUCCESSFUL rinse-less car wash.

Also, I did have the second bucket full of water and MR and it also was easy to just let the towels (ALL towels) soak for like 30 min - 1 hr and then wring them out and throw them directly into the washer (with another 2 oz of MR) and that was it.

All in, I could spend less than 1 hr doing an entire maintenance wash on the car (depending on level of grime) and detail spray wipe down and clean up afterwards.  :)  That is just AWESOME!!!!

Chris I have to congratulate you and welcome you to the most efficient rinseless wash club there is, isn't it awesome?

No scratching risk with this method, it's faster, and cleanup is quicker too in my opinion.

Literally I probably two bucket wash once every 2-3 weeks and rinseless wash in between as long as it hasn't been raining, muddy driving etc.

Chris I have to congratulate you and welcome you to the most efficient rinseless wash club there is, isn't it awesome?

No scratching risk with this method, it's faster, and cleanup is quicker too in my opinion.

Literally I probably two bucket wash once every 2-3 weeks and rinseless wash in between as long as it hasn't been raining, muddy driving etc.

Thanks Jason.  I can't believe how amazing it is.  My car is STILL clean (after a full rain (1.5 hrs after the wash) AND a dust blast overnight).  I can't believe it.  I am still geeking out about it.

This is why I got into Adam's products.  Just to have my mind BLOWN!!!