Customer Service 866.965.0400

Corvette Plant to Strike?

Adam

Those that "hate" unions probably have never been part of one, and just hear "stories" from others.  You know the one where it starts out as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and by the time it gets to the other side it is a ham sandwich.  I'am proud to say that I have been a Teamster for 24 years and the Union has been nothing but good to me.  The Union has provided me with a decent living wage, paid vacation, unheard of health care for myself and my family.  And the company still makes billions in profit.  It is all about fairness to the employee.  There is a voice in numbers.  Without the Union I know for a fact I wouldn't have what I listed above.  In fact China is going thru a lot of what we Americans went through in the early days of Unionization.  They are wanting to make a decent wage and safe places to work and are now starting to stand up for it.

And if you look at Adams post it is about "Safety", not more $$$$.

Edited by LFairbanks

Not making this a union debate, but I was unionized with USWA all my working life. It kept me in a job, got me good livable wages, health care, and a lot more benefits that people do without these days. Try working in a mine or a steel mill some time and then say you'd work there without the union behind you.

Based on the concerns listed in the article ---

I have been thrilled to see the media reviews on the new Vette having high marks for the quality. Would hate to see quality take a hit to save a few bucks on each car. Would rather see them raise the price of the car a couple hundred in order to keep and cover the cost of the extra quality checks.

GM just pushed the base price of the Corvette $2000.00 and the Z51 add on package $1200.00 about 3 weeks ago. So the new base price of a Corvette with Z51 package just increased $3200.00. Maybe this will help pay for all those ignition switches that are being replaced on other GM vehicles.

GM just pushed the base price of the Corvette $2000.00 and the Z51 add on package $1200.00 about 3 weeks ago. So the new base price of a Corvette with Z51 package just increased $3200.00. Maybe this will help pay for all those ignition switches that are being replaced on other GM vehicles.

Can't blame them. When they're selling faster than you can make them, you probably aren't charging enough. I was reading something about the late C4s the other day and it mentioned pricing in today's dollars being $60k. The 2014 coupe is under 55 and the Z51 is under 60; quite a bang for the buck.

Those that "hate" unions probably have never been part of one, and just hear "stories" from others.  You know the one where it starts out as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and by the time it gets to the other side it is a ham sandwich.  I'am proud to say that I have been a Teamster for 24 years and the Union has been nothing but good to me.  The Union has provided me with a decent living wage, paid vacation, unheard of health care for myself and my family.  And the company still makes billions in profit.  It is all about fairness to the employee.  There is a voice in numbers.  Without the Union I know for a fact I wouldn't have what I listed above.  In fact China is going thru a lot of what we Americans went through in the early days of Unionization.  They are wanting to make a decent wage and safe places to work and are now starting to stand up for it.

And if you look at Adams post it is about "Safety", not more $$$$.

I've worked for the same company 30 years. I have all those and no dues!!!

I've worked for the same company 30 years. I have all those and no dues!!!

Your a rarity.  I'am happy to pay my dues that is far less than most peoples monthly health insurance premiums.  I pay nothing.  100% coverage for myself and my family.  6 weeks of vacation.  Max out at 7.  4 personal days a year.  6 sick days a year.  An income that is more than most two income families where I live.  And a pension.  All the while management is losing there health care and are contributing more out of pocket.  They are losing it, because they don't have a voice.  And I'am sure if the CEO could take all that away from us hourlies, I'am sure he would.

Guess it all depends on your union. Our union is not so great...

Sick days - 5 taken away from us, plus the first 2 days off are 1/2 pay

Holidays - 5 taken away from us

Retire medical - taken away

Pension - gone (frozen, so it won't get any better for us) and now the company puts in 5% Ina 401k instead

Jobs - gone to china and other countries

Pay - near the bottom of the industry (which effects my buying power) it's very sad that in order to receive a raise we have to give something up so the companies cost will remain the same.

• 2 weeks later...

That whole story sounds like it has bugs and flies in it.  The comment about "not one coat of paint has been applied" was dumb to begin with because the museum announce a month ago that the cars were going to remain on display till October (no mention of that in the story). And Dana Forrester is an ARTIST who paints pictures of Corvettes. I haven't heard a word about him being the lead consultant, however he is on the board. Sounds like this reporter is an amateur.