Customer Service 866.965.0400

Chrome Wheels

DaveyT

Question

Hi everyone. Here is what I have in mind for my chrome wheels: wash, metal polish one, metal polish two, liquid sealant, glaze, americana. 

Will this work? Will these products be effective on these wheels?

16 answers to this question

Are they chrome chrome, or do they have clearcoat on them? If they're clearcoated, you'd treat them like paint. If not, use metal polish if they need it, and I'd follow with QS instead.

Are they already in good shape and you are just trying to maintain and protect them? If they're already in good shape, all you'd need to do is wash them (cool to the touch, soap and water), then seal/glaze. Wax won't be able to withstand the high temperatures generated by driving and will break down pretty quick. Save wax for your paint. Glaze won't last long either, but that's the nature of the product. Throw glaze on your chrome before going out and it will melt faces.

What Gerry said.  If they are true chrome (bare polished metal) then use the polishes on them. Clearcoated chrome will be treated like paint.

Very few cars come with bare metal "mag" aluminum or chrome wheels nowadays because of the upkeep needed on them, the guys at the dealerships would be metal polishing the oxidation off every week!

Chrome shouldn't make the rag BLACK, bare aluminum does that.  

MANY MANY vehicles have chromed plastic covers epoxied to the aluminum wheel and they look like chrome wheels.  These are NOT capable of being polished like metal.  

Also, always start with the least aggressive polish and see if that garners the results you're after.  In this case, start with #2 and then work up to #1 if needed.  

I will say that Megs drill attachable cone is the BOMB with Adams metal polish and makes wheel polishing a BREEZE!  

If plastic, use Revive Polish followed by AQS.  

If metal chrome, use MP#2 and if needed #1 and then #2 and then AQS.  

For face melting, you can top with BG but if it's a DD, I wouldn't bother. 

Chris

Thank you everyone. This is a 2013 Kia Optima SXL. All I know about the finish is that it is chrome. I will start with the finest finish first and see if that does anything. I will seal and glaze (to impress my wife and justify the time I will be spending in the garage since this is her car). 

Thank you everyone. This is a 2013 Kia Optima SXL. All I know about the finish is that it is chrome. I will start with the finest finish first and see if that does anything. I will seal and glaze (to impress my wife and justify the time I will be spending in the garage since this is her car). 

Just verify they are INDEED real metal chrome.  The plastic ones look VERY real! 

Hijacking the thread - my apologies up front.  :rolleyes:

My wife and I just picked up a new 2014 GMC Terrain with 19" 'Chrome' wheels.  After reading various forum threads for 'chrome' wheels, for the basic cleaning and care, am I safe using GWC with the Boulder Blond Brush and Wheel Woolies?

Thanks in advance for your replies.  Always greatly appreciated from our Adam's community.

Mike

Yes GWC is safe on chrome wheels.... Just make sure that they aren't hot when you clean them. After they are clean put a coat of BG followed by QS to protect them. BTW you may need to Clay them before the BG.....

Thanks Chris!  Great information.  I've never had 'chrome clad' wheels before and the last thing I needed to do was damage them.  I diluted Car Shampoo in a spray bottle to do an initial cleaning to be on the safe side.  I appreciate your help.

Mike

The GMC wheels should be clear coated chrome so they won't oxidize, someone correct me if I'm wrong as I don't own any GM products but if they are clear coated chrome then just care for them like you would a painted wheel, with brushes, wheel cleaner and or soapy water, seal them to protect.

Never work on a hot wheel as was said above. For what it's worth I use car shampoo with woolies and brushes for all my maintenance wheel cleanings. I do a deep clean about once every 3 months and lay a coat of sealant down.

Another chrome clad wheel question...recently had the Terrain undercoated with the petroleum based stuff.  Some of it is on the wheels.  The 'shop' says WD-40 will take it off anywhere it was over sprayed.  I'm not so sure about using WD-40 on my wheels.  What do you think?

Thanks - Mike

Edited by icantdrive55

Another chrome clad wheel question...recently had the Terrain undercoated with the petroleum based stuff.  Some of it is on the wheels.  The 'shop' says WD-40 will take it off anywhere it was over sprayed.  I'm not so sure about using WD-40 on my wheels.  What do you think?

Thanks - Mike

What do you mean you had the Terrain undercoated?  As in you paid for one of those shoddy dealer services?

Modern cars today all have corrosion protection on the undercarriage of the vehicle, thus negating the need for additional coatings after purchase.

If its solvent based and like dissolves like, then WD-40 is fine on the wheels, its more of a cleaner anyway and is non-corrosive, I've been using WD-40 to remove adhesive on paint for years with no ill effects so I assume it would remove anything solvent based on your wheels with no issues.

What do you mean you had the Terrain undercoated?  As in you paid for one of those shoddy dealer services?

No - LOL - I did not pay for one of those shoddy dealer services. I had it done at an independent shop.  Even being careful during application it's gonna sling some of this stuff.   I'm very 'old school' and even though modern cars are far better protecting from corrosion, it's an investment in the vehicle for the long term. 

Thanks for the chuckle, and the info on WD-40.

Mike

Mike I also do undercoating and petroleum based products will come off with a variety of products. I have used WD40 and kerosene in the past to take things off. There is a spray that I forget the name someone just told me about for tar to soak and spray off. The key with the wheels as everyone says is treat it like paint. There is a clear coat on those chrome wheels from GM. I know because my son just had all of his wheels replaced by GMC on his Denali pickup truck because the water and salt had gotten under the clear and really makes a mess of the wheels. I know a lot of people are using the spray paint sealant and I use the gray sealant in the bottle on mine. Either way claying, polishing and then sealing will make life a easier for cleaning and looks.