Customer Service 866.965.0400

engine detailing on 14 gt500

efroeh

Question

hey guys i am looking for advice on how to clean my engine bay on my 2014 mustang gt500. i know that i need to cover my filter any other tips? I have what seems to be a film of dust on everything. The car was purchased off of the showroom floor so they had it all lubed up under the hood. Ill try and get a better picture when i get home.

20140711_124916_zps7de18f2c.jpg

Edited by efroeh

21 answers to this question

Nice car Evan!!

The exposed filter is really the only thing you need to worry about covering in any modern engine bay.  Since the dealership likely applied some kind of silicone-laden slime that's attracting the dust, you'll likely need a generous helping of All Purpose Cleaner

to get rid of it all.  Once you go through the washing/drying process, you can use SVRT and IOS to dress and protect everything.

Check out the engine bay cleaning video here:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Detailing_Video_Vol_8_Chapter_03_Cleaning_the_Engine_Bay.aspx

Thanks Nick ive watched the video several times (real busy at work ha). should i use a 50/50 mix of all purpose cleaner or straight up? also just a spray and let sit and a quick scub with a brush should get all the junk the dealer applied off of it. Thanks for the compliment. a pic of the out side for you.

20140614_155711_zpsd41987d7.jpg

Thanks guys ordering in and out spray tomorrow I have everything else to do the job. Minus time but gotta make time for my baby ha. Brian thanks for the complements the car stock put down 611hp and 610 torque at the tires. Haven't had it on the dyno since some mods but should be close to 700. Gotta have it clean so as I'm passing everybody they can see there reflection.

Edited by efroeh

Nice car Evan!!

The exposed filter is really the only thing you need to worry about covering in any modern engine bay.  Since the dealership likely applied some kind of silicone-laden slime that's attracting the dust, you'll likely need a generous helping of All Purpose Cleaner

to get rid of it all.  Once you go through the washing/drying process, you can use SVRT and IOS to dress and protect everything.

Check out the engine bay cleaning video here:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Detailing_Video_Vol_8_Chapter_03_Cleaning_the_Engine_Bay.aspx

FWIW, Evan, Nick's advice is EXACTLY how I clean/detail my engine bay... 

IMG_0301_zps43d47151.jpg

Since the car is new, you maybe able to get by with Rinseless Wash.  Mix up a bucket of Rinseless Wash  using the wash ratio, and soak a few towels in it (work MF towels or terry towels), then wipe down the engine, hoses, shock towers, etc.  Wring out one of the cleaner towels and wipe again, then apply I&O to make it shine!

I have a client with an '83 Vette that still has all the factory marking on the engine, but I can clean it with Rinseless Wash and not affect them.

guys those are some nice looking gt500's..

Thank you!

THanks Steve another order to adams made, look forward to get mine looking just a fraction of how clean yours is.

Thanks!  That's very kind, especially since yours looks well cared for too.

Yes come factory with 662 supercharged 5.8l v8

+1, but the 662 HP / 631 FT-LB rating appears somewhat conservative...  During the baseline (i.e., stock) dyno pull I did with mine, it put down 642 HP / 621 FT-LBS at the rear wheels:

BaselineDynoPull_zps582002c8.jpg

Edited by Norton

My father bought a used Ram 1500 that someone used a silicone-based dressing that was attracting a lot of dust. I was a little scared to use water on a engine but after watching the Adams video and trying it, I have no problem now. I would not spray water on a HOT engine or spray directly onto electrical parts.

I really like these GT500's esp. the Grabber Blue!

I'm assuming in and out spray is good if I get it on the headers and supercharger for heat wise?

Yes, when I had mine that is what I used on the engine bits.  I didn't spray my headers/exhaust down, but it will be OK if some overspray gets on them.

Keep us posted!

Thank you!

Thanks!  That's very kind, especially since yours looks well cared for too.

+1, but the 662 HP / 631 FT-LB rating appears somewhat conservative...  During the baseline (i.e., stock) dyno pull I did with mine, it put down 642 HP / 621 FT-LBS at the rear wheels:

BaselineDynoPull_zps582002c8.jpg

642hp at the wheels...stock??? holy crap, that's 700hp + at the crank.  Severely underated

Thanks for all the compliments was gonna do the enigne today but decide id do the interior and glass. I have one question is it the same to clean my glass sealant applicator as the glass towels?