Customer Service 866.965.0400

Pad color

AvsBest

Question

I am still using the older generation products with the green severe swirl remover (SSR), swirl remover, fine polish and machine sealant as I haven't gotten through my bottles yet.

I changed my backing plate size so I need another green pad. By studying the industry color code for the pads, it seems like a yellow pad would be more appropriate for the green SSR as the yellow pad has a heavier cut and the SSR is a heavier compound.

Thoughts?

16 answers to this question

I agree with Chris. However, I have a bunch of the old yellow hex cut pads if you want to stock up on the cheap.

Shoot me a PM if interested, but I will be out of town starting tonight, heading to Reno for HAN.

Bruce

I'm sure I should but I don't see why I should pay $40 worth of new products when I already have more than 3/4 of my old product left in the bottles.

I'd rather buy a $10 pad instead and finish my current product. I just need to figure which pad I should use with the SSR

First, there exists no industry standard for color coding pads. Each mfg has their own, example two of the largest are Meguiars and Lake County. A second point is your not telling us what size backing plate you changed to, even though colors will remain constant through-out pad sizes for any given mfg. Depending on the machine your using most smaller pads will correct faster than larger pads

The product will work with any color pad it's what you need to accomplish that determines how aggressive of a cut your after. Based on if your backing plate is the correct size there is nothing stopping you from using Adam's orange pad now to remove most if not all your swirls. If you need to further address some RIDS step up to their microfiber pad. A plus to this is you won't have to be looking for new pads when you do update to the current versions.

Also remember that all chemicals have a shelf life. So while you may have 75% of green polish left it's ability to perform as when purchased may not be 100%

Thanks for that.

What I meant by "industry code" was in reality the big 3 except mcguiars (lake country, hexlogix, adam's)

I am using a PC and 5 inch pads. There is just that one hairline scratch that I am sure I can get out with a little bit heavier product.

I only have the orange/white and black pads and want another one to use the SSR with. I can get 98% of my car right with the orange swirl remover

That was a question too I guess, would I gain anything by using the SSR with the orange pad?

Yes it would be the next step up before changing to both more aggressive pad & polish. The color design of pad to polish is a nice feature, a simple guideline if you will, but it's not set in stone. You really need to mix up your pads and polishes by testing each pad with each polish to fine tune what will give you the best results. You might find that you don't need another more aggressive pad. And if you do, test that pad with each of your polishes starting at your least aggressive.

Edited by gdwenger

First off, I get that you are using 5.5" pads, great.

You want to use your Severe Swirl remover which I equate to the cut of an older Menzerna Power Gloss compound or similar.

What types of 5.5" pads do you use?  Meguiars, Buff N Shine, Lake Country, etc?

Personally I use the BNS 5.5" pads and for something like Severe Swirl remover, you basically have 3 options, depending on how much cut you need.

Orange foam for medium cut, yellow foam for heavy cut, or an orange MF cutting pad if you want better cut than orange foam and a slightly better finish than with the yellow foam.

Hope that helps, there is not a "one solution" for this, just depending on what needs you have for what you're trying to accomplish, but you're absolutely right you can use up your existing product before purchasing new.

I have this product myself, I have a bottle of compound and polish from another brand that I love, the industry moves so fast and so many new products come out that you have this urge to "buy everything new" but in reality, the stuff already sitting on your shelf gets the job done.

I have 2 different liquid wax/sealants and another brands aerosol version of a Quick Sealant type product, so although I support Adam's I'm not going to "add to the shelf" the same type of products unless I'm refilling what I am empty on, lately this leaves me with just orders of gallon liquid refills (detail spray, rinseless, deep wheel cleaner, APC, car shampoo, etc).

Good luck!

I still have some SSR and use it on my personal cars.  Still a great product, don't throw it away!

I have some of the older Machine Super Sealant and Fine Machine Polish in stock and still use it on my personal cars.  Great products as well.

I have a couple Green Flex Pads in stock and MIGHT have a couple Green Hex Pads.  I might have some Green Focus pads as well.  Will check tonight for you.  I have 1 Yellow Hex Pad.

I checked last night and only have the Green Flex pads, sorry!

Edited by eric@thompsonracing.us

Bump to an adam's rep... What should I use with my old green Severe swirls remover given that you don't have the required pads anymore? Would yellow hex pad work?

Orange polishing pads are the most aggressive that Adam's currently sells, those are the ones you'd want to use with SSR. The yellow hex pads have no cut and are made for BW.