Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay Roof?

oldfordisbetter

Question

21 answers to this question

I as well as everybody else on this forum strongly suggest treating the roof of your vehicle like any other panel.  I did this over the weekend.  And use a 4 foot step ladder.  

post-706-0-83143500-1409715475_thumb.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-4-ft-Fiberglass-Step-Ladder-with-300-lb-Load-Capacity-Type-IA-Duty-Rating-NXT1A04/202059651

A ladder is the safe way, but unless the car is lowered, you can just stand on the tires and hold on to a roof rail if the vehicle is equipped with them. As for polishing, that obviously wouldn't work, but washing, claying, and waxing it will.

^^^^ This is what I do too. :)

I second....love mine and I can reach the middle of my sierra with ease.  A couple of years ago Lowes or HD was having a crazy sale on these for $19.  

A ladder is the safe way, but unless the car is lowered, you can just stand on the tires and hold on to a roof rail if the vehicle is equipped with them. As for polishing, that obviously wouldn't work, but washing, claying, and waxing it will.

Did a quick detail on a 2014 Jeep SRT and stood on the wheels to get the roof clayed! But as everyone else has said, a ladder or step stool will probably be able to get to the roof areas you need! 

Think about it.  Your roof is the most exposed part of your vehicle and the flattest, so whatever debris there can possibly be will end up there.  SUV roofs will rust faster than most other parts as well.  You definitely want to treat your roof with as much care as the rest of your vehicle.........clay, seal, wax.  

Usually if its a truck i stand in the bed and do the back half of it. And then for the other side i just open a door and stand inside, maybe a small stool if you feel like standing inside is making you bend back a bit. If its an SUV then I skip the part about the bed and just stand inside.

Great news indeed.  I could've used it on a 4 door F150 work truck with a cap over the bed that I finished up for a local business two weeks ago ;)

For large trucks and SUV's, I use a combination of a step stool and opening the doors and standing on the rocker panels (shoes off of course, and I make sure the plastic is strong enough to stand on first) to polish the roof area.  

For the F150 I mentioned, I did the magical *stand-on-the-rear-tire-while-polishing* balancing act to do two-thirds of the cap, and then I stood on the rear bumper to finish the back third of the cap.  Of course, I'm always wearing a very soft t-shirt and shorts/sweatpants in the chance of accidentally leaning into the vehicle.

I do want to get some type of taller step stool, but I already have to be careful not to bonk my head on one lower section of my garage ceiling :wacko:

Something i can say that i don't recommend anyone to try (it gets good lol). What i used to do (key word), was stand on the rail of the bed and then a sideways foot on the little part right next to the rear window, that would help me get up higher in order to get further on the other side of the roof, i could actually get most of the roof that way. Well the bed liner is a plastic bolt-in one. We all know that water on plastic doesn't make the grippiest surface, you can probably guess what happened when my left foot when out and my right foot was stuck on the other side of the bed...........................................