Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Car Prep- ? on paint

03blackSSS

Question

We will be getting a new outback in the coming weeks, and I want to start it's life out right. My question is regarding the curing of the paint. When having something repainted (Classic cars), they always did recommend allowing about 30-60 days for the paint to not only cure, but allow it to off-gas. Unless this has changed with the use of water based paints, I am unsure. This was 10 years ago when I was told this. 

Does this apply to cars built at the factory? Or are the pretty much cured once they leave due to manufacturing processes? I just was to get this thing cleaned and sealed ASAP

Edited by 03blackSSS

13 answers to this question

They have huge ovens in the factory, that are big enough to fit the whole car into.  They put aluminum foil on the floor, and then roll the car in and close the door, obviously the space is preheated to 350.

After about 45 minutes or so they open the door, and roll the car out of the oven (wearing mitts of course), and then its next station is a grated "cooling rack" similar to grated bridges where it rests for an hour or so before they load it onto the freight carrier of choice for delivery.  Your paint is definitely good to go after this pre-delivery process.

:)

Yeah, I have had a bunch of black vehicles. It's not until I found this forum did I start to hate it. I lovely silverado clean, but the extra work trying to keeps holograms, swirls, and scratches out drives me nuts. My 98 outback it doesn't matter, the paint is trashed already. 

The beautiful thing about this new outback, it took a 2 hr drive from the factory, and straight into my hands. No rail dust or dealer installed swirls!!!

Congrats Matt on a great looking vehicle. We just picked up my wife's new Encore last night and I even had her notice that the contaminants are terrible and no plastic bag was needed. I know what I am doing this weekend! I always like to get the calipers and rotors painted too before they start to rust, leather treatment, etc.... I know I have a 15 hour job ahead of me to make it last as long as possible. She deserved a new one after 16 years with her Intrigue and the paint still looks great, except where the rust is of course. LOL