Customer Service 866.965.0400

Recommendations for removing bug stain and fine scratches from clay bar?

GeNOME

Question

I have a new 2015 Subaru STi and it looks like I left a dead bug on the front of my bumper too long and it stained the paint.

I tried using a clay bar on it (don't have a lot of experience with this) without any results. So I tried the clay again pressing a little too hard now I've got scratches from the bar.

I'm assuming next I'll need to use some kind of polish to get the bug stain and fine scratches out. So I've been trying to decide which type of Adam's polish to purchase because I love their products.

I don't have an orbital buffer so I'll be applying this product by hand with a foam pad just to this one small area. The rest of the car is in good shape.

I'm pretty sold on the Revive polish however the Glaze gets brought up a lot on here too.

Which polish should I purchase?

Pic: Kind of hard to see but the stain is to the left of the light reflection and the scratches should be easy to see.

15231395306_0289dd2c22_c.jpg

8 answers to this question

If you have a machine use white pad & PFP ...... or you can use the 4" pads with your drill, if not try Revive or PFP by hand.

No big deal, they will come out.

I think I'll probably get the Adam's polishing pad for cordless drills as I do not have a machine and also get one of their 4" foam pads.

Now I just need to decide between their Finishing polish and Revive polish.

Finishing is basically a medium grit and the Revive is a fine grit?

To be on the safe side I'll probably just go with Revive unless someone has better advice.

Edited by GeNOME

If you are going to use the drill attachment get the Finishing Polish and a white pad.

Revive is for hand polishing and is really just a "deep cleaner".  You won't need it after working the Finishing Polish.

Also - be very careful w/ the drill attachment.  The panel can get hot in a hurry.

I think I'll probably get the Adam's polishing pad for cordless drills as I do not have a machine and also get one of their 4" foam pads.

Now I just need to decide between their Finishing polish and Revive polish.

Finishing is basically a medium grit and the Revive is a fine grit?

To be on the safe side I'll probably just go with Revive unless someone has better advice.

Revive is actually zero grit, it's a chemical polish formulated for hand use.

Finishing Polish is the fine grit, and that's the method I'd go with, combined with the 4" pads.

Gotcha, after reading more info on here I was beginning to suspect Revive was just a cleaner, so I'll go with the Finishing polish.

And once I get the drill pad I plan on practicing a BUNCH on my old beater Tacoma before I get anywhere near my new Subaru.

Now I'm looking at machine polishers.. I was surprised how affordable the Griot's and Porter-Cable random polishers were.

Any recommendations for a budget of about $150 for a polisher? Or is it one of those things like wait and save up more for a better model?

Now I'm looking at machine polishers.. I was surprised how affordable the Griot's and Porter-Cable random polishers were.

Any recommendations for a budget of about $150 for a polisher? Or is it one of those things like wait and save up more for a better model?

I have not used it yet, but I got the Griot's 2 weeks ago. I havent used it yet, but I spent a lot of time deciding between that and paying 2.5 times for the Rupes. From a lot of what I read the Griott's is the best >$300 polisher out there, and is only slightly slower than what the Rupes.