Customer Service 866.965.0400

How do i clean up the clay bar/spray detailer leftover on the paint

KT_F31_EBII

Question

I used a clay bar for the first time after watching the tutorial videos.  The baggy test is very useful and I picked up quite a lot of contamination afterward.  

My question is what is the best way to clean up the left over detail spray left on the paint as i don't have any polishing tools/machines.  

I routinely cleaned my car using 2 buckets, followed by aquawax/detail spray.  

10 answers to this question

I very seldom do a 2 bucket wash after claying, I either wipe down with DS or you could use WW.

I know you said that you don't machine polish but most of the time I machine polish over the clay residue....

Agreed.  You can go either way on this, but I like to just get started with polishing as well. 

thanks for the input, i don't have machine polishing.  My car had opticoat protection applied and most of the time i do two bucket washes, previously drying using Duragloss aquawax/detail sprayers.  

Ready to switch with Adam's equivalent versions.  My BMW F31 is just over a year old driving about 18k km.  i am not confident on machine polishes yet at this point, but i'm very careful on washing and drying my car.

thanks for the input, i don't have machine polishing.  My car had opticoat protection applied and most of the time i do two bucket washes, previously drying using Duragloss aquawax/detail sprayers.  

Ready to switch with Adam's equivalent versions.  My BMW F31 is just over a year old driving about 18k km.  i am not confident on machine polishes yet at this point, but i'm very careful on washing and drying my car.

thanks for the input, i don't have machine polishing.

i am not confident on machine polishes yet at this point, but i'm very careful on washing and drying my car.

Using Adam's Polishes with a dual action orbital machine will not damage your paint. My Lexus probably has one of the softest paints around. I use the Finishing Polish with a Griot's Garage 6" and 4" polishing machine without any fear of marring my paint. Use it with confidence.

Adam's Rinseless wash would work fine for keeping your car clean, and would also be fine for washing after claying, if you wanted to do that.  Washing after claying is a personal choice.  

With the Opticoat protection you do not want to polish the car, as that is the only way to remove the 'permanent' coating.  Also adding a wax or other LSP is not needed, and may not even stick to the surface for long.

GWC can help clean the brake dust off the wheels, but QS can help keep down the accumulation.

What I usually do is wet the car down for the wash, then i go over the car with the wash mit getting all the contaminants off, then rinse it down again to get all of it off. Then I actually use the soap bucket again and will soap up a whole panel again (ie hood) and then use that for the clay bar. Speeds up the process so much, never felt like the clay was dragging, and the clay actually comes out looking fairly clean after each large panel.