Customer Service 866.965.0400

What do you use to apply sealant?

DaveyT

Question

15 answers to this question

Use a machine, if you have one, with a sealant or wax pad.  I have found that the LPS is the hardest product to remove and a machine will help you get a nice, thin coat that will be easier to remove.  When I apply anything by hand, even BG, I never get as thin and even a coat as with a machine, and the thicker and uneven coats are way more work to remove.

A few weeks ago I was in a hurry and put on a coat of BG by hand and it ended up taking longer to remove it than the last application I did with the machine.  If I had just gotten out the Cyclo to begin with, the overall time would have been shorter.

If applying by machine I personally recommend the 4" pad and backing plate as its easier to get into tight contours to spread a coat.

However, I am always surprised at the amount of people who don't wax/seal by hand, noting difficulty of removal.  I have been using a liquid paint sealant from another company for 4 years now and as long as you go by the phrase "Thin is in" meaning apply in ultra thin coats, and less is more, application and removal really is effortless.

Sometimes after hours of polishing with the machine I like the quiet and serenity of doing my LSP by hand, maybe I guess i'm in the minority though.

I actually emailed support the other day about the hex grip applicators and which one to use for sealant. This was the reply:

The Orange Foam in the Hex Grips is an abrasive foam, made for polishing out defects with Paint Correcting Polish.

However, the foam in the other three (blue, yellow, and red) is all the same structure, non-abrasive, so they all three can be used interchangeably for any sealant, glaze, or wax.

We color-code them so you can keep them straight as it's best to not mix-and-match which products you use on an individual applicator.