Customer Service 866.965.0400

Glass Cleaner - Streaks: Doing something wrong?

Horhay7

Question

Hey guys, been a big fan of the adam's products, but there's one I feel like I'm about to give up on, especially after my latest test.

I've been having so many problems with streaks and using the Glass cleaner with the glass microfiber.  For some reason, I just cannot get my windshield streak free.  I've tried claying with glass cleaner, using light mists with glass microfiber, medium mists, heavy mists, etc. w and w/o glass sealant, and just can't seem to get it streak free.  I really thought at this point that it's my method of cleaning and how I use the microfiber that is causing the issue, but then I tried some Stoner's Invisible glass with one of the adam's glass microfibers and it came out absolutely perfect.  So now I'm sitting here with a ton of glass cleaner and thinking it's a product issue.  Have you guys had issues getting glass cleaner streak free?  Is there a trick that I'm missing here?  Any advice you guys might have would be greatly appreciated.

21 answers to this question

Very strange. I've never had a streak.

Most people here will tell you to use less product but it sounds like you've tried this.

Have you tried using some All Purpose Cleaner to strip off anything that might be on the glass?  I wonder if you're getting some kind of reaction with another product....

Yeah, that's weird.  The glass cleaner is one of my favorite products.  Always get a streak free finish with it.  Have you tried using multiple glass towels while cleaning?  Use one for the initial 'heavy' cleaning and then a clean one for the final wipe.

I have found that if you use the same towel, it can 'drag' whatever you cleaned off initially back across your glass.  I think this is the number one culprit for streaky/streaking glass after or during cleaning.

Give it a try and let us know!

PS:  I always only use a dedicated glass microfiber towel from Adam's. (also those towels are designed for the 'heavy' textured side to be used for the cleaning and the 'lighter textured/smoother' side for polishing/final wiping)

Hope this helps!

Edited by Sizzle Chest

On really heavily soiled glass I actually use cheapo costco microfibers initially, with a bit more nap than the Adams glass towel it's easier to get the dirt and grime "absorbed" into the towel.

Then I go over with a light mist and the Adams glass towel to buff to a streak free finish. Keeps your Adams glass towels cleaner for longer amount of time.

I have the same issues with it, and I've even told Adam about it.  For me,it works to get the dirt and grime off, but not in one spray or one wipe.  It takes multiple wipes and multiple sprays to get my windshield clean on the inside. I ONLY use the glass rags though. Never use a micro because they leave lint.  Truth be told, I've had this issue with EVERY glass cleaner I've tried from Stoners to Glass Works to Adam's.  Only thing I've never tried is white vinegar and newspaper. I'm not a fan of getting newspaper ink on the interior of my cars.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I haven't tried cleaning the windows with all purpose. I did clay it with glass cleaner. One thing I'm wondering is that this latest time with the stoners was a cooler day and maybe on warmer days (70+) it bakes on fast? No idea but I have the hardest time. I would say my supply is no more than maybe 5 months old?

Technique and towels.

In direct sunlight when the windows have had a chance to heat up, cleaning glass is just a bad idea - using any product. If I simply MUST clean my windows while the glass is hot, here is what I do:

1) Move to a shaded area

2) Using a taller nap 12x12 microfiber, folded half, then half again, spray glass cleaner directly onto the glass until it is mostly covered. The additional fluid helps cool the glass surface.

3) Wipe horizontally, covering the entire surface.

4) Flip to a dry side and wipe dry.

5) Mist the glass lightly with cleaner
6) Using a glass microfiber folded half then half again, wipe horizontally until the mist has been spread over the surface

7) Flip the microfiber to the dry side and buff horizontally until streaks are gone

Keep practicing!

Thanks guys, it's just got to be my technique, conditions, or something if so many people are having such good luck with the product.  I'm at a disadvantage where I don't have a garage to keep the glass cool so especially during the summer it's a warm windshield.  I've done everything exact to what's on the videos and the ones that are posted here so I'm guessing I've just got to play with it to see what works and what doesn't

If the window is hot, that could be an issue. 

Also, if there is A LOT of dirt, that could do it too.

Try it when it is cool next time.If it is very dirty, you will need to check your clothe and change it often.

Edited by HFX Detailing

Thanks guys, it's just got to be my technique, conditions, or something if so many people are having such good luck with the product.  I'm at a disadvantage where I don't have a garage to keep the glass cool so especially during the summer it's a warm windshield.  I've done everything exact to what's on the videos and the ones that are posted here so I'm guessing I've just got to play with it to see what works and what doesn't

How are you washing your towels?

How are you washing your towels?

With the Glass towels, they're usually not that dirty since I give the car a good cleaning before I do windows, so it's usually just a shot or two of the microfiber conditioner spray and into the wash.  They are mixed with the other microfibers though, so not sure if that could make a difference.  Just add a little bit of tide to the wash.  If there are towels that are really soiled (like towels I use on the rims) I keep them in a separate load.

One thing I just thought of, when I did the windows using the stoner's, I was using the Blue glass microfiber I got in my latest batch from adams.  Up until that point, I used the green glass towels from adams.  Never had any luck with the green ones, but using the blue one with stoner's was perfect.  Any difference in the blue versus green towels?

With the Glass towels, they're usually not that dirty since I give the car a good cleaning before I do windows, so it's usually just a shot or two of the microfiber conditioner spray and into the wash.  They are mixed with the other microfibers though, so not sure if that could make a difference.  Just add a little bit of tide to the wash.  If there are towels that are really soiled (like towels I use on the rims) I keep them in a separate load.

One thing I just thought of, when I did the windows using the stoner's, I was using the Blue glass microfiber I got in my latest batch from adams.  Up until that point, I used the green glass towels from adams.  Never had any luck with the green ones, but using the blue one with stoner's was perfect.  Any difference in the blue versus green towels?

Maybe someone else can chime in, as I only have the blue ones. But I can tell you there is a HUGE difference between the blue glass towels and your average microfiber!

Just the color.  Is it regular Tide or Free n Clear?  Regular detergents can "clog" the microfibers.  

Just the color.  Is it regular Tide or Free n Clear?  Regular detergents can "clog" the microfibers.  

It's just the regular "High Efficiency" Tide.  Never seemed to have any problems with the other microfibers that get washed with any type of residue, but with the glass it could perhaps be more apparent when it exists, not sure.  I'm going to give the glass cleaner a try again on a cooler day with the blue towels, so at least I can be comparing apples to apples with the stoner's.

It's just the regular "High Efficiency" Tide.  Never seemed to have any problems with the other microfibers that get washed with any type of residue, but with the glass it could perhaps be more apparent when it exists, not sure.  I'm going to give the glass cleaner a try again on a cooler day with the blue towels, so at least I can be comparing apples to apples with the stoner's.

This is your problem.  "High Efficiency" refers to the type of washing machine its used for.

Stop washing your microfibers with it.  Immediately.  At least use the Free & Clear if you're going to stick with Tide/All