Customer Service 866.965.0400

Machine Super Sealant and Plastic Trim

HRTKD

Question

I put Machine Super Sealant on my truck in the spring and it looked great, especially the plastic trim.  Then, about 5 weeks later my plastic trim started to look white/chalky.  I didn't attribute it to the MSS at the time.  When I did my fall detailing I got the same results on the trim and put 2 and 2 together. 

I realize that MSS isn't designed for plastic trim but it looked so much better right after applying MSS that I couldn't resist.

What do I need to do to my plastic trim to get it back to "normal"?  Is there anything I need to do to remove the MSS from the trim before I try the Super VRT on it?

10 answers to this question

so let me get this straight, you waxed your black plastic trims as well as your paint?

Yep.  It looked really good for a few weeks.  Best it has in a couple years.  This is mainly the cowl piece between the hood and windshield.

Picture of the cowl is attached.

post-12316-0-30730300-1414012550_thumb.jpg

Peanut butter. Did the trick for me with a whole lot less effort than scrubbing with APC.

The oils in the peanut butter are simply covering the reside. Scubbing with All Purpose Cleaner will remove the reside/contaminants. If you THEN apply your favorite plastic treatment (VRT, In n Out, Peanut Butter), the trim will look that good for weeks and weeks longer.

What I discovered was that, yes, rubber and plastic require some elbow grease to continue looking their best. One does not get the best look by simply applying VRT over and over again. It must be cleaned, first!

Like mentioned above, SCRUB it with All Purpose Cleaner. Use a medium to stiff bristled brush. If you can't get a brush into all areas , use a Mr. Clean magic eraser to scrub the tight spots with APC. I've heard other folks make fun of the magic eraser, but it works wonders when I use it with APC to scrub the black plastics on my truck, especially the tight area on top of my bumper cap, betwenn the bumper and grill. Its only about an inch between the grille and the bumper cap (which is black plastic) and the magic eraser and APC works great in that area.After its completely clean, be sure to treat it with Super VRT or In and Out Spray.

Edited by ScottyBoy