Customer Service 866.965.0400

Piano Black Trim Care & Cleaning

JimAllison

Question

Hello Everyone,

Looking for some advice on care and cleaning of interior piano black trim.  I just leased a 2015.5 Volvo S60 and the one closest to my specs on the lot came with piano black trim on the center stack and doors instead of Volvo's standard brushed metal look.  The look has grown on me as it seems to really class up the car but I am very worried about dust, fingerprints and scratches dulling my enjoyment of it.  

Any tips, tricks and favorite Adam's products to help keep it in top shape?  

Appreciate your input!  I'll post some photos later to show you what the trim looks like in the car.  

Thanks!

Jim

14 answers to this question

Hey Jim!  First, welcome to the site!  That trim should be cared for just as any exterior delicate painted surface...that being, gently cleaned, lightly polished if there are any scratches and sealed to assist in repelling any dirt/stains/buildup. 

I would use the interior cleaner/detailer and then I would either quick seal it or use a wax/sealant of your choice. 

That should help in keeping it looking new!

(if you don't want to go 'nuts' on it, the interior detailer and some polish to remove any scratches will work just fine!)

Looking forward to seeing some pics!

Edited by Sizzle Chest

I used a ceramic coating on my pian black and I am very gentle with it. Still gets light scratches. No way around it but to be very gentle. Blow off dust as much as you can and use detail spray and a very soft towel to prevent as much as you can.

My piano black will be replaced with carbon fiber peices. Piano black trim is a nightmare to maintain.

I used a ceramic coating on my pian black and I am very gentle with it. Still gets light scratches. No way around it but to be very gentle. Blow off dust as much as you can and use detail spray and a very soft towel to prevent as much as you can.

My piano black will be replaced with carbon fiber peices. Piano black trim is a nightmare to maintain.

Agreed

Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate the suggestions.  I like the idea of applying a sealant of some sort but I don't want to have to take the dash apart to do that.  Anyone used the Quick Sealant on a sponge to do this?  I'm worried it will mess with the knobs and buttons if I'm not super careful where I wipe it. 

I'll try and post some photos this weekend!  Once I get some free time when the sun is still up!  

Thanks again for the tips!  

Finally had a chance to grab a few quick shots of the main piece of piano black trim on the center stack.  

Apologies for the lighting and the camera phone...hoping to get some time in the sun with the car this weekend and figure out my full cleaning and protection regimen!  

Would love any more tips and tricks on sealing something like this!

post-8367-0-90620000-1415090726_thumb.jpg

post-8367-0-58897300-1415090748_thumb.jpg

post-8367-0-34191500-1415090763_thumb.jpg

I just dealt with this when helping a friend detail the interior of his new Ford Fusion Titanium that comes with a similar amount of that piano black trim.  

My suggestions:

1)  Don't let any MF towel under a Single Soft even near that stuff!!!  Never use a basic utility towel or bargain store cheap MF near it, you'll end up with a swirled out mess.  We used a new Adams Double Soft and even then were VERY gentle.  NO SCRUBBING.

2)  I would think a gentle spritz of Rinseless Wash or Detail Spray would take care of any smudges or debris.  

3)  I'm overly cautious of the piano black trim since it's crazy how easy it swirls/scratches but I would just give it a gentle wipe with a Double Soft when needed and avoided using too much product on it - sealants, glazes,etc....those are just more opportunities to scratch in while applying it, in my opinion.  

Treat it like paint... very very very very VERY delicate paint. Lubricate whenever its being cleaned (waterless) and use premium towels like the single or double soft towel. The piano black trim in most every car I've encountered with it is prone to scratches from even the most basic cleaning, so exercise a ton of caution.

Welcome to the forums BTW.