Customer Service 866.965.0400

Looking for a Vega project...

b_pappy

So, I may be nuts, but I want to do a (another) Chevy Vega project. I figure my extended Adam's family could produce some leads.

So, I'm looking for a 1971 - 1973 Vega, Hatch, wagon, or Sedan Delivery. I don't want to start with a total basket case though. Non running is fine, 4 cyl, or V8 conversion, doesn't matter. Would be nice if someone had started a project and lost interest, 5 lug conversion, etc.

Anyhow, if you have, or know of something let me know.

Thanks.

Bruce

Bruce4Adams (at) hotmail (dot) com

Bruce, when you find one and start the project keep us informed with lots of pictures like Scott said.

I had 2 V-8 Vegas a long time ago. One had a 215 cu in all aluminum that was built in the early 60's rated at 200HP that weighed 40lbs more than the 4 cylinder that came in the car. The other was a 327 out of 66 Corvette. Man that thing ran even though I built it for the street. It should have been a drag car. 

Good Luck! I see a few at shows around us in the summer. 

We'll see what I find. Some very rough stuff out there, easier and money ahead to buy better, so may not be a complete project. I'm still looking, humorous how proud some people are of their cars, parts and rust.

Years ago I had a Vega wagon with a 383 in it. That was a blast. I've got plenty of cars, just kind of miss a Vega in my life. I can't believe my wife hasn't had me committed though.

Thanks fro the encouragement though!

Bruce

VEGA Car.....wow I barely remember those and back in the days of three speed automatics.

Three speeds! Heck, my '64 Corvette is only a 2 speed, 3 if I count Reverse.

It seems everyone had a Vega once, most have gone to the great beyond. I'm looking to build a first class version.

Three speeds! Heck, my '64 Corvette is only a 2 speed, 3 if I count Reverse.

It seems everyone had a Vega once, most have gone to the great beyond. I'm looking to build a first class version.

What is a two speed automatic? Those are before my time.  The Vega cars are just before my time but I still remember seeing a few of them.   When I started driving it was common to have the three speed automatic with overdrive (four speed as I call them).   My daily driver is a five speed and I think the new models are seven speed.

It is called a Powerglide, and GM had them for a long time. It's still used by drag racers, although the numbers are dwindling. Only 1 shift, so it made for good 1/4 mile times.

On the street it's okay, but another gear for the highway would be nice.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Got one. Just brought it home last night after a 24 hour road trip (and realizing I'm not as young as I used to be). Anyhow, I'm the third owner of a 1972 Vega Kammback (wagon). It's all original, uncut, and unmolested, mainly neglected Arizona car. The engine went sour in 1980 at 55k and they parked it. And there it sat for 32 years. It's a little time capsule.

The underside is bone dry and near perfect. No pics yet, but I'll start a new thread once I get some pics of it.

It will be a long slow build, but worth it.

Bruce

Glad you found one.  How did you end up finding it?  Did the wife go with you to keep you company, or was it solo?  I know for me it is easier to stay awake on a long road trip, even if the other doses off periodically.  Just nice to have someone to talk to.

Chris,

My buddy used to drive big rigs, now he owns a Denali 2500 and a 36' car trailer. He agreed to do the run with me. He drove it all, and I kept him company. It was a bonsai blast, left Los Angeles at 11pm, drove 500 plus miles all night. Ate breakfast in the morning and drove the rest of the way to Tucson to get the car. Some last second hesitation on my part, eventually we bought it, loaded it, turned around and headed home. We got home around 9pm that night. Neither of us slept. My wife and his g/f had a great dinner waiting for us when we got home. Whew, it felt great to lay down afterwards, I was beat. Good to have friends like him.

Bruce

Edited by b_pappy

Leaving at 11 pm, after I assume you had already been up all day, had to have been a struggle.  Having someone that is used to doing a lot of miles I'am sure helped a lot.  I actually prefer to drive at night as opposed to the day.  Glad that you made it home safely, and good luck with that project.