Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning plasti dipped Daytona spoiler

Cfeingold

Question

I have a 2006 Daytona charger. Dipped the wheels and refreshed the faded spoiler/front chin spoiler with dip. It looks great but the spoiler is accumulating a lot of dirt - what is the best way to clean it and get the dirt off before I apply the VRT specifically for the spoiler? 

My plasti dip rim routine I had used their own brake dust cleaner BDP I think it's called and then followed with the VRT and it looks fantastic. I'm out of the BDP and VRT and will be ordering tomorrow. Does Adam's have a product similar to BDP to clean the rims before I apply the VRT?

15 answers to this question

Just looked up the BDP, and it sounds like amazing stuff, "Never touch your wheels again!."  Did it work as advertised, spray on, let set for 2 min, then hose off?  That would be considered an acid cleaner, and while very effective, it might not be a great product to use regularly.

If you are looking for a safe way to clean the spoiler, our Car Shampoo might do the trick....but if it's mega dirty, and that doesn't cut it, try our All Purpose Cleaner, spray on a MF towel, then wipe it down.  That should do it.

As for your wheels, you will like the way our Deep Wheel Cleaner works.  Not an acid, and very effective.  For a more economical cleaner, use either our All Purpose Cleaner, or our Green Wheel Cleaner.

Show us some pix of your Mopar!

for my plasti dip rims, I just use car shampoo and water to clean.  The rims are black so if I don't get all the brake dust off, you can't tell!!  Once I am done, I use detail spray to give a little shine.  I don't use vrt on the rims...I'm too lazy, ha!  Others have said to use waterless wash other than detail spray but I like the looks of the DS on it.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Yeah it works as advertised with a good hose. If I let it go too long two rounds of spraying does the trick. The spoiler is a very rough surface so the microfiber towels get caught extremely easy to where it's close to impossible to wipe down. Will the all purpose soaking for 30 seconds work with a strong hose be worth trying to knock down the dirt?

My wheels are dipped.  I use/used all with great success:  standard wash with Adam's soap, waterless wash, green wheel cleaner, deep wheel cleaner, and then detail spray for a quick cleanup. 

That spoiler sounds filthy if you think you need to let it dwell for 30 seconds or so!  I would try either a 'heavy' dose of waterless wash and let it dwell for a few seconds and then either try to wipe it (I know it's hard with the dipped surface being very grabby) or hose it off.  Your best bet IMO, would be to use Adam's wash and just wash it down like you would any other normal panel on the car...and then blow dry it off with either a master blaster or a leaf blower.  That way you don't have to run the risk of your towel/s grabbing and peeling the dip.

Let us know how you make out and please post some pics of your dipped ride!

Just looked up the BDP, and it sounds like amazing stuff, "Never touch your wheels again!."  Did it work as advertised, spray on, let set for 2 min, then hose off?  That would be considered an acid cleaner, and while very effective, it might not be a great product to use regularly.

If you are looking for a safe way to clean the spoiler, our Car Shampoo might do the trick....but if it's mega dirty, and that doesn't cut it, try our All Purpose Cleaner, spray on a MF towel, then wipe it down.  That should do it.

As for your wheels, you will like the way our Deep Wheel Cleaner works.  Not an acid, and very effective.  For a more economical cleaner, use either our All Purpose Cleaner, or our Green Wheel Cleaner.

Show us some pix of your Mopar!

BDP is pH neutral.  Plasti-dip just doesn't hold onto brake dust that well.  You could advertise DWC as a touchless cleaner for plasti-dipped rims.

I have a 2006 Daytona charger. Dipped the wheels and refreshed the faded spoiler/front chin spoiler with dip. It looks great but the spoiler is accumulating a lot of dirt - what is the best way to clean it and get the dirt off before I apply the VRT specifically for the spoiler? 

Did the spoiler look like this?

June14026_zpsd2a52b3b.jpg

After a only a little bit of polishing:

June14028_zpscf956892.jpg

June14033_zpsed1e55ad.jpg

Polishing the matte spoiler did not make it shiny, just removed the oxidation.

Wow, that looks great!  Also, thanks Matt for  this: BDP is pH neutral.  "Plasti-dip just doesn't hold onto brake dust that well.  You could advertise Deep Wheel Cleaner as a touchless cleaner for plasti-dipped rims."

I may peel the plastidip off and just polish it. Wish I knew that before I dipped it! It looked exactly like the grey in the pic. I have waterless wash it's been raining so haven't tried it yet. It's just caked on there because the rain does nothing to it. Do you have a write up on what you did for that spoiler?

I may peel the plastidip off and just polish it. Wish I knew that before I dipped it! It looked exactly like the grey in the pic. I have waterless wash it's been raining so haven't tried it yet. It's just caked on there because the rain does nothing to it. Do you have a write up on what you did for that spoiler?

I looked around and I don't think I did a write up on that car.  I used PCP and an orange 4" pad (non Adams's).  The pad gets very dirty!

post-1109-0-41078700-1415066301_thumb.jpg

As Cfiengold said above, plastidipped surfaces can be very tricky to wipe clean with any kind of microfiber if the plastidip has even a hint of texture to it from being sprayed on poorly with several thick coats.  For what it's worth, the only thing that I've found that I can actually use to wipe down plastidip without fear of damaging it or peeling an edge is one of those cheap synthetic drying chamois from Autozone...I'm sure you know the brand...but I never use those on any type of paint other than plastidip!  That chamois is very close to a rubber consistency, so once wet, it glides across the rubber dip surface even if there is texture to it.

Back when I still had my TBSS a little over a year ago, I sprayed the entire vehicle in matte Anthracite Gray Metallic plastidip, just to try it out, see what all of the hype was about, and give the truck a cool, different paint scheme for a charity road rally.  I found that Waterless Wash and that chamois mentioned above did wonders at cleaning it.  I had the wheels 'dipped' satin black as well - about 7 coats of matte black with two coats of glossifier sprayed over the matte black dip. 

IMG_6121_zps209d53bc.jpg

One picture of it in rally trim:

IMG_20131003_075424_zps9b9253d9.jpg

And don't worry, it polished up just as nice with Paint Correcting Polish/Liquid Paint Sealant/Brilliant Glaze/Buttery Wax after removal of all of that dip...talk about a pain in the you know...peeling all of that off!

221383_10103286478682264_303965104_o_zps

Lastly, slightly diluted APC zapped that brake dust away no problems, which is also how I've been cleaning the wheels on my lsx Sonoma racetruck...that is until last night when I got bored in the garage and started to peel those wheels too:

20141112_203701_zps0e220fec.jpg

^^^^^ Yes, I know those tires need some SVRT lovin', but the one in the foreground has two big nails in it, so it's going bye-bye anyway :(

Edited by psu goat

Haha yep. I spent about 8 hours of prep work on a Friday doing the alcohol wipe down and masking everything off like windows, wheel wells, and roof...and then another 8 hours the next day spraying on around 14 layered coats of the product, with a 15 minute cure time in between each coat. I used 4.5 gallons or so.

Cleaning Plasti Dipped Surfaces can be a little tricky.  It is perfectly safe to use Adam's Car Shampoo on the spoiler and Green Wheel/Deep Wheel on the rims, just make sure to rinse it off before it dries.

As a previous poster stated, if there is any sort of texture, washing with a pad or microfiber could get caught and be very annoying.  DipYourCar.com has a product called Dip Washer for about $9 that is a rubbery type cloth that is used specifically for washing off dipped surfaces.

I always apply VRT to my dipped surfaces to make them look amazing after the wash!

Good luck!