Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Car Waxing Confusion

cesarid

Question

I read several posts and watched videos on what to apply but i am confused.  One video indicates the glaze is really for car shows.  The americana video indicates it gives the best shine.  I see the glaze video showing it as the last step but forum advice shows seal, glaze, americana?  So let me just start over.  

I am getting a new 2015 white corvette.  I live in Florida and the car is housed in my garage, but used daily.  What are the products and sequence I should apply to have a beautiful car?

19 answers to this question

Wash

Decon (clay)

Paint Correction

Strip Wash or IPA Wipedown

Sealant, then cure

Glaze if you wish

Americana if you wish

Everything after the sealant is just for your own personal satisfaction.

To maintain, do weekly rinseless washes or traditional washes and reapply your LSP as needed (once a month or so).

Honestly... I barely use glaze, the only thing I use it for is to fill small scratches. I've never noticed a glaze giving my black paint a deeper shine or anything like that.

Same, i don't really notice a deeper shine. I mainly use it because it minimizes the swirl marks if there are any; that I actually notice a difference for.

Wash

Decon (clay)

Paint Correction

Strip Wash or Isopropyl Alcohol Wipedown

Sealant, then cure

Glaze if you wish

Americana if you wish

I don't understand the paint correction or strip wash.  There appears to be two paint corrections.  Are one or both necessary on a new car?  And what is strip wash?

Wash

Decon (clay)

Paint Correction

Sealant, then cure

Glaze if you wish

Americana if you wish

I don't understand the paint correction or strip wash.  There appears to be two paint corrections.  Are one or both necessary on a new car?  And what is strip wash?

Paint correction is the process of removing any defects in your clear coat.  Even brand new cars have light defects.  Chances are you can correct them with simply a finishing polish and a finishing pad.  However, you may need to get more aggressive in some spots with a correcting polish and a correcting pad.  That's why Adams provides two types of polishes.

The strip wash is simply a way of removing any polishing oils from your paint before applying your sealant.  It can be accomplished in several ways, just search strip wash on this site or youtube for details.

Wash

Decon (clay)

Paint Correction

Sealant, then cure

Glaze if you wish

Americana if you wish

I would say a strip wash or IPA wipe after polishing is optional.  All these products are intended to work together so the sealant will still bond to the paint.  Durability will still be the same. 

In order to determine if you need correction it's best to evaluate the paint after claying.  If you like the results then proceed with your choice in protection.  If you want to do dome correction to remove swirls, scratches etc then I would recommend you start off with a test spot with the least aggressive product.  The proceed from there.  Let the paint tell you what it needs. 

I would say a strip wash or IPA wipe after polishing is optional.  All these products are intended to work together so the sealant will still bond to the paint.  Durability will still be the same. 

In order to determine if you need correction it's best to evaluate the paint after claying.  If you like the results then proceed with your choice in protection.  If you want to do dome correction to remove swirls, scratches etc then I would recommend you start off with a test spot with the least aggressive product.  The proceed from there.  Let the paint tell you what it needs. 

The IPA wipedown or strip wash serves many purposes after a correction, one of which is to remove polishing oils and dust that may have accumulated during the correction.  But the main purpose it to make sure you have truly removed all defects and not just covered them up.  A post correction inspection of the paint cannot be properly done without stripping the surface again.

The "strip wash" terminology can be used multiple ways.  When I talk about a "strip wash" I'm referring to a wash that strips off any current wax/sealant on the car.  This is done BEFORE claying.  Many of us perform this strip wash by performing a regular two-bucket wash with a couple ounces of All Purpose Cleaner included in the wash bucket with regular Adam's car wash shampoo.  It can also be done with isopropyl alcohol (IPA) a panel at a time if the car is clean.

If your dealer didn't wax or seal your new car this is probably not necessary this time.

The "strip wash" that Chase mentioned was just to wash off any residue from claying and polishing before applying the sealant.  This wash can also be done with a two-bucket wash but I usually do an IPA wipe for this step since the paint is clean.

Once you do it a couple of times it will start to make sense to you.

The IPA wipedown or strip wash serves many purposes after a correction, one of which is to remove polishing oils and dust that may have accumulated during the correction.  But the main purpose it to make sure you have truly removed all defects and not just covered them up.  A post correction inspection of the paint cannot be properly done without stripping the surface again.

This is true but since this member is trying to avoid confusion and to make it simple, then I would say an IPA wipe is optional. 

We need to know more info in terms of him having a DA or not. 

If he is doing this by hand then I would

Wash

Clay

Revive

Seal

If he has a DA

Wash

Clay

Polish

Seal

If he wants to take it up a notch

Wash

Clay

Polish

Seal

Wax

To go even further

Wash

Clay

Polish

Seal

Glaze

Wax

There are so many options but to help him understand the confusion simplicity would be the way to go.  As his detail knowledge grows then he can proceed to other steps. 

I read several posts and watched videos on what to apply but i am confused.  One video indicates the glaze is really for car shows.  The americana video indicates it gives the best shine.  I see the glaze video showing it as the last step but forum advice shows seal, glaze, americana?  So let me just start over.  

I am getting a new 2015 white corvette.  I live in Florida and the car is housed in my garage, but used daily.  What are the products and sequence I should apply to have a beautiful car?

Hi Dennis, congrats on your new Stingray! Great input here.   White is an easy color to maintain, and unless you are staring at the finish under the garage lights, you might be good for a simple plan.   If you are up for a simple plan, here's what I would do:

1. Wash & Dry thoroughly, Car Shampoo, Great White Drying Towel, etc.
  2. Clay Bar the paint, class, and wheels. (Vettes come new with contamination...all of them do!  Clay removes it safely and easily.)
  3. Are you are happy with the finish? Apply a coat of Liquid Paint Sealant to all of the above mentioned surfaces. (Florida sun is hot, and it sounds like you will be parking the car outside during the day, at work, play, golf?) 
  4. Want a better finish? Hand apply a coat of Revive Polish, then follow with the Sealant.

Thanks Dennis, and again, congrats!