Customer Service 866.965.0400

How do I make satin black wheels pop?

PT3

Question

Is it by the grace of God perhaps a 6MT?

No way! It's not a sports car or track car. It's a daily driven, 4300 lb four door, powerful, executive luxury-sport sedan with sporty characteristics and capabilities. I gladly opted for the dual-clutch transmission.

Plus, the dual clutch tranny (DCT) is an engineering marvel!!! It's an 'automated manual' with two primary shafts. Even gears on one, odd gears on the other. It doesn't use a torque converter. So when you're in 3rd (for example) it spins up 2nd and 4th so they're at the same speed as 3rd. No way any human can row gears more efficiently. You have full control of what gear you're in, just don't need to press a clutch pedal or row the shifter through the various shift gates. Ferrari, lambo, P-cars, Maclaren, etc.. are all using this tech.

I DO, however understand the feeling of rowing gears. I've had MANY manual trannys in my day.

Sick car, omg on the Nurburgring too, ridiculous!

I understand the DCT technology, and know it outdoes humans, trust me no argument there, its amazing what these transmissions can do now.  For me though, it's about the mechanical connection to the vehicle, I enjoy a clutch pedal and a gated shifter.  Yes I also *sigh* that the exotics have done away with a pure manual as well.

I just wish that the exotics, and some other companies, vehicles etc would still just OFFER it.  BMW does, which is great.  But if I am so blessed to be able to afford a Ferrari, etc, I wish I actually was still given the option to "row my own".  Porsche has also done a great job over the years continuing to offer manual in many models.

It's got to be a blast to drive in either configuration, I wish I owned one.  And I'm just glad that BMW still offers a true manual in the M5 for those of us that still want the true driving pleasure of a performance car with one.

Best of luck with it, the new M5 is truly a beast and is the closest yet to the groundbreaking vehicle that the E39 M5 was back in the late 90's.  The E60 did not stir the soul like yours does.

Sick car, omg on the Nurburgring too, ridiculous!

I understand the DCT technology, and know it outdoes humans, trust me no argument there, its amazing what these transmissions can do now. For me though, it's about the mechanical connection to the vehicle, I enjoy a clutch pedal and a gated shifter. Yes I also *sigh* that the exotics have done away with a pure manual as well.

I just wish that the exotics, and some other companies, vehicles etc would still just OFFER it. BMW does, which is great. But if I am so blessed to be able to afford a Ferrari, etc, I wish I actually was still given the option to "row my own". Porsche has also done a great job over the years continuing to offer manual in many models.

It's got to be a blast to drive in either configuration, I wish I owned one. And I'm just glad that BMW still offers a true manual in the M5 for those of us that still want the true driving pleasure of a performance car with one.

Best of luck with it, the new M5 is truly a beast and is the closest yet to the groundbreaking vehicle that the E39 M5 was back in the late 90's. The E60 did not stir the soul like yours does.

Thanks bud! I totally understand what you mean about being 'connected' to the machine and the experience being more 'involving'. I'll be looking at a 911, 458, 430 and Z06. And I will definitely be test driving any manual option. For me, I want my lighter, two-door sports car to be manual to have more of a connected driving experience.

FYI... For this gen M5... The MT is only offered in the US. The belief is the next gen M5/M6 will NOT be offered with a manual tranny option. However, the M2/3/4, WILL be offered with a manual.

And thanks!!!... The M5 is the perfect daily driver. It's luxurious, comfortable... But at the same time it's a beast with approx 600+ HP and approx 550 lb/ft of TQ. Add in the adjustable engine mapping, suspension, transmission and steering... You can tune the car to whatever your mood and situation. And, I can fit 3 people comfortably... And it's got a huge trunk so it's good for road trips. On top of it... It looks amazing!

Edited by PhilT3 2014 BMW M5

now that's cool...you lucky sob!!!

Thanks Jeff! Yes, I am 'lucky'... And very fortunate to be able to create my own luck as I'm healthy and have great support from my family that allows me to focus on my work... Which ultimately allows my family and I to have awesome experiences, like driving my brand new M5 on the 'Ring.

If I opt for anything but the Z06 or 430 for the 'toy car', we'll do the same thing...take delivery at the factory in Europe and hit the 'Ring again.

Thanks bud! I totally understand what you mean about being 'connected' to the machine and the experience being more 'involving'. I'll be looking at a 911, 458, 430 and Z06. And I will definitely be test driving any manual option. For me, I want my lighter, two-door sports car to be manual to have more of a connected driving experience.

FYI... For this gen M5... The MT is only offered in the US. The belief is the next gen M5/M6 will NOT be offered with a manual tranny option. However, the M2/3/4, WILL be offered with a manual.

And thanks!!!... The M5 is the perfect daily driver. It's luxurious, comfortable... But at the same time it's a beast with approx 600+ HP and approx 550 lb/ft of TQ. Add in the adjustable engine mapping, suspension, transmission and steering... You can tune the car to whatever your mood and situation. And, I can fit 3 people comfortably... And it's got a huge trunk so it's good for road trips. On top of it... It looks amazing!

911 4S with the 7 speed manual.  Great sports car and comfortable enough to drive everyday.  

911 4S with the 7 speed manual.  Great sports car and comfortable enough to drive everyday.

I'm looking for a weekend toy. The M5 is the daily.

Plus... The GT3 really has my eye....and ears! Nothing like a NA motor winding up to 9k!