Customer Service 866.965.0400

Fraud

LFairbanks

We all know or know of someone that has been a victim of fraud in one way or another.  My idea for starting this thread was to make those of us on here aware of different methods of fraud that may be circulating.  Especially with the Holidays coming up.

So I thought I would share my wife's experience with a phone call that she got last week.  We have caller ID (like everybody now days) and she missed the phone call and called back.  She got a recording and hung up.  No sooner did she hang up they called back.  Those that don't know my wife can be be caught off guard.  She may be a female, but she is definitely a firecracker and won't put up with people that are being unscrupulous. And she doesn't care if your a man or not.  I made the joke one time when we were in Disney World Epcot walking through the Middle East part of the park that she needed to walk behind me.  Imagine the response I got....lol.  Along with "you can walk behind me".

Caller asked for no one specifically as they only had our last name.  My wife asked them what they wanted.  Guy was kind of demanding and the wife opened up her can on him.  He claimed to be from the IRS.  He tried to get her under control, by trying to be authoritative by asking her if she knew who she was talking to.  Her response, was "you called my house, so yeah I know who I'am talking to.  Send an agent over, I will be waiting".  And then hung up.  They tried calling again a few hours later, but she didn't bother answering.  

I did some looking on the internet and found that this was a pretty popular scam.  But unfortunately some are fooled by it.  And the person on the other end trying to be authoritative may work in some instances.  

Below are several links that may be helpful.

First one is on phone scams.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0076-phone-scams

Thought this below link was interesting.  Apparently there is a way to see where a picture come from that someone may be posting by doing a reverse image search.  It explains how to do this in the below link.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/new-dogand-scammers-old-tricks?utm_source=govdelivery

I signed up in the below link to get updates from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) on scams that are going around.  After you sign up there will be an email that will allow you to click on boxes, (topics of conversation) that your interested in subscribing to.  I believe that is how it worked.  

https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USFTC/subscriber/new?category_id=USFTC_C7

Here is a link with a long list of current scams.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/scam-alerts

There is a way to report a scam to the FTC.  I did this exact thing with the incident that occurred last week.  Here is the link to do just that.  I think if we all push back it will eventually make it more difficult on those that aren't honest.  

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

You may want to tell your kids that if someone calls asking for information, and adult isn't available to just hang up.  If it is important they will call back when an adult is available.  Also share this information with anybody that you know that is elderly that may fall victim to this as well as any other scams.  Such as being a family member that is locked up in jail and needs bail money scam.

Hopefully the above information helps prevent someone from falling victim.  

It's the kids on the internet that I worry about. 

My wife doesn't take anything off of anybody. And if she's mad enough to use the F word (NEVER USES IT) .....................you best be another county before she finishes the word.  :lolsmack:

Funny, we just got a phone call today on the answering machine, claiming to be the IRS and they were starting suit against me. The wife and I looked at each other and laughed, but unfortunately they may catch someone a little gullible.

Bruce

Another thing that I see a lot of is credit card number theft.  I deliver at least  a dozen replacement cards a day.  Some of the stories are crazy.  Had someone tell me that her husbands card was hijacked and they were attempting to charge $2500 at a cabana in Brazil  Have heard of people using cards to buy a lot of diesel fuel on the East Coast.  My point is, don't let your debit card leave your hand.  People have card readers and will swipe your number and use it or sell it.  With a credit card it is the banks money hanging in the balance while the situation is investigated.  A debit card it is your money.   

Another popular scam that I used to see a lot of was the secret shopper.  They would send overnight a check for as much as 5K.  That was the biggest that I intercepted.  I was able to pick them out like a soar thumb.  Boss told me that I should work for the FBI....lol.  Had one guy chase me down and ask if I had an overnight letter for him.  I spent a good 15 minutes talking to him and trying to convince him that it was a scam.  What they would do is ask you to cash the check, buy certain products.  Keep your share and send the product and unused money back to them.  And you would be screwed.  In the end he thanked me for taking the time to explain to him as to what was going on and how it worked.  I felt really bad for him as I could tell that he was down on his luck to begin with and this dirt bag was taking advantage of that while he was already at a low point. 

I had a credit card hijacked a few years back.  It was a Marriott Rewards card that I had recently got, and pay off every month.  It wasn't hard to pin point where it was compromised.  I was in Hawaii and the place that we were staying at had their computers hacked.  They also had hotels here on the mainland that were compromised.  Someone was trying to buy $1700 worth of stuff at a Saks 5th Avenue store in Atlanta.  

• 4 weeks later...

I keep getting calls from New York.  Apparently I won a trip and all I have to do is send them money to cover the taxes.  

I'll get right on that. 

Rich.  Submit the info that you have with the phone number if you have caller ID (which I assume you probably have).  

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/Information?OrgCode=#crnt&panel1-1

I think the more people submit info.  The more likely these kinds of turkeys will get shut down.  Or at least hopefully have their phone line disconnected.

My mother here in IL had recently had someone try and pull the IRS scam.   We have a nice service in our county.  You can sign up online and the Police send emails with warnings and info about the latest scams.  Also we get text messages with any traffic conditions in the area.  Luckily she had heard about this scam a couple weeks earlier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...