Customer Service 866.965.0400

Bug/Tar Remover?

Norton

Question

11 answers to this question

You need a decent solvent base to dissolve tar so to be honest I'd try using brilliant glaze cut 1:1 with water if you want to use an Adams product available now.

For tar id stick with what you're using Norton, But for bugs honestly at 8:1 dilution the Rinseless works amazing at dissolving bugs and won't affect your LSP like a dedicated tar remover would.

Dylan and I have been playing.....stay tuned!  How do you like the Tarminator?

Not that the question was directed towards me, but I haven't had any issues with the Tarminator.  I have tried other off the shelf stuff that didn't work as well.  I even used it to help remove 3M double sided tape residue off of some moulding so that I could re-attach it.

There is something being tested, early phases right now. Symawd is right on the money - if the coating proves to do what we want/need it to the need for a B&T may be reduced.

Keep the feedback coming - we always want input to shape the products and the direction of the line.

FWIW - the only turtle wax product I'm a fan of is their B&T remover... It's effective, cheap, and readily available.

You need a decent solvent base to dissolve tar so to be honest I'd try using brilliant glaze cut 1:1 with water if you want to use an Adams product available now.

For tar id stick with what you're using Norton, But for bugs honestly at 8:1 dilution the Rinseless works amazing at dissolving bugs and won't affect your LSP like a dedicated tar remover would.

I hadn't thought about BG, which is an interesting idea.  I use RW, as suggested, but end up reaching for Tarminator when I encounter something that requires a "stronger" approach.

There is something being tested, early phases right now. Symawd is right on the money - if the coating proves to do what we want/need it to the need for a B&T may be reduced.

Keep the feedback coming - we always want input to shape the products and the direction of the line.

FWIW - the only turtle wax product I'm a fan of is their B&T remover... It's effective, cheap, and readily available.

This is great news.  I'm eager to see what develops... :lurk:

FWIW, Adam, Tarminator works relatively well.  I've just come to trust your brand more than any other when it comes to my detailing needs.  

Adam in my experience Tarminator is pretty awesome at pulling old tire dressing off the tire and getting them 100% clean if you are having trouble getting them totally stripped, even after multiple hits with APC.  I can go over a dry tire with Tarminator and a throwaway MF towel and pull the rest of the grime off.  Also works effortlessly at getting old wheel weight adhesives off.  Definitely a benchmark to use for comparison if you are developing something.

However, I'd agree with Dylan and SYMAWD if you guys come out with a coating that is bug/tar resistant I'd be more interested in having one of the qualities of the coating be its superior resistance to things like that, and like he mentioned above perhaps APC would be all thats needed to dissolve it (and still not affect the coating itself).

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Just cutting to the nitty gritty of the chemistry behind a B&T remover - 

A good one is going to use PD's (Petroleum Distillates - GASP! Dirty word in the car care world) aka solvent, but its going to be a fairly aggressive one to break down bug proteins as well as oil/tar. This poses a threat to painted chrome (front end of almost all domestic trucks anymore for example) and other delicate finishes.

The key is gonna be finding the balance between the products ability to break down the B&T, but not damage things - thats where we're at right now, trying to find that balance.

The one I use the most often is the Duragloss version. I like it a lot. Another company suggests using their car wash at full strength with a microfiber towel and gently rubbing any stubborn bug guts off that way.  Never tried it but it's an interesting idea.