Photo

FAQ: "Should I use wax or sealant on my car?"

best wax for black paint wax or sealant wax vs sealant choosing wax choosing sealant layering LSP decisions

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Antv20

Antv20

New AF Detailer

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:52 PM

Thanks Doc.

• Team Adam's likes this

#22 wirebender

wirebender

wirebender

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:38 AM

Thank you sir! So glad you're back! Been missin ya and this write up is right on time as I just got some patriot wax and have been considering (after polishing my ZL1) layering sealant, glaze then patriot. I think it will give the "blue ray metallic" paint (dark blue) a nice depth of shine. What do you think?

The sealant and then glaze gives an awesome finish....thought I might try to improve on near perfection!

[SIGPIC]2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, Sunroof, L99, A6, Roto-Fab CAI, VMS ECM & TCM tune, VMS HSRK, XS Power LTs, Kooks HF's, LSR sways, B&M tranny cooler, GMPP axle back,Barton shifter, Gen 1 bling, etc.

#23 ECaulk

ECaulk

5280 Cobalts

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:06 AM

Good write up Dylan, glad to see you back at Adam's. If you're looking for someone to test out the coatings, I'll gladly be a test car :D

34f5beb6-5406-40c0-8c8d-bad3108927a1.jpg

#24 Redline Challenger

Redline Challenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:54 PM

Thanks Dylan! This is GREAT info!

#25 scott750

scott750

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:24 PM

Fantastic writeup! Very informative!
2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS Silverstone Metallic

#26 DJJimGreen

DJJimGreen

Detail Monkey

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:44 PM

Great write up... and now all I want is for Adam's to come out with their version of an opti-coat. :)

#27 TheBurninator

TheBurninator

Master AF Detailer

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:57 PM

Great write up... and now all I want is for Adam's to come out with their version of an opti-coat. :)

It is in the works

#28 DJJimGreen

DJJimGreen

Detail Monkey

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:01 PM

It is in the works

I saw that. I made a quiet "yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees" at my desk. Hahaha

#29 Z06Seal

Z06Seal

New AF Detailer

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:16 AM

Good article. Was just going to post this for a question, so I'm glad I looked here...

So for a daily driver, I don't see much of a benefit of putting on wax then. Sealant will do. I don't need it shining like a show car. 

now the garage queen corvette that gets maybe 5K miles a year... I suppose sealant can't hurt, but I feel like going right from polishing to a wax, topped off with glaze sounds like a good idea. and every time you wanna bring out the shine (car show, weekend outing) you put on a layer of glaze and you're good for another few days. probably wax once a month with buttery, and few months with americana

man, sometimes it gets overwhelming lol

Edited by Z06Seal, 20 February 2015 - 01:48 AM.

#30 SJC96GT

SJC96GT

Master AF Detailer

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:43 AM

now the garage queen corvette that gets maybe 5K miles a year... I suppose sealant can't hurt, but I feel like going right from polishing to a wax, topped off with glaze sounds like a good idea. and every time you wanna bring out the shine (car show, weekend outing) you put on a layer of glaze and you're good for another few days. probably wax once a month with buttery, and few months with americana

man, sometimes it gets overwhelming lol

For your garage queen, throw down glaze before wax, it'll trap the 'pop' that glaze gives the paint and make it last longer.

#31 Eric

Eric

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:25 AM

Great write up! I just stripped and sealed my car on Sunday. It's been in the garage since I finished. Could I potentially go in tonight clean it up with some waterless wash (or even just detail spray?) and put a coat of glaze then Americana? Or does this process need to be done one after the other on the same day?

2017 Lightning Blue Ford Mustang GT | Signature Wheels SV104 | Michelin Pilot SS

mustang%20signature_zpss5rtudnb.jpg

#32 Beemer

Beemer

Just a boy and his rocket.

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:21 AM

Spreading it out over a few days is fine. Just make sure it's clean before each step.

gallery_6940_3_130102.png

#33 Brews02ws6

Brews02ws6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

I'm almost done polishing my garage queen - 2002 Trans Am, 36k miles, white - and want to layer a few products. I have H2O Guard & Gloss, Americana, and Buttery Wax at home. I was under the impression that H2OGG was only for short-term protection, but here it's listed as a sealant that can be used as a base when layering.

Would it be silly to use H2OGG as the base before applying Americana? Or would I be better off simply using Americana (possibly topped with Buttery Wax)? My goal here is more shine than protection and for it to last the next couple months.

Between drives, I assume Detail Spray will help without much affect on the wax?

#34 Beemer

Beemer

Just a boy and his rocket.

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:57 PM

No - it would NOT be silly to use H2O as a base layer and then put Americana on top of it. It probably won't last as long as Paint Sealant but there are so many variables that effect longevity it's hard to give an estimate.

I would NOT top Americana with Buttery. Americana is a very high quality wax that will give you an incredible shine. Buttery will not improve it. If you want to put Buttery down after a month or two it would be fine but if you have Americana - use Americana.

Detail Spray is perfect for wipe downs and will only boost the wax.

• Brews02ws6 likes this

gallery_6940_3_130102.png

#35 Brews02ws6

Brews02ws6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:47 PM

Great, thanks for the reply Beemer! I'll save Buttery for our daily drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users