Customer Service 866.965.0400

Project Vega

b_pappy

Here's what I found to start out with.

Most of these have been rode hard and put away wet. I looked at mostly "project" cars, started and abandoned. It was depressing actually. Nothing I even really wanted to drag home for free, much less paying the money people were asking for them.

Finally, on a lark, I searched Craigslist in Tucson, Az and there she was. Parked in 1980 and left for better days. It's all original, and largely rust free, although everything needs to be re-done, at least I'm not going backwards.

It's going to be a long process, time and money restricted, but we're planning a 383 stroker, 200 4R trans, Don Hardy headers and mounts, Chris Alston & Spohn chassis parts, and lots of GM parts where I can; 4 wheel disc brakes, narrowed posi rear end. I want to make it look as much like GM built it as I can.

Ugly as sin right now, but I'm excited.

Bruce

a pic (this is CA, but very cold that morning, so lots of frost)

022_zps75b8e343.jpg

Edited by b_pappy

Awesome!  Glad you found a good base to start your project with!   FWIW:  take a look at the LS motors to build...a lot lighter than a typical SBC and they make killer power (the heads are fantastic from the factory and breathe like crazy).

Keep us posted!!!

post-319-0-23117300-1420507165_thumb.jpg One that I liked.

When I had my Vega with a 327 in it we put a Don Hardy shortened rear end in it without tubbing the car and fit some decent tire inside the wheel wells with only bending the lip in. Might be a shortcut for you since you mentioned them. 

Have you figured out the engine mount system yet? We had a front mount for the engine to save room on the sides. I will watch with a lot of interest to bring back my glory Vega days. 

Best of Luck and keep the pics coming.

Edited by McDuff

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I'm thinking a 383, old school, but an LS is possible.

The reason I'm going with the Don Hardy kits is to use conventional side mounts. I know there are a lot of front mounts running around, but I really dislike that method.

We'll look around for rear options. I'd like a 12 bolt, but I'm told the S-10 would work out fine. Heading out to Pomona in a few weeks to scout parts.

Bruce

The second car I owned was a '71 Vega station wagon.  Blue metallic and aluminum slot wheels.  I LOVED that little car!  It broke my heart when I sold it, and even more when I saw what became of it.  It was beyond any hope of restoration at that point.  Can't wait to see how yours turns out.  I may even begin searching for one myself...

Broke the hood release trying to open the hood... guess that's one more part I need now.

I'm thinking this one will be Muslanne Blue with a white GT stripe, but that is way down the road.

My wife and I had one when we first got together, so she is totally behind the project (man I got lucky when I found her).

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

No real progress yet, but I've been busy collecting parts:

2nd gen Camaro Z/28 wheels

S-10 front hubs and spindles

10 bolt rear end with disc brakes

tubular front control arms (AJE Racing)

front coil overs (Viking Performance)

Tubular rear control arms (Spohn)

Sub frame connectors (Chris Alston)

That should be almost enough to get going on the suspension. Still debating on power steering. can't find all the parts I need.

Bruce

Edited by b_pappy

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I guess we're making some progress.

2015-02-05%2016.06.33_zpspdmdgwrs.jpg

Hah, you'd think she was Megahn Trainor (All About That Bass, not Miranda Lambert) the way we're looking at her rear... Actually we're measuring to narrow the rear end, and apparently it takes three of us, plus my wife taking pictures, and the shop girl doing math. I happened to be in dress clothes that just about matched the shop uniforms.

2015-02-05%2016.32.24_zpsjrpgefzt.jpg

Edited by b_pappy

• 1 month later...

Just about done suspension collecting parts, and disassembling everything.

We narrowed the rear end 3.75" per side! Dang, sure hope we measured right! When we make positive progress I'll post some new pics.

I also decided to put in a first gen Camaro fuel tank, doubles my capacity, which with the 383 will be a plus.

Bruce

Good news, we measured right! All the brackets are transferred over to the new rear end and it fits perfect.

New tubular control arms work great too. Not excited about this sway bar, changing to a different one. A long ways to go, but moving the right direction. As soon as it rolls again we are sending it down the street to weld in the sub frame connectors and fit the Camaro tank.

And the motor (ZZ383 Deluxe) is at the dealer with my name on it.

IMAG0218_zpsrgbfduio.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

two steps forward, one back...

The rear disc calipers hit either the frame, or the rear springs. Rear brakes are overrated anyhow. :-) Okay, so now we're moving the spring percehes inboard. Cool though, the rear end fits like we knew how to measure and everthing.

Bruce

IMAG0226_zpsub3vkvv5.jpg

IMAG0227_zpsmkbvrb8y.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tubular control arms are in up front, along with the left side coilover.  I wound up getting a lead on some coilovers for the rear that eliminate needing to move the spring perches. They don't "bolt right in", but pretty sure we can make them fit.

IMAG0234_zpsbmkbcmlb.jpg

Bruce

Nice work!  Good progress.  The rear is looking good...and that 12 bolt will handle whatever you are going to throw at it.  The coil overs will make it so much 'cleaner' and neater underneath as well as give you a helluva lot more room back there!  Not to mention the adjustability/etc.

Keep us posted!

• 1 month later...

Making some progress. Got coilovers and disc brakes on all 4 corners. No engine yet. Next stop is teh fabricator for sub frame connectors and 18 gallon fuel tank, custom traction bars and some other stuff. Her she sits, a litle high up front.

Bruce

IMAG0256_zpslbzua9vn.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The car rolls again, and now it's at the fab shop. I was literally so stunned I forgot to take pictures. They have the engine / trans mocked up with cases to fit the mounts and headers, plus the entire cargo area is cut out to install the first gen Camaro fuel tank and battery box. These guys are doing top drawer work, really blew me away. Right next to my Vega is Axl Rose's '55 Chevy, so my Vega has good company. Some other outstanding cars there too. Plus the fabricator is so down to earth and cool it's amazing. He thinks it's pretty cool to be a V8 Vega these days, did some good ones back in the day. The sub frame connectors will take some work. Next time by I'll get some pics.

I really need to give a thanks to my wife too, she's just happy I'm happy, and finally doing it. She's pretty amazing, and has agreed to let me keep everything until we get this one running, then I'll probably sell something to have a parking spot for it when it comes home.

Bruce

Edited by b_pappy