Customer Service 866.965.0400

Project Vega

b_pappy

I haven't made it back by the fab shop, but my mechanic has. he is keeping close tabs on progress and budget for me. Fortunately he is a much better mechanic than photgrapher, excuse the cell phone pics.

We've cut the old 10 gal gas tank and spare tire well out and fabricated a new cargo area to support a first gen Camaro gas tank. They also cut the floor to weld the Chris Alston sub frame connectors, and tied in the rear trans mount. Still lots to more to go, but here's progress:

This is the area under the cargo deck floor. The cutout is for access to the top of the gas tank. The fill neck will behind the license plate like factory. This is primarily a street car, so no fuel cell.

20150605_120156_zpsmz8hmrwr.jpg

From underneath at the same area. It should look factory when we're done:

20150602_141335_zpsgplxjdsk.jpg

Here's a close up of the cut in the belly to install the sub frame connectors. These are about 48" long, and the rear trans mount ties into them.

20150605_120331_zpswirxc0dz.jpg

Bruce

Edited by b_pappy

A little more progress, and better pictures. Motor mounts, trans mount, sub frame connectors are in, gas tank area almost done. These guys are really doing a top notch job. A liilte more to do, thenn should be back from fab next week, and ready for engine. It will go back and forth a few times.

Bruce

100_6240_zpsxbcrpfyt.jpg

100_6239_zpsycpesik8.jpg

100_6236_zpskazcacrc.jpg

Project Vega made it back from the fab shop. These guys did great work. As mentioned, they built the rear area to hold a 1st gen Camaro gas tank, fixed the motor mounts (R/S was way off) built the trans mount, did the sub frame connectors, reinforced the upper and lower rear shock mounts to handle the extra load from the coil overs, nerfed the front bumper, adapted the steering shaft, and the list goes on. Then I had body shop etch, prime and paint all the new metal, seal all the external seams and undercoat the areas. A few new pics.

100_6253_zpsxyw6phbg.jpg

Not quite sure how I'll finish the interior. I'm leaning towards Zolotone spatter trunk paint, after we seal all the seams. This will be under the rear cargo deck panel.

100_6242_zpsuihfpp6u.jpg

Kind of a shame to spray their beautiful sheet metal work, but had to be done. I really like the way he built up the upper and lower coil over mounts. Since he has built pro stock cars before, we're both happy with the results. The gas tank will cover most of this anyhow.

100_6246_zpspkxalbpb.jpg

You can't even hardly see the sub frame connectors, but boy are they beefy. Again, going with his chassis experience, we're both happy with the results.

100_6248_zps5rfar9sb.jpg

Not much protection, but the nerfed bumpers look so good.

Bruce

Edited by b_pappy

Thank you, yes, very happy with progress and results so far.

Yeah, i always liked the spatter paint in trunks.

Engine will be a ZZ383 (450 hp / 450 tq) backed with a 700R4 trans. Going to back off a bit on progress so the bank account can recover a bit.

Bruce

• 1 month later...

Just an update, with not a lot of progress to report. Whoever said "building a Vega was cheap" never built a Vega. Anyhow, project is slowed down till I sell either or both of these. Not really listing them for sale here, but If anyone here is interested let me know, but they are listed on other sites.

So, we're starting to Dynamat, and other small things that need to be done on the Vega.

And yes, some people think I'm nuts to sell either of those to build a Vega. It's just something I want to build fo rmy wife and I to cruise in (1320' cruises).

Bruce

2005%20XLR%20001_zpsjfrz91zk.jpg

El%20Camino%20June%202015%20003_zps5f65d

Edited by b_pappy

Please add me to the list of people that think you are crazy for selling that El Camino.

Yeah, that's a long list, but I can't own all the cars I want at once, so I have to sell one occasionally. The wife is into the Vega project too which helps a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

Well my El Co headed off to a new home today. Very sad to see it ride off into the sunset, but we ceratinly had lots of fun memories over the 10 years we owned it. I gave him some Adam's products to keep it clean. Hope he's a worthy owner.

Bruce

• 1 month later...

My little project is still coming along. Finally went down to buy to the engine, out of stock. No biggie, let's order it. National stop sales order on it. Call a few dealers, even big ones like Scoggin-Dickey, no one is really sure what's going on, but confident a 383 will be back in the line up soon. I wait.

Finally I get anxious and pull the plug, we'll just build one from scratch; SCAT rotating assembly, forged crank & rods, Comp roller cam, P&P alum heads, the wish list goes on.

Today I hear from my trans guy that the ZZ383 was advertised at 450 HP, but only making about 440, so they called them all back home and will reidentify them as ST383 engines, rated at 420 HP (but still closer to 440 number). They were apparently afraid of a lawsuit.

Oh well, mine is in work and will be a great motor, and should make even better numbers.

So the project is still moving the right direction.

We still have a ton to do too.

Bruce

OH this is so cool. Great build. And I love the XLR. 

Thanks, appreciate the support. Yeah, sold the Elky, so the XLR is sticking around.

Hopefully get some more info this Friday when I speak with the builders.

Bruce

• 4 months later...

I haven't abandoned the project, just dealing with small hurdles. GM saw fit to discontinue, and recall unsold models of the crate motor I wanted, so I went with a custom build. Started with 350, 4 bolt main, then bored and stroked to 383, forged and balanced internals (American made naturally), aluminum heads, and lots of other great parts. Should be between 450 -500 HP and TQ, plenty for my little street car. Trans is ready too, a built 700 R4. Have to modify the custom oil pan, then start test fitting drivetrain. Still a long ways to go, but making progress.

383_stroker_zps16vrongg.jpg

Bruce

• 2 months later...

update, but not a lot of progress. We installed an Edelbrock airgap manifold and Holley 750 carb on. Got an engine test stand so we can run it before we install it. Coming along slowly, hopefully the pace picks up a bit. Just didn't want anyone thinking the project was abandoned.

Bruce