Customer Service 866.965.0400

Project Vega

b_pappy

• 1 month later...

Woot, fired the engine up today. That's the good news. It's still on the test stand, but at least we ran it. Holy smokes, it sounds great. No oil leaks, which was kind of surprising with all the cuts and welds in the oil pan. Hopefully it finds it's way into the car soon.

We're using modified Don Hardy engine mounts, so they mount to the side of the block like traditional engine mounts. Most of the kits use a butterfly mount off the front of the engine, and rear trans mount, with no mid-plate mount. This is stronger, and looks better. Just gives us a few more headaches along the way.

Anyhow a bit of progress for the project.

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

You and me both. :)

We're making progress, and I knew it would be slow, plus, what a would a project be without unforeseen hurdles? Going by tomorrow to visit, check progress and hopefully get a bit of a status update.

Thanks for checking in.

Bruce

Keep filling us in Bruce. There are those of us lurking on here that don't post much but read all about things like your Vega project. As a former owner of 2 V-8 Vegas you definitely have my interest. You are doing it right unlike some of the ones that I have seen at some car shows here that are butchered. I always wish I could have one of mine back. The 327 was wild and the 215 was a real sleeper. 

Fun to see them brought back to life. I will be interested to see how you do the headers with side engine mounts. Like you said hurdles to overcome. 

Post lots of pictures. 

• 3 months later...

I haven't come to my senses yet, so I'm still building this thing.

Last weekend was great for progress. We got everything on the engine done. It's been run, and is great. It fires right off and sounds wicked. We've only run it open headers, which annoyed all the other shops in the complex. Oh well, it's an auto repair complex, get used to itl. Very healthy sounding, great idle and runs up nice. The front oil seal leaked a bit so we replaced it. The custom made oil pan, with about 10 cuts and welds is oil tight. So we cleaned everything and painted it Chevy orange, except the aluminum heads and intake.

In the engine bay we cleaned everything. All the spot welds were backed up with 3" stitch welding for better strength. Everything was ground down and panted GM satin black.

We're waiting on some ARP bolts before we put the engine in.

I need to get the photos off my phone, but pretty excited with making progress. Still a long way to go.

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

All right, we got the heater core flipped around for engine clearance, and the motor and trans are in the car. I bought several GT dash clusters and sent them out for him to cherry pick the best gauges for rebuilding. They're back now too. The car goes back to the fab shop for us to fit the headers & exhaust, finish the steering shaft, and make a driveshaft. We'll probably give him a few more tasks while he has it.

The Edelbrock valve covers are just for during the build. Final covers will be PML covers.

A few pics:

IMG_20161216_134630_zpsti0xqwgn.jpg

IMG_20161216_134620_zpsyom2done.jpg

IMG_20161216_152408_zpsjn6brzwx.jpg

All right, we got the heater core flipped around for engine clearance, and the motor and trans are in the car. I bought several GT dash clusters and sent them out for him to cherry pick the best gauges for rebuilding. They're back now too. The car goes back to the fab shop for us to fit the headers & exhaust, finish the steering shaft, and make a driveshaft. We'll probably give him a few more tasks while he has it.

The Edelbrock valve covers are just for during the build. Final covers will be PML covers.

A few pics:

IMG_20161216_134630_zpsti0xqwgn.jpg

IMG_20161216_134620_zpsyom2done.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

No pics yet, but it went back to the fab shop. This thing is starting to earn frequent flyer miles with the tow company. Anyhow, he is fitting the headers, plus fabbing the entire exhaust system, also doing the steering column and driveshaft. He will probably pick up a few more things while it's there. Should have pics next Friday.

Okay, made some measurable progress, with pictures. To recap, it's a 1972 Vega wagon. the engine is a 350, bored and stroked to 383, backed by a 700R4. Out back is a narrowed 10 bolt, 3:73 LSD. It's the large ring gear version, from a S-10 ZR2, so it has bigger carrier bearings too. Custom axles are Dutchman Performance. 4 wheel disc brakes. Coilovers at every corner on tubular control arms. Engine mounts and headers are by Don Hardy Race Cars. It's about the only system that uses conventional mounts, as opposed to a front mount.The headers all fit inside the engine bay.

Nothing fits though...every header pipe had to "malletized" for spark plug clearance, the mounts had to massaged a bit. Then, since these headers are designed for side pipes we moved the collector forward a bit, and routed them back under the car.

The gas tank is a repop 1st gen Camaro unit, and looks factory back there.

There is a ton of little things too, like flipping the heater core around, adding power steering, updating the dash to full GT instrumentation. Should be a fun little car when it's done. I'm hoping we can keep the level of progress going at this rate.

And I'm so lucky, my wife is still be my side during all this.

Some pics:

20170113_123411_001_zps4nxtp8vy.jpg

20170113_123226_001_zpskghucsst.jpg

20170113_123441_001_zpsjdurzeap.jpg

Edited by b_pappy

Must admit I don't understand a lot about renovating cars, or really much about auto mechanics in general, but this topic has grabbed my attention. OK, I did take a class in college that I actually enjoyed and didn't sleep through, but I don't remember much ^_^. Still, I can tell it's been a lot of work (understatement, I'm sure) and you take pride in what you're doing.

Anyway, Bruce, I look forward to further progress and, eventually, the finished product!  :2thumbs:

• 3 months later...

Just an update, no pics. No, I haven't come to my senses, nor has my wife, so we're still building this. We have the engine and trans in, custom radiator made and installed. heater conversion complete. the headers and motor mounts are complete, and the complete exhaust is built, all mandrel bent tubing. The driveshaft is built. We picked a custom master cylinder for 4 wheel power disc brakes. Nothing "off the shelf" fits, but that's partly why I'm building a Vega, a little more of a challenge, and a little unique. We're getting closer, but it doesn't happen very fast. Next we're planning on running all new fuel and brake lines.

Maybe this year :-)

Bruce

• 2 months later...