Customer Service 866.965.0400

Aluminum Motorcycle Wheels - Polishing

sportruck00

Question

Hello - after a strip wash and APC to clean my tires I ended up with a few blemishes on my wheels. I believe I have cast/polished aluminum un-coated wheels. In searching the forum it seems the go-to product for this task is Adams Metal Polish. Also, in using the metal polish do I risk the polish taking the current shine further than the current polished look? Just wanting to make sure I get back to a clean, and natural polished sheen. Any suggestions on a sealant going forward?

Attached are a few pictures of the wheels, as well the last picture of a regular engine part to give an example of the polished finish components my bike has. Thanks

post-2062-0-69973500-1421711677_thumb.jpg

post-2062-0-09274600-1421711689_thumb.jpg

post-2062-0-46896100-1421711696_thumb.jpg

post-2062-0-57241100-1421711704_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

In addition to the spotting I see a fair level of oxidation on the aluminum there, so to answer your question - yes it will look much shinier than it does now.

I'd definitely hit them with Metal Polish #1 all over to give you a consistent finish. If you want more gloss follow with metal polish #2.

If the APC left the marks, I know from experience Adam's Metal Polish #1 will remove them.

Be careful not to get any polish on the cast, unpolished areas. You may want to tape those areas off, or at least where the polished section meets up to the cast finish.

Yes, taping will take time, but I'd be willing to bet, less time than trying to remove the polish residue from the cast finish! 

If the APC left the marks, I know from experience Adam's Metal Polish #1 will remove them.

Be careful not to get any polish on the cast, unpolished areas. You may want to tape those areas off, or at least where the polished section meets up to the cast finish.

Yes, taping will take time, but I'd be willing to bet, less time than trying to remove the polish residue from the cast finish! 

Thanks Dave, yes I was assuming some additional care around the cast would be best. What type of tape would you recommend? Like a house hold blue or green wall painting tape? Thanks again

Blue tape.

I think Green "Frog" Tape or any tape with that edge protection is bad for automotive use. Can't remember where I seen or heard that though.

Correct.  Its the chemicals on the edge, any tape like that for painting.

3M Automotive Tape (green) or Rustoleum Automotive tape (orange) are both found at your local Wally World and are paint safe, as is the standard Blue painters tape.  Although I prefer automotive tape over Blue.

Edited by Ricky Bobby