Customer Service 866.965.0400

Weekend project.

Trapp2012

Question

As super-bowl weekend approaches comes my annual winter detailing (reapplication of sealant, wax once a month in OH winters). This year is by far a colder forecast than years before. I have a pole building of great size and awesome wood heat to use for the event but have no water to wash the truck in (2010 3500 RAM DRW). Trying to plan this accordingly with weather predictions with temps. Saturday probably run to auto wash through 10 bucks in the machine to blow off all major debris; e.g. salt formations.  Saturday after returning hopefully bucket wash (Water is up at house 200 yards up drive) as fast as possible while truck is warm after sitting in the barn for a while, my guess for a time frame in sub freezing temps of a 68*F truck would be roughly 1/2 hr. My question is how do you guys/gals manage your time while working in a frigid temp outdoors? I've done it many times and like my process, but wondering how you guys do it without "possibly" hurting/damaging paint?

4 answers to this question

My friend, it sounds like you are describing the ideal situation for a 'Rinseless Wash'.....especially since you have a nice heated building to do so in but no linear water supply!  There are several videos to watch in the tutorial section here but to make a long story short, here are a few tips...

1)  Like you said, spending a pocket full of quarters at the local pay n spray is mandatory if the vehicle is very dirty.  I'd bring a bottle of All Purpose Cleaner and spray liberally in the wheel wells to let the cleaner loosen up all of the gunk and debris.  Spend as much time as necessary as this will make the next few steps much simpler.

2)  I'm sure other guys will chime in here later but my preferred method of Rinseless Washing is using as many plush MF towels as possible although the tutorial videos show how to do it using just a couple with 2 buckets....just a preference thing.

3)  Since you are going to be in the heated realm of a garage I'd advise to go as slow and methodically as possible.  A Rinseless Wash on a typical car will often times take me LONGER than a traditional 2 bucket wash with a hose.  It kills me to see some folks racing around the car like it's on fire.  Slow and steady is the key here.

4)  Since you planning on claying I presume you'll love The Rinseless Wash as it has water softeners built into it allowing you to leave the panels 'wet' after you clean them and just go straight into claying after you're done.

Nate as Ed mentioned above, a rinseless wash sounds like what you're after. My rinseless wash takes only 20-25 minutes whereas my traditional 2 bucket wash takes me an hour or so. Your first rinseless wash will take you longer than 20-25 minutes most likely but after doing it so many times your process will speed up.

Edited by SJC96GT

^^^Both Ed and Seth are spot on.  The first few times you do a rinseless wash you will be slow and probably take as long as a 2 bucket.

However, last night I did my X5 in my unheated garage (it was approx 38 in there), and start to finish including wiping down the wheels and door jambs took me approx 35 mins.  For what its worth I was testing how long I could go after doing a pre-rinse at the coin op, I blasted the salt off on Friday, and parked the car until today and didn't wash it until last night.  Came out great.

Once you do it a few times you'll learn the efficiency and limits of the product, and depending on soiling your MF towel (which has 8 clean sides) can be used for more than one panel, you'll see how quick it is.  On a lightly soiled or already pre-rinsed car (using my X5 as an example), I used 9 MF towels including 2 for wheels and 1 for door jamb wipedowns.

All you need is 2 gallons of hot water (loosens up the grime easier, in the warm months I just use distilled water), a 16-32 oz bottle of diluted Rinseless for pre-soak (hot water again), and about 12 MF towels for your truck.  The hot water is key especially since you say you'll be working outdoors, and rinseless washing is best because you're only cleaning/drying a couple panels at a time.

Also I recommend NOT to run through the auto wash to get the salt/debris off, use your local pay n spray, or a better choice than auto wash but not ideal, is a touchless (although it will strip your protection)