Customer Service 866.965.0400

Coatings vs. Wax and Sealant?

thatryan

Question

What are thoughts on coatings such as CQuartz or Modesta instead of standard wax and sealants? Wondering if it might be good for me seeing as how I can not wax or seal my car (no upper body strength)

Is that stuff bad? Only look good initially? Pros and cons? 

Thanks all.

13 answers to this question

I have Cquartz on my car and love it. It's extremely resistant and releases dirt easier make it easier to wash. So far it has held up for 7 months and should for another 17. However, keep in mind, if you're car needs to polished for any reason, the coating gets polished off defeating the purpose of applying something long lasting to begin with.

If you need a pro to apply it I would recommend paying the coin for Opti Coat pro.

I read you might be seeing a detailer for some minor paint correction, you can google for a certified OCP installer in your area. Will last a couple years with only maintenance washes

Adams has a coating that's being tested and you could also wait for its release and get a pro to apply for you when it comes out.

The key is you want your car fully corrected prior to applying the coating because any imperfections left will be locked in under the coating.

If you need a pro to apply it I would recommend paying the coin for Opti Coat pro.

I read you might be seeing a detailer for some minor paint correction, you can google for a certified OCP installer in your area. Will last a couple years with only maintenance washes

Adams has a coating that's being tested and you could also wait for its release and get a pro to apply for you when it comes out.

The key is you want your car fully corrected prior to applying the coating because any imperfections left will be locked in under the coating.

Indeed, I ask because I went out and met with Jeff at Immaculate Reflections. Super nice guy and took the time to talk about all kinds of options with me. Including fixing the door ding I have, grrr.

But yes, would be fully clayed and two-step paint correction I think. He is certified CQuartz and Modesta coatings so when I asked about waxing and sealing he mentioned those options as well. I am just trying to decide if it is overkill for me, especially since my car is not immaculate right now, couple little scuffs on two wheels ( Fail, I know ) and a scrap on the lower front lip from a low drive way...Hard to notice but still.

I am sure with just clay and 1 step paint correction + wax/sealant it would look good as well.. Really having trouble deciding, especially the $$$ ha.

Jeff does great work.  I have seen him post on other forums.  Coatings would make it so you do the least amount of maintenance in terms of just washing and drying.  This may be a good choice for you. 

Yeah that was one of the things that appealed to me, as much as I would love to clay and polish and seal my car, my body would just say "no" lol

Anyone have experience with the Modesta coating? He said it is more exclusive and twice as expensive, but makes paint look like 'candy'. mmmmm 

Coatings are definitely ideal if you want low maintenance, just don't get sucked into the over-sell. There are a lot of promises made by some that are simply not true.

In terms of looking for recommendations or feedback on Modesta or other coatings - I'd say this isn't the place to ask. Consult a Modesta dealer/installer and search for some independent reviews. Asking here is like walking into a sushi bar and asking for recommendations on where to get a good shredded beef taco.

We're working on our coating product, but even on release it will be a DIY product - you're looking at products that are sold and applied by certified representatives. Go to the source for accurate info.

Coatings are definitely ideal if you want low maintenance, just don't get sucked into the over-sell. There are a lot of promises made by some that are simply not true.

In terms of looking for recommendations or feedback on Modesta or other coatings - I'd say this isn't the place to ask. Consult a Modesta dealer/installer and search for some independent reviews. Asking here is like walking into a sushi bar and asking for recommendations on where to get a good shredded beef taco.

We're working on our coating product, but even on release it will be a DIY product - you're looking at products that are sold and applied by certified representatives. Go to the source for accurate info.

Great points man, thank you much. 

I am still new to all of this :)

I'm likely going to pull the trigger on Optimun Gloss-Coat to use on my wife's truck.  I have the energy to keep up the shine on car and Jeep throughout the week but her vehicle is too big!

Has anyone used this?

Will do Adam's steps up to that point.

Doesn't look like Adam's coating will be arriving soon since inquiries about it's release are vague ( I get it, some things are hard to predict). I'll DEFINITELY buy the Adam's coating when it comes out, but I'd like to do the wife's vehicle soon.