Customer Service 866.965.0400

Can't get all the sap off with clay bar

Z06Seal

Question

I got all my adams products and I got to work right away... I wanted to practice a full on 2 step on my DD (Chevy Volt) so when my Stingray arrives, I'll have a slight idea of what the hell I'm doing...

That being said I washed the car with dawn and started to clay it with a 64:1 ratio of rinseless wash solution. I should mention that clay bar is fricking huge and I should have broken it in half and save the other half lol

The car had a decent amount of tree sap on it (at least that's what I think it is) and the rear of the car is the worst. the clay bar wasn't really picking them up. Only way to pick some of them up was to put extreme pressure and keep rubbing the clay bar and that would take some of the sap off. that's an enormous amount of elbow grease... 

I also tried detail spray to see if it would make a difference.. Nothing.

I tried getting some pictures of the contamination after the clay baring to give you guys an idea...

Curious if someone has run into similar trouble.

I should mention my hood was bad too (nowhere near as bad) and I just couldn't get everything off. I did a 2 step on there and it looks like they are now gone lol

I'm afraid trying to polish the back (i'll use a 4 inch BP to concentrate) and scratching it up

2015_02_27_16_49_32.jpg

2015_02_27_16_49_42.jpg

2015_02_27_16_49_23.jpg

15 answers to this question

Emir, try some automotive Goo Gone or 3m Adhesive Remover.  Once sap dries it will be tough to remove with Adam's fine grade clay.  And you should be able to split the 200 gram bar into 3 or 4 pieces.

Looks like fallout--aka rail dust.

Spray some deep wheel cleaner (adams) or an equivalent from another company (if you have either on hand) and see what happens.

Beware: may turn purple and look like your car is bleeeeeeeeeding.

Edit: This also happens from brake pads.

Edited by BKazzle

Looks like fallout--aka rail dust.

Spray some deep wheel cleaner (adams) or an equivalent from another company (if you have either on hand) and see what happens.

Beware: may turn purple and look like your car is bleeeeeeeeeding.

Edit: This also happens from brake pads.

I agree.  Looks like rail dust.

More than likely rail dust. Before I break out my nano scrub I usually spray some Auto Finesse Iron out on the vehicle. Depending on the severity you may see it begin to turn purple. This should remove it.

More than likely rail dust. Before I break out my nano scrub I usually spray some Auto Finesse Iron out on the vehicle. Depending on the severity you may see it begin to turn purple. This should remove it.

Ugh Iron Out made me want to throw up the first time I opened the bottle. I'm not knocking other products just because this is an Adams board but DWC is cheaper (especially diluted 1:1 as DvK said, half the price!), smells somewhat pleasant considering the category, and works just as well as Iron Out/Iron X.

Once we got the product dialed in function wise we spent an inordinate amount of time reducing the odor. I'd be willing to bet we are the least offensively scented ferrous metal remover on the market. I tried one from another brand yesterday that was dedicated as a paint cleanser and after the first trigger pull I had to walk away and take a moment - I have a strong stomach for most smells, but this one had me almost choking the odor was so intense.