Jump to content
Customer Service 866.965.0400

Recommended Posts

Any tips on handwashing microfiber towels. I clean my car every few weeks and use maybe about 3 towels at a time. I was thinking of buying a plastic washboard and scrubbing the towels on it and then tumble dry. Can I properly clean towels this way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 5:24 PM, JEST79 said:

Any tips on handwashing microfiber towels. I clean my car every few weeks and use maybe about 3 towels at a time. I was thinking of buying a plastic washboard and scrubbing the towels on it and then tumble dry. Can I properly clean towels this way?

You could clean the towels that way if needed, not necessarily the preferred method but it would work. Just make sure you rinse them as clean as possible because anything left in the towel will degrade it's performance.  I'd suggest using the Adams Microfiber Revitalizer and rinsing a few times before drying on low/no heat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 3:24 PM, JEST79 said:

Any tips on handwashing microfiber towels. I clean my car every few weeks and use maybe about 3 towels at a time. I was thinking of buying a plastic washboard and scrubbing the towels on it and then tumble dry. Can I properly clean towels this way?

 

9 minutes ago, blcksilv08 said:

You could clean the towels that way if needed, not necessarily the preferred method but it would work. Just make sure you rinse them as clean as possible because anything left in the towel will degrade it's performance.  I'd suggest using the Adams Microfiber Revitalizer and rinsing a few times before drying on low/no heat.

 

Agreed with @blcksilv08. But must ask why you want to hand wash...no access to a washing machine? If so, all good. Just wondering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 10:14 PM, falcaineer said:

 

 

Agreed with @blcksilv08. But must ask why you want to hand wash...no access to a washing machine? If so, all good. Just wondering.

I feel it’s a waste of water to clean 3 towels in the washing machine. Thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JEST79 said:

I feel it’s a waste of water to clean 3 towels in the washing machine. Thanks for the help.

 

Gotcha. Happy to try and and help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JEST79 said:

I feel it’s a waste of water to clean 3 towels in the washing machine. Thanks for the help.

 

Most modern washing machines use a lot less water when washing a small load.  You probably will use just as much water (if not more) washing by hand.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JEST79 said:

I feel it’s a waste of water to clean 3 towels in the washing machine. Thanks for the help.

I actually have this same problem. Feels so wasteful to wash just 2-3 towels during simple wash. I just end up using towels like it’s paper so I wash all of them. I really wish we could just toss them in basket till it’s full then do a load. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, LuckyKorean said:

I actually have this same problem. Feels so wasteful to wash just 2-3 towels during simple wash. I just end up using towels like it’s paper so I wash all of them. I really wish we could just toss them in basket till it’s full then do a load. 

 

You can store the used towels until you have enough for a load, just as long as you hang them to dry first before storing them.  Use a tote with a lid, and not an open laundry basket, to keep them from getting contaminated if stored in the garage.

 

The only exception to this method is towels used for H2O Guard & Gloss.  Since this product is water-activated, it is importation to get the product cleaned out of the towels immediately after you are done.  Do not let the product sit in the towels and cure.

 

My process is to rinse them out in the sink really good with warm water, to get most of the HGG out, then spray all sides of the towel with full-strength MRB, and really work the towel in your hands to get the detergent into the fibers.  Then I rinse them out, and repeat with the MRB.  On the final rinse, I will just half rinse the towels, leaving some MRB in the towel, not a lot, just a little.  I then hang the towels to dry.  Once dry, I store them in a sealed tote until I get enough for a load in the washing machine.  I wash these towels separately, and use MRB in the washing machine on hot water, with an extra rinse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheWolf said:

 

You can store the used towels until you have enough for a load, just as long as you hang them to dry first before storing them.  Use a tote with a lid, and not an open laundry basket, to keep them from getting contaminated if stored in the garage.

 

The only exception to this method is towels used for H2O Guard & Gloss.  Since this product is water-activated, it is importation to get the product cleaned out of the towels immediately after you are done.  Do not let the product sit in the towels and cure.

 

My process is to rinse them out in the sink really good with warm water, to get most of the HGG out, then spray all sides of the towel with full-strength MRB, and really work the towel in your hands to get the detergent into the fibers.  Then I rinse them out, and repeat with the MRB.  On the final rinse, I will just half rinse the towels, leaving some MRB in the towel, not a lot, just a little.  I then hang the towels to dry.  Once dry, I store them in a sealed tote until I get enough for a load in the washing machine.  I wash these towels separately, and use MRB in the washing machine on hot water, with an extra rinse.

I guess an Adam’s bucket with lid would work as laundry basket if I dry the used towels before putting them in? So far my process has been something like:

1 Bucket RW with clean towels

1 Bucket of warm water with 5+ sprays of ECO APC, I toss used towels here to let it soak. 

After finishing I rub the towels and strain them then toss in the washer at Warm + Extra rinse. Tumble dry for a bit then hang it to air dry. 

HGG towels I spray plenty APC then rub it under hot water before tossing it in washer with the other towels. 

 

MRB will be part of my next order(with some V-day goodies 😁), although I feel APC has been performing well I worry it might shorten the life of the towels. 

 

On the other hand, how do you suggest I wash towels that I buffed the wax off with? My Double Soft was blue when I applied Americana at 30°F it took me a good while of scrubbing under hot water but I wonder if that was necessary? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I let mine dry and put them in a laundry bag until wash time. Then I soak them overnight in APC and into the wash the next day (gives me time to clean the washer before throwing the microfiber in as well). 

I use a microfiber applicator to apply G&G. Easier and quicker and easy to clean when done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LuckyKorean said:

On the other hand, how do you suggest I wash towels that I buffed the wax off with? My Double Soft was blue when I applied Americana at 30°F it took me a good while of scrubbing under hot water but I wonder if that was necessary? 

 

If you want to get the wax color out, treat the towel the same as the HGG method above, then machine wash.  I think that MRB works better with towels than APC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×