Customer Service 866.965.0400

Claybar.. scratches?

DJJimGreen

Question

Hey all!

So, I recently got a new motorcycle and the time had come to give it a good claybar and wax. Well, I messed something up. Right when I claybarred the windshield, something happened. It looks like I marred it, but when I rub my hand over it it doesn't feel scratched, as much as it does that the clay residue somehow has gotten stuck to it. However, when I scratch at the marring, it doesn't budge and/or feel like a scratch or anything.

I've taken a bunch of different products to it and it looks like it's not coming off. Here' a pic, but even this just looks like a scuff and not what it actually is. How could a claybar do this? So weird.

11121778_10100667589716888_5219763760759

-Jim

Edited by DJJimGreen

Jim, it's kinda hard to tell from your pic, but it does look like it marred or scratched it somehow.  Perhaps some dirt or contaminate got embedded into your bar. 

Did you clay the entire windscreen? Or just that one spot?

It also could be some residue, but I've never seen it build up like that.  Were you using plenty of clay lube?  What did you use for lube?

I would maybe try to hit it heavy with some clay lube and re-clay that area to see what happens.  If not, try some light polish and see if that will take it off/reduce what you are seeing.

Please let us know!

Jim, it's kinda hard to tell from your pic, but it does look like it marred or scratched it somehow.  Perhaps some dirt or contaminate got embedded into your bar. 

Did you clay the entire windscreen? Or just that one spot?

It also could be some residue, but I've never seen it build up like that.  Were you using plenty of clay lube?  What did you use for lube?

I would maybe try to hit it heavy with some clay lube and re-clay that area to see what happens.  If not, try some light polish and see if that will take it off/reduce what you are seeing.

Please let us know!

So, it's weird. I used detail spray as a lube and the rest of the bike looks great. No marring or scratching. So, I don't think it was the bar. I was trying to google and figured out sometimes claying plexiglass can be weird? It's the craziest.

Oh and yea. Just that general area, as when I looked at it as I was going I was like "wait wtf?"

Edited by DJJimGreen

If its scratched and its plastic you could polish it. Clay will mar up some surfaces sometimes but nothing that a polisher can't remove usually. 

I'm going to say it looks like its possibly stained too. It looks more of a haze than a scratch but maybe it looks different in person.

Have experienced this before on really soft resprays even with fine grade clay. When I'm claying soft surfaces I usually use alot of lube and pull right back on the pressure. I wouldn't stress too much about it, Paint Finishing Polish will definately remove it but I would try your luck with Revive first. Let us know how you go

Also, just a thought. Could the screen have a coating that the clay bar possibly took off or mixed with?? It has been awhile but if I remember correctly my screen looked similar just from wear and tear (as if a coating was coming off).

Just a theory that is in no way valid . . . just a thought.

Also, just a thought. Could the screen have a coating that the clay bar possibly took off or mixed with?? It has been awhile but if I remember correctly my screen looked similar just from wear and tear (as if a coating was coming off).

Just a theory that is in no way valid . . . just a thought.

That's what I've been thinking, that maybe there's some sort of solvent.. But now it's not wiping or anything. I'm going to polish tonight!

As for the double bubble screen, BMWs screen goes for over 250 bucks. Haha

^^That's an S1000RR?

You are one hell of a man Jim.

And about the price of the screen, don't you already know you gotta pay to play?[/quote

It's a monster man. A freaking monster.

I'm too tall to really use the screen functionally. Haha. It'd mostly be for looks!

Keep the plastics side up my friend, AGATT

S1000RR makes my old SV1000S with 135hp look like a Ninja 250.

Thanks dude! To be honest, the BMW has so many gadgets and safety features, it's probably the most user friendly bike I've ever rode on, especially for it's size. I'd think a GSXR 1000 would be way scarier, considering it's lack of ABS, traction control, etc etc.

You think it's scratches or clay residue?

I want to say residue.. but could be a combo of both. I'm honestly just confused on wtf happened. The feel of it says residue as it doesn't feel scratched, but the fact it isn't budging with any sort of cleaners/products makes me think its scratches. It just also shows like.. droplets that won't come off.. so it doesn't make sense to just be scratches. You can see that in the pic very fairly in the top right of the windscreen.