Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning chrome wheel gunk

Nudge

Question

My son came over to see if I could help him clean the chrome wheels on his 2014 Ford F150.  They have something on them that wouldn't come off with stuff he had.  I'm not sure what's on these wheels.  We live in Idaho and they use ice melt on the roads. So, I'm wondering if this created a chemical reaction with his wheels.  I've included 2 pictures.  One is a closeup that kind of looks like there are chips in the chrome that have rusted. The other picture shows some kind of residue.  Here's what I've tried, to no avail.

1. All purpose cleaner

2. Deep wheel cleaner - the cleaner did not even begin to turn deep purple.  It just looked inert. APC must have done it's job well.

3. Clay

4. Wax - this did clean up some of the residue, but very little.  Further rubbing didn't produce better results.

5. Paint correcting and paint finishing polish - again, like the wax, they did a little but as you can see from the picture, there's still plenty to clean off

6. White vinegar

I've read some forum posts that mentioned using WD-40, but, I don't know if this residue is petroleum based or not (if it's ice melt). Someone mentioned Stoner's Tarminator - but, it's not tar. And, I don't know if these are chrome, chrome with clear coat, or chrome clad.

As I said, one picture looks like chips that have rusted, but, the wheel feels like it's been freshly clayed (which it was). I can't scrape anything with a fingernail. So, I don't think it's rust.

So, looking for recommendations. Maybe something like paint thinner?

Thanks in advance.

post-12427-0-24395600-1429407119_thumb.jpg

post-12427-0-12517700-1429407131_thumb.jpg

19 answers to this question

Can you feel the spots? I know that these are cleared but I have had good luck using MP1 & MP2 on cleared chrome. If and when you do get them cleaned up make sure you seal them with QS. More than likely if they were sealed that wouldn't have happened.

They feel smooth and I can't feel/scrape anything with my fingernail.  

As I mentioned, I don't know if this is chrome, chrome with clear coat, or chrome clad. Is metal polish ok on all of these?  

I hate to recommend another brand but Mothers chrome polish did the trick for me on some factory chrome wheels on a friend's Ram a few months back.  It was the only thing that would touch it.  I believe its a fairly aggressive cleaner so I rarely use it but those wheels looked similar to yours.

I hate to recommend another brand but Mothers chrome polish did the trick for me on some factory chrome wheels on a friend's Ram a few months back.  It was the only thing that would touch it.  I believe its a fairly aggressive cleaner so I rarely use it but those wheels looked similar to yours.

Were there any scratches left by the product?  If there were, did you use something else to correct them?

If they are cleared try some Revive polish first......

Is Revive more or less abrasive than Correcting or Finishing Polish? I've tried both of those with little result.

In my search for answers on the forum, I read that they don't clear coat chrome because it won't stick.  So, I don't know what I have on these wheels, just chrome or chrome with clear coat.  I'm going to see if I can find more info on the wheels so that I know what I'm dealing with.  Maybe the answer is Plastidip or Duplicolor. :(

i'd take it to the dealer and try to make a warranty claim.  A truck wheel SHOULD be able to resist most anything...within reason.  Seems to me, whatever 'protective' coating was on the wheel, has failed.  

good luck.

I have done it many times......does a great job!

How much clear is left? :-)

In the Adams videos, I believe he shows how to test to see if metal polish is ok to use on a wheel. Clear coat is paint and should be treated as such. Would you use metal polish on the hood of your car?

Are you sure they aren't chrome clad

Which is basically and plastic chrome cover over a reg steal wheel

It's my son's truck, so I'm not sure.  But, I've done some reading on the Ford F150 Forum and I think they are clad.

How much clear is left? :-)

In the Adams videos, I believe he shows how to test to see if metal polish is ok to use on a wheel. Clear coat is paint and should be treated as such. Would you use metal polish on the hood of your car?

The truck is only about 10 months old, so it has all of the factory clear.  But, is that what chrome clad is - plastic covered by chrome covered by clear?  Still trying to figure it out.  This is getting complicated. I may just take it to a professional.

Tap the wheel.  should sound like plastic.  I have them on the wife's 2009 g6 gxp.  They are starting to flake now. so don't feel bad its not just ford that is doing it

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f47/what-s-chrome-clad-wheels-48441/

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1124464-chrome-clad-wheels-worst-idea-ever-for-a-truck.html