Customer Service 866.965.0400

How Much Would You Charge?

Threehunnastunna

Question

Hey whats up all! first let me say sorry for the million dollar question that everyone asks. but i really have no clue on how much to charge on these 2 details!

First a buddy of mine seen how i detailed my 2014 Evo X and he would like me to do a paint correction on his 2013 World Rally Blue Subaru WRX STI. My evo took me about 2 hours to do a 2 bucket wash/clay/wax Full interior detail..

He just wants his swirls and water marks removed. (says he doesn't want it flawless)

Second my Sister just purchased a 2015 Ford Explorer and wants me to wash/clay/wax and seal it! I was thinking of just charging her for the product since she is my sister.

Any input would help! thank you all for the responses and time to read my post!

Sincerely Angel

11 answers to this question

Personally I dont charge friends or family but thats just me. Uktimately you have to decide the cost of the products you'll be using and what the hours you'll be working are worth to you. If making $50 for 5 hours sounds good for you then do it. If $300 sounds more like what you're looking for then go for that.

There is no one size fits all answer other then you have to decide what makes doing the work worth it for you.

I never charge my bro when I polish his ride.  Although he does help once in awhile.  But I get it in other ways like when I have him cover the tab for certain expenses. 

As someone once said, you will never make money off family. 

Angel,

I can't really help you with what to charge your friend, you need to charge enough to be happy, but no so much they feel cheated. I will say it you're banging a detail out in 2 hours you are moving!

Yeah, I never charge my sister either. I don't which is worse, working for free, or seeing her RAV4 covered in yuck.

I'm up in Northridge if I can ever be of help.

Bruce

ask your friend what he thinks the job is worth and half it.  this way you get some money for your product/time and he gets a good deal...and no friendship is ruined.  If he says the job is worth $100, he needs to go get some quotes b/c at this point he is taking advantage of you!

your sister...beer or food is a nice payment!

I'd say $100 if he is a good friend but that's just me. It takes me about 12 hours to do the whole thing so I'm not doing this for free. For most of us doing this very occasionally for money, the money is most often used to buy more products.

The only person I charge from my family is my Mom. She told me Santa wasn't real, so she has to pay full price.

I'm kidding of course. She actually just leaves one of her cars with me for a week or so and it comes back clean for free.

Depending on how good of a friend it is I will make them run one of the buffers and pay for product, food for the day, and beer that night/during the detail.

Otherwise they get my normal rate and a bit of a discount off of it. Sometimes it isn't worth discounting your work if they wouldn't have appreciation for it.

a detail and paint correction in 2 hours? that is blazing fast! I don't think I've ever done a stage 1 paint correction for less that $300 which is about 5-6 hours of work.

Oh no i was talking about a wash/clay/wax not a paint correction! thats madness! if anyone has tips on how to do a paint correction in 2 hours feel free to chime in tho! haha

I'd say $100 if he is a good friend but that's just me. It takes me about 12 hours to do the whole thing so I'm not doing this for free. For most of us doing this very occasionally for money, the money is most often used to buy more products.

yeah i'm not looking to go all out! hes just a buddy and it isn't an actual "job", but ill make sure he helps out!

The only person I charge from my family is my Mom. She told me Santa wasn't real, so she has to pay full price.

I'm kidding of course. She actually just leaves one of her cars with me for a week or so and it comes back clean for free.

Depending on how good of a friend it is I will make them run one of the buffers and pay for product, food for the day, and beer that night/during the detail.

Otherwise they get my normal rate and a bit of a discount off of it. Sometimes it isn't worth discounting your work if they wouldn't have appreciation for it.

lmao same with my mom! only time she lets me borrow her SUV to do jobs is when she needs it washed as well.. can't show up and detail a car in a dirty car lol.