Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing fine scratches by hand?

Rockford622

Question

I have a 2014 Dodge Durango that's black, but does not have much in the way of swirls that I have seen.  I have noticed a few light linear scratches (will not catch your fingernail) that I would like to remove, but I don't have a power polisher yet.  Would something like Revive with a blue pad do the trick by hand, or would it just take way too long?  There are just a few that I would like to spot correct.

Using Adam's 2 bucket wash method with foam gun and Adam's soap, BTW.

The answer is almost definitely no.

A swirl mark is actually a scratch, a very very very light scratch and you don't correct swirls by hand, so the chances of you removing a random scratch, even a light one are about the same or worse than a swirl mark. Hand polishing can give you improved gloss and help reduce the appearance of fine scratches a little, but in order to remove swirls you need a machine.

I have a 2014 Dodge Durango that's black, but does not have much in the way of swirls that I have seen.  Very doubtful, clean that truck up, wipe it down with some IPA and I guarantee you that there is a decent amount of defects in the black paint. I have noticed a few light linear scratches (will not catch your fingernail) that I would like to remove, but I don't have a power polisher yet.  Would something like Revive with a blue pad do the trick by hand, or would it just take way too long?  There are just a few that I would like to spot correct.

Using Adam's 2 bucket wash method with foam gun and Adam's soap, BTW.

I'd recommend grabbing the Porter Cable since Adam's brought it back.  Its a phenomenal machine.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Thanks guys for the feedback.  These are the types of scratches I am talking about:

On the door:

post-2578-0-35315000-1430930988_thumb.jpg

Inside of rocker panel, rear door, from kids getting in and out:

post-2578-0-55204100-1430931077_thumb.jpg

Are these the types of scratches I could remove with the Porter Cable and Paint Correcting Polish and Finishing Polish?  None of them can be felt with a fingernail, all really fine.

Thanks!

Those scratches would deeper than a swirl mark so its definitely going to be a machine process. Its hard to say what machine would correct something like that, but the PC would at the very least take out the majority of those if not completely correct them.

Those scratches would deeper than a swirl mark so its definitely going to be a machine process. Its hard to say what machine would correct something like that, but the PC would at the very least take out the majority of those if not completely correct them.

Ok.  I have never used a machine polisher before so I wanted something that is fool proof, yet as versatile as possible.  I understand it probably won't do heavy correction, but light to moderate is better than nothing.

Have you considered the Focus pads with a cordless drill? You have to be careful but that will get those isolated scratches out.

That's not a bad idea, but I was looking down the road when I might want to polish the whole vehicle.  So, I was thinking now would be a good time to make the investment in the PC.

A PC has a ton of correcting power when equipped with 4" pads and backing plate for smaller areas or where you want to concentrate more correction

I wouldn't say PC vs Cyclo is a one tool has more power than the other debate, its just a way to use the power differently and more smoothly in terms of Cyclo (vibrations)

Pad/polish combo is also a factor, both machines are great, it comes down to what's in your budget.  I still have my original PC 7424 (non XP) from 2005 that I use dedicated 4" pads with, and have no problems with correcting and polishing what I need with it.

If you can afford the Cyclo go that route.  If not get the PC.  Both are good machines.  The Cyclo is a little easier on the detailer, but both correct paint really well.  The Cyclo, having a wider throw will take a little less time than a PC would to do an entore car.  I have both. 

post-12347-0-11084200-1430963029_thumb.jpg

post-12347-0-71350100-1430963049_thumb.jpg

Just to give you an idea of the capability of a Cyclo, the top photo is the "as received" condition of a black C6, and the lower photo is after making (2) passes with orange microfiber pads and Adam's Paint Correcting Polish.

The lower photo shows how it looks BEFORE using Adam's Finishing Polish with white foam pads, and then the application of Adam's Liquid Paint Sealant.

Once you get a machine, you will be able to correct almost any vehicle to the owner's satisfaction.

Hope this helps you in making a determination...................................................................................

If you can swing it, definitely go with the Cyclo over the PC. I started out with the PC, upgraded to a Rupes 21, then added a Cyclo. I grab the Rupes for large panels that need heavy correction, the Cyclo for smaller areas and not as heavy correction, and the PC for glaze/sealant. I NEVER touch the PC for correction anymore. The toll it takes on your hands and arms from vibration is terrible, plus it takes longer to correct than the Cyclo. However, I have not tried the PC with the MF pads and new polishes, but I have no need or desire to with the other machines. The Cyclo is amazingly balanced. I was able to polish the underside of my spoiler when I had it removed guiding the machine with one hand on speed 6 while holding the spoiler from moving with the other. There would have been no way I could've done that with the vibration of the PC.

attachicon.gifFender Start 1.jpg

attachicon.gifFender 2 Passes.jpg

Just to give you an idea of the capability of a Cyclo, the top photo is the "as received" condition of a black C6, and the lower photo is after making (2) passes with orange microfiber pads and Adam's Paint Correcting Polish.

The lower photo shows how it looks BEFORE using Adam's Finishing Polish with white foam pads, and then the application of Adam's Liquid Paint Sealant.

Once you get a machine, you will be able to correct almost any vehicle to the owner's satisfaction.

Hope this helps you in making a determination...................................................................................

Wow, those pictures are amazing!  Sounds like not much effort to make a huge difference.

Sounds like I have to give serious consideration to the Cyclo.

Thanks for all of the other responses everyone.  It's really going to help me make a decision that will be sure to give me the results I want.

The PC is capable of achieving the same results, it just takes much longer and puts more stress on your hands and arms.  Here are a couple before and afters of a CTS-V I polished using the PC with an orange foam pad and Meg's M105.  This was after 4 passes with that combo:

773DCD19-37EB-4329-BD67-EF6D961B8179-943

29C1542F-33A3-40D7-AAF8-2E01463BAD08-943

B3E3E940-4981-4405-8A46-3A9618BBE4F0-943

20411F75-7E1A-4CBA-A29C-9CF5475584C0-943

If your going to throw down that much cash on a polisher as the cyclo why not get a flex. It has great capabilities and quick results. I have a pc as well setup now for small areas with the four inch pads. Inmo you can't go wrong with the pc for a learner tool and then when your ready to step up to a flex or rupes the pc still has value with the four inch pads for tight area and for glazing and sealing. You can't go wrong with the pc for the deal Adams has for it

Those pictures look great! I know for dark cars (because I have 2) I use black box to hide the imperfections. But its just covering it up. I was never going to use a machine myself, but from what I understand and have seen, if you want to truly correct or repair you need a machine. That's what I will be doing next.

i'm wondering if anything in the Adams lineup can compare to Meguiars Ultimate Compound when used by hand?  I always keep some off that stuff with me. Its works very well when used on a microfiber towel to remove small stuff like paint etching or very light superficial scratches or scuffs like under door handles for example.

Have you tried the PC polish by hand?  I'd assume it compares fairly well.  Use it with a stiffer foam applicator by hand or an MF applicator for more bite.

I've never tried Megs UC but its a box store variety compound isnt it?

I apologize in advance for the snarky comment. The point is: both apples and oranges are good. Just depends on what you want/need.

No need to apologize..whatever would be easier starting out I guess