Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing fine scratches by hand?

Rockford622

Question

I have a 2014 Dodge Durango that's black, but does not have much in the way of swirls that I have seen.  I have noticed a few light linear scratches (will not catch your fingernail) that I would like to remove, but I don't have a power polisher yet.  Would something like Revive with a blue pad do the trick by hand, or would it just take way too long?  There are just a few that I would like to spot correct.

Using Adam's 2 bucket wash method with foam gun and Adam's soap, BTW.

Either polisher would be fine. I haven't used a SK, but would not be surprised if it corrected a bit better than the Cyclo.  The dual 4" pads on the Cyclo make it easier to get to some areas, and harder for others. (For me, it seems the occurrence of easier out numbers the harder.) The Cyclo has very little vibration and is very well made. 

I have a Cyclo and am very happy with it. If money was no object, I'd also have a mini.

No need to apologize..whatever would be easier starting out I guess

OK, based on your comment of "starting out" the Swirl Killer will do all the paint correction you need to complete, with a very reasonable price point, and some additional features not found on the "high-end" professional machines.

I have them all, as I detail a lot of vehicles for a lot of different people who may or may not properly take care of their vehicles.

I do not own the Swirl Killer, but did use it for a full day recently, detailing a pretty swirled and scratched black vehicle.

Had to make it perfect, as it was coated afterwards.

Still needed multiple passes on very bad areas, but not fatigued after using it all day, similar to the Cyclo, and the long cord makes it so nice to use, as there is no need for extension cords, etc.

Hard to beat the Swirl Killer at the price point, and if you are not going to detail cars for a living, it will do anything and everything you could need it to do!  :2thumbs:

Edited by rkj4243

I have a cyclo also and love it . I'm sure the swirl killer is a fine machine also and it has a good price point. Since the launch of the swirl killer a good used cyclo can be had at a great price. The advantage to the cyclo is that it's the smoothest polisher out there and if u add a mini later it uses the same 4" pads so you only need one size stocked . Either way you will be happy I'm sure

Have you considered the Focus pads with a cordless drill? You have to be careful but that will get those isolated scratches out.

The OP said that he never used a machine polisher before. You are going to recommend using a cordless drill (forced rotation, incredibly aggressive) in the hands of a novice? Respectfully, I think this is poor advice.

There are great "starter" machines out there, mentioned on this thread, that give stellar results and are much safer. Just my 2 cents :)

Edited by goheels

The OP said that he never used a machine polisher before. You are going to recommend using a cordless drill (forced rotation, incredibly aggressive) in the hands of a novice? Respectfully, I think this is poor advice.

There are great "starter" machines out there, mentioned on this thread, that give stellar results and are much safer. Just my 2 cents :)

I think I was talking about removing "isolated scratches" - not polishing an entire vehicle. I can't be sure because it was a while ago and this thread has taken some turns since then.

You are right to point out the possible danger of using a drill. But it's not something a non-pro can't do.

Wow, you guys, I Think the best machine for scratches and swirls is right here, it the Adams Swirl Killer. Cost effective too!

best is a subjective thing . Imo the swirl killer is not the best . Good yes, especially for the money . There are a lot of good machines out there tho. The swirl killer is a Chinese copy of an original machine that has added nothing new other than reduced specs along with a cheep price point . Not saying it's not a good machine just "best" is a stretch.

Wow, you guys, I Think the best machine for scratches and swirls is right here, it the Adams Swirl Killer. Cost effective too!

It's a great machine, obviously like said above the Rupes would be a much better machine. But for the money, the Swirl Killer is a great machine! Especially if it is your first.