Customer Service 866.965.0400

ASK THE SHINE DOC - Ep. 4: Treating Perforated Leather Seats

Week 4 of Ask The Shine Doc answers one of the questions that has been submitted most since we started this series - "How do I apply conditioner to leather seats without clogging up the perforations?" The process is actually quite simple and only requires a small adjustment to your technique... to learn more watch the full episode:

IN THIS VIDEO: Adam's Leather Conditioner | Interior Dressing Applicators

Nice video and posted a day early.  I really enjoy watching these.  Your email was not posted at the end of the video however.

Good eye... the video will be annotated to include the email. Figured we'd get it up here for everyone since its done early. Glad you're enjoying them.

^Alan you can still use Leather Conditioner since even on the leatherette (synthetic leather/vinyl) seats you are still treating a plastic/urethane topcoat material, as is the case with 99% of the real leather seats

I don't have an exact time frame on how long an application of leather conditioner will last for me, because it all depends on how often I use the vehicle, sit in it, and get in and out of it. On my daily driver Regal, I try to condition the front seats every other month, and the back seats maybe once per season of the year since less people sit back there. On my GTO, I find myself conditioning those seats quite often, because they like to soak up the conditioner and I like to try to keep them on the softer side. I will naturally use Leather and Interior Cleaner on them prior to an application of conditioner when they need it.

Edited by Dan@Adams

Does anyone know how long it takes for the coating to wear off?

Depends on how much you drive your car. The entry and exit of the vehicle by the driver and passengers is going to wear it away faster in a daily driver than it would in a weekend toy.

Dylan here's a question for you that got me curious.  On another forum someone with a 2015 Toyota Corolla is looking for a way to clean the seats.  The material of the seats is referred to as Softex.  On the other forum, the manufacturer chimed in saying they do not recommend any of their products for use on this material and that Toyota claims that a damp towel is all that is needed. 

Would Adams interior products be recommended on this Softex material?

Depends on how much you drive your car. The entry and exit of the vehicle by the driver and passengers is going to wear it away faster in a daily driver than it would in a weekend toy.

Is there a way to tell if it is still there?

Dylan here's a question for you that got me curious.  On another forum someone with a 2015 Toyota Corolla is looking for a way to clean the seats.  The material of the seats is referred to as Softex.  On the other forum, the manufacturer chimed in saying they do not recommend any of their products for use on this material and that Toyota claims that a damp towel is all that is needed. 

Would Adams interior products be recommended on this Softex material?

My guess is it is just vinyl like you see in VWs.  You could probably use APC on LIC 1:1 if you want, but go with a damp towel first if that's all you need.

• 1 month later...

^Agreed with Matt on Softex/Vtex/Leatherette vinyl, many OEM's are switching to it over traditional real leather because honestly, it is a less maintenance product and far more durable.  My buddy at Lexus said most of their cars either are coming with it now or switching to it soon, because it just holds up better, and after the first or second owner and 30k-40k miles you don't get the "butt crushing" wrinkles on the bolsters and seatbacks, etc.  Very easy on maintenance, if you need to clean it, a damp MF with some diluted cleaner is all you really need, if at all.

As far as perforated leather, I would use a soft brush (think boars hair lug nut brush) and some diluted LIC to "unclog" the holes.