Customer Service 866.965.0400

Sticky Clay Bar

Mooser

Question

Arrrrgggg

Went to start to clay the wifes DD (for the first time) as I start to get it ready for a mild correction. I've got two of the "old" Adams clay bars (the grey ones) that have never been used (was using up my other brands) and went to use these ones stored in the cool basement for the last year

Opened a new jar and cut open the bag and...

Sticks to my fingers, then sticking to the trigger on the detail spray bottle, now the handle on the bucket. Probably some in my pocket likely in my hair (what's left of it anyway), I'm afraid to go have a wiz

Not sticking to the car (lots of detail spray needed though)

Sprayed my fingers with detail spray, still sticking

Folded it over a bunch of times, still incredibly sticky.

Stuffed it into a ziploc bag and got cleaned up for supper

Came out after supper, stuck in the bag like it's bonded on the molecular level!!!! had to tear it apart and leave a skin on the inside of the bag!

It's working fine at removing containation from the paint but I can't believe how it's sticking to me. I know one of the sales pitches for the new stuff is it's less sticky but man I didn't realize it's this bad.

Anyone have any suggestions before I check the second one tomorrow and just toss both of them and look at the new blue ones next order (back to the big "M" bar until then I guess)

M

The older clay was very much stickier in my opinion. I would end up with bits of it stuck in the clay bar container, on my fingers, detail apart bottle...EVERYWHERE! This is the reason I was so excited about the arrival of the new blue clay bar! It is perfect! Pulls off contaminants with utmost ease but doesn't stick to your fingers or detailing tools! Way to go Adams on the new clay!

Rained pretty much every day since so I haven't been able to try the second bar and/or the rinseless. Still looks like I'll grab a new blue bar next order one way or the other

Thx

M

Spray your hands with detail spray and work the clay.

Tried that first, works until you start to work the clay around, as soon as my fingers are in one place for any real length of time it seems the detail spray wears off / squeezes out and back to sticky again

We have received a lot of complaints about the blue not being effective for people. I have a batch of the sticky gray coming back in... And in the meantime I'm feverishly working on a new clay compound to replace them both.

That's not the answer I wanted to hear... The gray stuff works great (decon) just a pain cause it's sticking so badly.

Looks like I'll have to go back to the big M bar until you fine a happy medium between function and sticky. Thanks for letting me know before I purchased one though. 

Too bad, I was only 3 containers away from being 100% Adams product. (If I put it in the Adams container it can still live on the same detailing shelf though...)

M

I bought some of the grey stuff the other day. It seems way stickier than I remember it being before. The consistency was almost runny in a way. I did find it stuck to gloves worse than my bare hands and if it sticks to your hands just rubbing the clay against my hands took it back off.

With that said it at least pull contaminants off of my paint unlike the blue clay. And didn't mar like the blue clay.

Using rinseless as lube it seemed to stick worse than detail spray. Eventually I tried my other choice in clay lube (Megs D155 @ 1:1) which seemed to help with it sticking to my hands.

At least if it sticks to your hands you can't drop it :P

We have received a lot of complaints about the blue not being effective for people. I have a batch of the sticky gray coming back in... And in the meantime I'm feverishly working on a new clay compound to replace them both.

Not a complaint, but an observation.....  

I used the blue clay recently for the first time (had plenty of gray left) and wasn't thoroughly satisfied.  It was much firmer than the old gray.....so much so I ended up dropping the first piece and due to the firmness, it didn't appear to be as effective so I can see where the complaints would be coming from.  

My vote is to bring the gray back, but if you can find a happy medium between the two, that would probably be best for the long term.

Heat makes it soft. Place it in the fridge for a few minutes before use.

Absolutely. I was just trying to keep it cooler with extra lube on the panels, but I will keep the fridge trick in mind for this weekend on the R32 I'm doing.

I'm glad you said this. I got the new blue, and it wasn't removing much at all. Had half a bar of the old left, night and day. The old worked much easier and removed everything with half the effort.

Heat makes it soft. Place it in the fridge for a few minutes before use.

So yesterday I decided to try some of the suggestions, Overcast and windy but at least not raining for a change

I put the other (last) new (old grey) bar in the fridge the night before, realistically it made it hard but within a very short time it was up to temp and being sticky again. 

Now in a way it was good since I pretty much soaked my hand in detail spray to keep it from sticking, when I was doing the side of the fender the bar suddenly stopped moving and my hand didn't, normally this would have ended with the clay on the ground but this time..... there it was suspended in mid fender.

I'm not totally convinced that's a promotional feature but at least for once it worked in my favor. Enough for the day.

Last night I thought the other way and decided to put the bottle of rinseless mix (16:1) in the fridge figuring it would at stay cold.

Tried again tonight after supper, worked pretty good, bar was way less sticky and I'd say worked just the way I'm used to the big "M" bars. Gliding around really nice and slick and picking up contaminant like crazy (can't tell you how many times that bar go folded but the car was a real mess, now it's finally ready for some correction.

Anyway, if your bar is sticking, try cooling the juice, not sure why but it seems to help

M

Any update to this?

Any update to this?

I would like to know also. I just ordered a new Blue Clay bar. I have an old grey one and used the other half just last week and I have had it for over a year and it worked great. I hope the new blue one works the same.

Thanks for the Update Dan, I am going to be in need of a new one for spring so if there is a new one coming out I would love to try it. Not that I didnt like the blue but it doesnt seem to pull stuff as easily as I have seen other clay work. 

I just got a clay bar with a polisher kit the end of October and it was a gray one. Maybe they have gone back to the gray? I guess Dan will let us know when he knows, just an FYI.

I just got an order last week and it was a blue one. I still have a little bit of my grey one left and I am not even going to need the blue one for a while so I hope it is OK when I finally go to use it. Most likely won't be until at least spring.

We ran out of stock on the Blue Clay a few weeks back, so the remaining gray bars that we had were sent out in a few orders until we got more of the blue clay back in stock, so that there weren't any delays on people's orders. If anyone on here received a gray clay bar in a recent order that would like a replacement blue one sent out, please let me know.