Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing Products and Tire Cracking

LFairbanks

Question

6 answers to this question

I have used nothing but Adam's APC for cleaning my tires and nothing but Adam's sVRT and Adam's Tire Shine for dressing them for 5.5 years and 54,000 miles.

My tire sidewalls look as good as the day the car was delivered in 2009.

The tread, though, that's a different story.

I have used nothing but Adam's APC for cleaning my tires and nothing but Adam's sVRT and Adam's Tire Shine for dressing them for 5.5 years and 54,000 miles.

My tire sidewalls look as good as the day the car was delivered in 2009.

The tread, though, that's a different story.

Tire shine has been out 5.5 years? 

Anybody ever notice a correlation between cleaning and dressing your tires, and cracking?  Just curious as I was reading this article and it mentioned cleaning your tires excessively can remove anti oxidants and anti ozone protection and cause cracking.

Anti-ozonants will leach to the surface of the tire regardless of how they are cleaned in a process known as blooming.

When you're cleaning your tires, especially when you're doing so to remove brown residues you're only removing the spent anti-ozonants and a very very very minor amount of the rubber which as generally oxidized.

Dry rot and sidewall cracking as a result of CLEANING would be highly unlikely. Now - if you were to use something to dress them that penetrated the surface and prevented the anti-ozonant from getting to the outer wall of the tire you could potentially see an issue as the AO's are what keeps sidewalls pliable.

So I took my car in and had the tire shop look at my tires.  The first guy seemed concerned when he looked at them and went and found another employee with a little more knowledge of the situation.  My tires where only cracking around the wheel itself.  All 4.  Never had seen that happen before.  They weren't bad, but I'am not one to risk a blowout without knowing.  They were the original tires that came with the vehicle when I bought it brand new.  I had planned on replacing them late in the fall anyhow, but didn't want to do it right now if it wasn't necessary.  

Second guy looked at them and said that issue was all superficial and not to worry about it.  He did however ask me about tire dressing and cleaning.  I know the Super VRT is water based and I assume that the Tire Shine is as well.  And not petroleum based.  He said if products used were water based they were fine to use on the tires.  

Found this website where you can plug in your tire information and see if there is a recall on your tires and how old they are.