Customer Service 866.965.0400

Mk4 R32 in BMP Paint Correction

My dealership parts hookup decided it was time to call in a big favor I owe him for all the times of random texts with part numbers to lookup and allowing me to use his employee discount on everything I need.

He keeps his R32 in pretty good shape, but it has never had a full paint correction. It is a garage queen that doesn't come out often.

Unfortunately I was strapped for time and didn't take too many pictures before or during. But the after shots speak for themselves.

Products Used:

Adam's Car Shampoo

Adam's DWC

Meg's D101 APC

Adam's Fender Brush

Adam's Wheel Woolies (All 4 of them)

Adam's Trim and Lug nut brush (Two of them, one cut down to about 1/3 length for certain areas)

Adam's Red Wheel Brush

Adam's Tire Brush

Adam's Wash Pad

Adam's Wash Wedge (really liked this, found it to release dirt WAY easier than the pads)

Meg's Hyper dressing @ 3:1 for wheel wells

Adam's TS

Adam's Glass Cleaner (Old Stuff)

Megs D155 @ 1:1 for clay lube (Saves my DS for wipedowns)

Adam's Clay Bar (New grey that replaced the horrible blue stuff)

Cyclo

Porter Cable

L3403 VRG Lightweight Rotary

Adam's Orange Microfiber Pads

Adam's White Foam Pads

Other pads for the Flex

Adam's PCP

Adam's PFP

Adam's SVRT

Blackfire Trim sealant for the Cupra R lip.

Adam's In & Out Spray for lower grills

Adam's LPS

Adam's Patriot Wax

Wheels and tires were addressed first. Then wheel wells. Did a quick cleanup on the engine bay, but forgot to grab after pictures. I'll have the car sometime soon for a cleanup before The Bug In show, so I will grab some then.

Car was washed, tail pipes cleaned up, but not polished. Again main focus today was just the paint correction.

Rubber trim dressed with SVRT

Whole car was then clayed with Adam's Clay Bar and Megs D155 @ 1:1

Then on to the paint correction. After doing a test spot on the hood I found that I was pulling about 85% defects out. On some of the deeper stuff I pulled out the rotary. In the right hands they can be a useful tool.

I also noticed some DA haze from the microfiber pads on the black paint so I knew a polishing step would be required on the whole car. Obviously minor holograms from the rotary were fixed with the polishing step as well.

Tight areas were handled with the PC with a 4" pad, larger areas were handled with the Cyclo.

After correction the car was pulled into the sun to inspect the work. I'd say this was close to 95% perfect. Some deeper defects remain. I didn't feel comfortable wet sanding them as the paint was a bit on the thin side where they were, and other defects were through the clear and wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Car was sealed with LPS and then a nice coat of Patriot to top it off. At that point I dressed the grills and lip, and cleaned the windows.

The owner said he has never seen the pearl show through like this before. Even with a bit of cloud cover at dusk it was still popping out.

On to the pictures:

mYGbvLHh.jpg

9M1xQ7jh.jpg

mukkv05h.jpg

(Even got the owner wanting to try out the wheel woolies)

kigBWlUh.jpg

Paint condition after the wash:

8IhppvLh.jpg

z0RxIwrh.jpg

apQ9uCOh.jpg

After compounding the hood:

T1hWrVjh.jpg

After Polish:

5x0cyGwh.jpg

Really shows how the pearl came out

rw2YNrMh.jpg

Owner and I give it a big thumbs up

GVwH3jRh.jpg

y3k5KvXh.jpg

Some patriot and a victory beer to go with it

kTVveE5h.jpg

Finished:

xUA3a00h.jpg

BguEBUNh.jpg

0LxkYOFh.jpg

D6pmZJCh.jpg

Ignore the stock beater wheels. He is dropping off the new BBS CK's to my house later this week for CQuartz coating on them before putting them on. Hopefully we can get a full photoshoot of the car outside with more than my iPhone then too.

In a couple of weeks before the next show I will be doing a follow up wash and surprise him with the interior being show ready and a couple other little things I didn't have time to address.

ALWAYS KEEP YOUR PARTS GUY HAPPY!

-Kyle

Kyle, AMAZING work, on a super rare car, BMP R32's aren't exactly a dime a dozen.... Can you please bug your parts guy to get rid of the chrome mirror caps though?  My only annoyance about the entire car, even the gunmetal "beater Aristos" are just fine looking :)

I love a post-detail beer, gotta make sure its Mickey Ultra or Thriller Lite though, because its basically chuggable with no pauses and goes down like water.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

He loves the mirror caps too much. I said the same thing

At least they are real Votex caps instead of cheap eBay knock offs. I think it needs stubby mirrors in BMP instead.

Really wish I had taken more before and during pics but as Dylan said it was hot this weekend in CO and I just wanted to finish the car so we could drink cold beer.

This is great and gives me something to look forward to. I just purchased a black mk4 jetta that needs a ton of love. Great job.

Black cars can be very rewarding, but they take a bit more work to get looking perfect.

Is the Jetta a BMP car or just normal black?

Very nice work Kyle!

Black cars can be very rewarding, but they take a bit more work to get looking perfect.

Agreed, they look fantastic once you finally get them fully corrected.

We probably get a little more warm weather than you do, but we are not as close to the sun!  I only do corrections for money this time of year, I won't touch my own cars until October.

Very nice work Kyle!

Agreed, they look fantastic once you finally get them fully corrected.

We probably get a little more warm weather than you do, but we are not as close to the sun!  I only do corrections for money this time of year, I won't touch my own cars until October.

Thanks Michael!

Yeah I think you guys get a bit warmer than us... It was 97 here all weekend, but you also have humidity that makes it so much worse to try and work in.

Most of my details right now are favors to friends in trade for other work. The next big one I do will be a  500WHP Gallant VR4 for my powder coater with original single stage chalky white paint. Should be an interesting one to be detailing.

Excuse the language in the video... someone pulled out in front of us.

Is the Jetta a BMP car or just normal black?

I think its just a normal black, but it's so dirty if there is any pearl I can't see it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update: Owner brought over the new wheels and I coated them with some remaining CQuartz I had sitting around. And the next day we took the car to a show. Car was dirty from rain the night before when we took it out, so I did a full rinseless wash when we got to the show. The looks and questions you get when washing a car AT a car show are always fun.

958iz8kh.jpg

High Res of the picture here:

http://i.imgur.com/958iz8k.jpg

Edited by TheBurninator

Just a quick update: Owner brought over the new wheels and I coated them with some remaining CQuartz I had sitting around. And the next day we took the car to a show. Car was dirty from rain the night before when we took it out, so I did a full rinseless wash when we got to the show. The looks and questions you get when washing a car AT a car show are always fun.

Its usually the "why didnt I think of that" look, considering their spray and wipe methods of "cleaning" at a show are introducing some form of marring, rinseless washing takes the same amount of time but its so much safer and more efficient.

Those CK's look amazing and clean on the BMP

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Its usually the "why didnt I think of that" look, considering their spray and wipe methods of "cleaning" at a show are introducing some form of marring, rinseless washing takes the same amount of time but its so much safer and more efficient.

Those CK's look amazing and clean on the BMP

Mostly people wondering what I'm even doing. Colorado is a bit of a joke for VAG shows. Half the time people don't even clean their wheels let alone the rest of the car.

The CK's are classy looking. WAY better than the tarmacs it had before. Baby steps to get him into some LM's :P