Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rupes Bigfoot, but which one??

landshark

Question

I've been wanting to upgrade my GG 6" polisher and had my eye on the Rupes. I was about to order one somewhere else but am glad that Adam's has finally adopted and updated the Rupes (and pads). And I guess I could finally ask this question here.

My background, the GG 6" works fine, but the vibration kills me. And I want to be able to correct faster as I do a detailing side business too. So time is money. And I also have a GG 3" too (hoping to replace to the Rupes mini one day).

So if I could only get one Rupes, which one would you recommended? 21mm? 15South

I'm leaning towards the 21mm btw.

Thanks in advance guys.

24 answers to this question

If the GG6 is getting you all the correction you want, but you just don't like the way it 'feels' then the 15mm is the way to go.

You'll nearly double your stroke length (the GG6 is a 5/16 or 7.9mm stroke machine) so you'll get more correcting power out of that alone, plus the extreme balance of the 15mm.

The only reason to go 21mm in your situation is if you were not getting anywhere close to perfect with your current tool and needed a lot more power. The 21 is great, and its earned its reputation, but its the 'bigger is better' mentality which isn't always true.

^^^ That is its Achilles heel - a deep valley or curve will slow or stop the rotation (oscillation will continue) which reduces polishing power unless you attack it from a different angle. The 15 is less susceptible to this and the Flex doesn't' think twice about it b/c of the forced rotation. Its just proof positive that no matter how popular something is its never perfect for every situation. Detailing is very much a flavor of the month club.

I got the 15 because I work mostly on newer cars and sports cars. The reason I chose the 15 over the 21 is like Dylan said because of those smaller areas that the 21 would be to big for. The good thing about the 15 is you can put the 21's backing plate on it and run a bigger pad if you really need to(I do this for our boat since its so big) but the 15 should be plenty for what you would use it for I think.

I think if youre only looking to get one, the 15 is a good all around tool. May not correct as fast but better to get into smaller spaces. You could also use the 15 backing plate with the 21 so help with get into smaller areas also. Thats what I do and so far I havent had any problems, but the cars I work on dont have as much curvy panels as the ones you will.

Better yet how safe is it to use, is it the same as the pc in the sense that you won't be able to damage the paint??? Can a newbie use it without any issues?

Edited by DIAZ 87

Again, unless you went at it with some serious intent, like TRYING to hurt your car, none of the tools are going to do damage. These are not rotary buffers, they are dual action or orbital tools.

The most aggressive one in the line is the Flex, and even mated up to a microfiber pad and Correcting Polish for multiple sessions you're chances of causing any damage are slim and none.

Or do you think I should get the 21mm (for the big panels like hood, door, roof, etc.) and use my old GG 6" on the tight/curve areas (like rear quarter panels, etc.)?  That way, I could just use one size of pads for both machines.

I think what I'm looking for is correction speed or time saving.

Gary if your GG is still being used and kept you can do 2 things with it:

-Get a 5" backing plate and use the 6" new pads, or just 5.5" pads in general with the machine, on a GG6 the 5.5" pads are correction MONSTERS

-Get a 3" backing plate and use 4" pads on tighter areas, talk about small area correction power there as well

If you are adding a Rupes to your GG6 shelf, I'd go with the 21.  Using the largest throw I would dedicate it to 7" pad use and do all your big panels and flatter areas with it.  On more complex curved panels you still will need your GG6, with the long throw the Rupes 21 and 15 machines excel on larger areas where the throw will not get bogged by curves, at the end of the day its still an orbital and not forced rotation.  Hope that helps!

^The GG3 is absolutely not powerful at all, a PC with 4" pads is about twice as powerful in my experience.

If you have a GG6 though, I'd continue to utilize it, they will replace it with a new one if it dies as well.  Slap some 4" or 5" pads on it when needed and treat yourself to a Rupes 21 for the larger areas.

Throw the GG3 on ebay or something if you're going this route, OR buy the Cyclo carpet brush for it and use it for carpet duty exclusively.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Ok, one more questions guys.  :P

IF I'm going to mod my GG6 with a 5" backing plate, will I defeat the purpose of getting the Rupes 15?  In that case, I'd better to get the Rupes 21 then, right?  Or is there any 4" backing plate for the GG6 out there (retire the GG3 and save me $$ from getting a Rupes mini)??  

Thanks again.

Rupes 15 corrects smoother and slightly faster than a GG6 with 5.5" pads and is a more pleasurable experience doing so.  However, GG6 with 5.5" pads is no slouch at all, as I use one.

You're all over the place with ideas.  Retire the GG3 for sure, use the GG6 for 4" pads, and you can also get a 5" plate for it so you can use both sizes.  I use a Lake Country 3.5" backing plate for my 4" pads, but Adams does sell a 3" backing plate which would work on the 4" pads as well.

It's all about how many pads you want to buy as well, personally its cumbersome for me to have all 3 sizes (6.5", 5.5" and 4") based on the jobs I'm usually doing, as I'm not using all sizes on a detail.  Thats why I said Rupes 15 with 6" pads and then use the GG6 for 4" pad work, carpet brushes, etc.  So then you only need 2 sizes of pads.

Unless you get the Rupes 21 and use the GG6 as a smaller pad (4") machine only, then you'll also have 2 sizes of pads to use.

Obviously there are uses for all 3 sizes for sure, all depends on your budget.  Both the 15 and 21 are great machines, just depends how much more you want to spend on pads/backing plates now.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but the 3" backing plate on your GG3 is most likely able to be swapped onto your GG6 if you wanted to use 4" pads with it.

Edited by Ricky Bobby