Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cyclo Model 5 or Rupes Bigfoot 15mm?

cev103

Question

I currently have a PC but I've been wanting to upgrade to something less entry level.  I was originally planning to go with the Cyclo and then Adam's had to go and add the Rupes to their selection and now I'm a tad overwhelmed.

So I primarily do this for mine and my wife's vehicle which are both under 2 years old and the paint is in good condition, so I know the Cyclo will be fine for regular upkeep, but I also enjoy doing friends vehicle for dollars once in a while.  I am concerned however that if I ever do need more correction power will the Cyclo be enough?  I plan on keeping my PC for now and thought about converting it to the 4 inch pads.  Here are my two different thought processes on this:

Get the Cyclo mainly because I don't have vehicles that need severe correction and keep the PC as a backup (can it correct better than the Cyclo?)  Again I like the Cyclo because of low vibration and you can get in tighter areas without switching machines.

Get the Rupes 15mm (better correction than the Cyclo?) and convert the PC to 4 inch pads for tighter areas.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I can't provide information on the Rupes, but can tell you that the Cyclo will correct as good as any other machine, it just may require additional passes.

I have the Cyclo, use it for all the vehicles I have detailed in the past 8 months, and I would only consider getting another machine (Flex) to assist me in getting those vehicles with really bad paint corrected faster.

Hope that this helps you somewhat? Check out some of the detailing posts I have for photo documentation, as all vehicles were completed with the Cyclo.

Hard one to answer - the good news is that you'll have a somewhat-compact solution with the PC adapted to run 4".

So heres the part to consider - both the Cyclo and the LHR15ES are 15mm polishers... most people don't consider the Cyclo a big throw machine, but it was a big throw before the bigfoot was ever around. What gives the Rupes the edge is the speed. Going up to 4800opm gives it a 1600 (or 150%) more speed.

If you find yourself coming up way short in the power you need to get the job done with your PC then the Rupes might be the way to go. If you get all the correction you need out of the PC, but just want something more comfortable to work with and a touch more power then the Cyclo.

Honestly, I think you'll be really happy either way you go.

Dylan(The Shine Doc) and Adam have a video on all machines as well as a spreadsheet on their stats here http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/28725-the-bigfoot-has-landed-new-gen5-pad-system/page-3?do=findComment&comment=449774

Thanks, I already watched it last night......it was very informative, but it still didn't help me make my mind up.

In addition to machine selection, correction power is also dependent on a few factors:

-Pad/backing plate size

-Foam density of pad and/or MF cutting pad selection

-Correction liquid (compound) used

If you are working yearly or bi-yearly on your well maintained vehicles, the PC is an excellent tool and if you are getting another machine I highly recommend running 4" pads on it.  You will get a ton of correction power from the PC with 4" pads, and with the 4" MF and Correcting polish its quite great.

Honestly I agree with D, you would be happy either way.  The positive of putting 4" pads on a PC for the tight areas where you really need some grunt, is that if you had a Cyclo you honestly only need 1 pad size (4") when you order pads from Adams and they are interchangeable among the machines.

The Rupes is the "hot new thing" but the Cyclo sure is no slouch, both machines are smooth.  Flip a coin.  However you seem pretty happy with the PC and just want to "expand your arsenal".  If you were asking Rupes 21 vs Cyclo based on correcting power I'd probably ease you towards 21.  The 15 vs Cyclo is more of a different way to get a similar result.

Honestly I agree with D, you would be happy either way.  The positive of putting 4" pads on a PC for the tight areas where you really need some grunt, is that if you had a Cyclo you honestly only need 1 pad size (4") when you order pads from Adams and they are interchangeable among the machines.

You make a valid point

I can't provide information on the Rupes, but can tell you that the Cyclo will correct as good as any other machine, it just may require additional passes.

I have the Cyclo, use it for all the vehicles I have detailed in the past 8 months, and I would only consider getting another machine (Flex) to assist me in getting those vehicles with really bad paint corrected faster.

Hope that this helps you somewhat? Check out some of the detailing posts I have for photo documentation, as all vehicles were completed with the Cyclo.

Man, that black Vette really makes a convincing argument as to what the cyclo is capable of......it looks like glass!!

Wow ??

So, I have the Cyclo, but it seems to take too long to do my cars. Does anyone have hands on experience with the Rupes 15, and will I be wowed with the speed and power of correction? Looking to get the job done faster, paint is in pretty good condition.

Thanks for any input

Michael

Wow ??

So, I have the Cyclo, but it seems to take too long to do my cars. Does anyone have hands on experience with the Rupes 15, and will I be wowed with the speed and power of correction? Looking to get the job done faster, paint is in pretty good condition.

Thanks for any input

Michael

I have really been going back and forth between these 2 polishers over the last few days because I really want to upgrade from the PC soon.  I haven't heard anyone say this about the cyclo before, everything I've read says its great for low to moderate corrections.  The lower oscillations was one of the things that I see as a potential negative compared to the rupes, but I also hear that the rupes slows down on curves and corners (is this similar to how the PC handles?)

Hard one to answer - the good news is that you'll have a somewhat-compact solution with the PC adapted to run 4".

So heres the part to consider - both the Cyclo and the LHR15ES are 15mm polishers... most people don't consider the Cyclo a big throw machine, but it was a big throw before the bigfoot was ever around. What gives the Rupes the edge is the speed. Going up to 4800opm gives it a 1600 (or 150%) more speed.

If you find yourself coming up way short in the power you need to get the job done with your PC then the Rupes might be the way to go. If you get all the correction you need out of the PC, but just want something more comfortable to work with and a touch more power then the Cyclo.

Honestly, I think you'll be really happy either way you go.

Read the above response from Dylan regarding the Rupes 15 and Cyclo.

Same stroke, only difference is speed of oscillations, 3200 vs 4800. Speed only matters on how fast you may correct a finish, not on the ability to correct at all! One pass or two? That is something you need to decide if it is a deal maker or deal breaker.

Rupes does slow down on curved areas, and requires a larger pad, which also makes it more difficult to correct certain smaller areas.

Wow ??

Thanks for any input

Michael

Honestly if you're looking for speed and power for a correction I would be looking at the Flex 3401, with its forced rotation.

Have you had time to play with the rupes? Curious what your thoughts are now that you've received them.

I was looking forward to doing some paint correction later this month and trying the Rupes for the first time. Unfortunately I broke my finger at work just over a week ago so that's not going to happen anytime soon.

I'm also in this boat, which was why i was following this thread pretty closely... i had the PC but did not like the thickness and vibration it threw off.  I'm looking at either the Cyclo or the Rupes 15.  Then will probably get the Mini for the tighter spots that they can't get into.  Question is does anyone out there have the Cyclo and the Mini (way i'm leaning).   I figured I'd be better going this route since they both use the same pads and won't have to worry about multiple pads... I'll mostly be doing my car and my wife's mini van... maybe a family member or friend here and there but nothing extravagant... not really doing anything for money, but you never know once i get these cars looking blindingly shiny.  What really turned me off on the PC was the massive amount of vibration... I heard the cyclo was the lesser of the 2 regarding vibration.  Any help or guidance is appreciated.  Thanks everyone for your help up front!

If lowest vibration is the #1 item on your list the Cyclo is the tool to get. Thats not to say the 15 vibrates badly, but the Cyclo just vibrates less thanks to the fact that each head is contanstly offsetting the movement of the other. Its really a solution that can only be done easily with 2 equally sized heads.