Customer Service 866.965.0400

Which Size Pads for Rupes 21?

Performance Auto Detailing

Question

Hey Guys,

I recently picked up a Rupes 21 but haven't gotten any pads for it yet. 

I have heard a lot about guys taking the backing plate from the Rupes 15 and putting it on the 21, to use smaller pads...

So my question is should I do this, or will the 7" pads still get me sufficient correcting power? I'm used to using 5.5" pads on my PC, so I feel like 7" is a pretty big size increase and might take away from the additional correcting power this machine has over my PC. 

So should I go with the new 7" Adams pads or get the smaller backing plate and get the new 6" pads? 

Thanks guys

5 answers to this question

The 7" pads on a Rupes 21 will give you more correcting power than a PC with any pads.

If you need heavy correcting, go with the MF pads. The Rupes 21 and MF pads make for some quick correction work.

7" foam (6.5" microfiber) will fit the factory backing plate. While there is chatter on the web about swapping to a smaller plate I highly advise against it. Rupes has a fortune in R&D to get these machines balanced perfectly. We scrutinized our pads to make sure they hit their tolerances for gram weight to not upset that balance.

Aside from its correcting ability the main reason you buy a Rupes is that incredible level of balance and smooth operation.