Customer Service 866.965.0400

ASK THE SHINE DOC - Ep. 11: Engine Bay Detailing / What to Cover

Any good suggestions for the hood pad while we have it open??

That is a good question. I have cleaned the hood pad two different ways. For a pad that is not really dirty I use a little Leather and Interior cleaner and a microfiber/terry cloth towel. For a really dirty hood pad I have used soap and water then rinsed it off. However, the pads seem to hold a lot of water and also trap dirt behind them. I end up using a lot of water to clean them. Then when the pad dries I can see spots that need to be washed again. I'm thinking the best way to clean a really dirty hood pad is to remove it, let it dry, and then put it back in.

Edited by Thorsager

For the hood liner/pad/insulation I highly recommend not getting it too wet - I've seen too many of them get saggy and look poorly after being soaked with water.

If its only lightly soiled a damp towel is generally all they need. You can spot treat things with APC should it have more serious dirt - I've also taken to using the master blaster to 'purge' hood liners. At full blast, while the liner is dry, holding the nozzle really close to the material allows the air to push a lot of the dust and stuff out of the pad. An air compressor with a concentrated nozzle will also work.

Make sure that is done BEFORE cleanign the car b/c the fine dust/dirt goes EVERYWHERE!