Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rinseless washing and grit guard

2Fords

Question

17 answers to this question

I always do the method where you use multiple towels and after one gets soiled, you discard it. With this method I never use a grit guard in the bucket. Never had any issues. I do however make sure that I rinse out any debris that is in the bucket before adding the water and rinseless solution.

^

This.

I use the grit guard when using the Adams Bucket as I find the gamma seal lid has a lip that makes it impossible to fully rinse/empty the bucket (and be assured that all dirt/grit is removed from the bucket).

Dave just run a bead of clear silicone in the gap between the lid and bucket, problem solved.

When doing a rinseless wash I have a dedicated bucket for rinseless washing only, with no grit guard.  I do a GDWM so I'm not introducing dirt back into the bucket ever.  As well, if the GG is removed, you can wash your car with a gallon of water (the Grit Guard sits right below the 1 gallon mark on the bucket) if doing rinseless, depending on soil amount and towels used, sometimes 2 cars.

So I usually mix up 1-2 gallons max, when done, I rinse out my bucket well, and leave the lid on top, but tilted to allow airflow, and a few days later when the bucket is dry I blow out any dust that may have found its way in there (normally none) and spin on the Gamma Seal to keep it sealed.

Thats my method though, using a dedicated bucket.  If you are using a bucket thats also used for traditional washes, yes I am in agreement, use the GG, just as insurance.

What does everyone think of not using a grit guard in the bucket if you never put dirty towels back in it? For rinseless washing that is. I use a 3-1/2 gal bucket and the extra space (depth) in it would be nice.

I do not have a GG in my wash bucket, only in the rinse bucket for that very reason.  After washing the panel I lay the dirty wash media over the rinse bucket while i wipe and dry the panel.  Then clean the media in the rinse bucket, and reload from the wash bucket.  I don't leave the media in the wash bucket, so any thing 'heavy' will move to the bottom, and I reload from the top.  I use the same process for a 2 bucket wash with shampoo.

I do not have a GG in my wash bucket, only in the rinse bucket for that very reason.  After washing the panel I lay the dirty wash media over the rinse bucket while i wipe and dry the panel.  Then clean the media in the rinse bucket, and reload from the wash bucket.  I don't leave the media in the wash bucket, so any thing 'heavy' will move to the bottom, and I reload from the top.  I use the same process for a 2 bucket wash with shampoo.

So you use the same towel for the whole car then and just rinse in between panels?

So you use the same towel for the whole car then and just rinse in between panels?

Yes.

My Rinseless process:

• Prepare Rinseless wash bucket & rinse bucket
  • Soak MF towel in wash bucket, and wring it out
  • Wash panel
  • Wipe wet panel with damp MF towel
  • Spritz panel with DS
  • Wipe dry with WW Towel
  • Clean wash media on Grit Guard in rinse bucket, and start next panel

I can do two cars with the same WW Towel and it is only damp when done.

Yes.

My Rinseless process:

• Prepare Rinseless wash bucket & rinse bucket
  • Soak MF towel in wash bucket, and wring it out
  • Wash panel
  • Wipe wet panel with damp MF towel
  • Spritz panel with DS
  • Wipe dry with WW Towel
  • Clean wash media on Grit Guard in rinse bucket, and start next panel
I can do two cars with the same WW Towel and it is only damp when done.

I haven't done a rinseless wash yet, so I can't make an educated comment, but my first thought was - "just because you can doesn't mean you should". But if it works for you, great. And if it doesn't scratch at all, I guess that's a testament to how good rinseless is.

Dave just run a bead of clear silicone in the gap between the lid and bucket, problem solved.

When doing a rinseless wash I have a dedicated bucket for rinseless washing only, with no grit guard. I do a GDWM so I'm not introducing dirt back into the bucket ever. As well, if the GG is removed, you can wash your car with a gallon of water (the Grit Guard sits right below the 1 gallon mark on the bucket) if doing rinseless, depending on soil amount and towels used, sometimes 2 cars.

So I usually mix up 1-2 gallons max, when done, I rinse out my bucket well, and leave the lid on top, but tilted to allow airflow, and a few days later when the bucket is dry I blow out any dust that may have found its way in there (normally none) and spin on the Gamma Seal to keep it sealed.

Thats my method though, using a dedicated bucket. If you are using a bucket thats also used for traditional washes, yes I am in agreement, use the GG, just as insurance.

It might be due to my OCD perfectionist tendencies but I don't like the idea of a bead of silicon caulk since I know that the silicon surface can tend to hold mold/mildew and other dirt - and getting a perfect smooth bead is difficult for me. :)

So I what I am normally do for rinseless is use a non-Adams bucket (gasp!) so that I can skip the GG. In my earlier post I was stating what I did when using ALL Adam's products. I do not know the particulars of the method you mentioned but I NEVER put a used wet towel back in the rinseless bucket, hence I have no reservations not having a GG in there - I know my non-Adams and non-Gamma seal bucket is very clean so a GG is not needed.

I love the Adams rinseless product as we have water restrictions here in central Florida every year. Makes washing the panels much better - though I still have to sneak in a quick hose wash for the wheels.

Edited by DaveVY

It might be due to my OCD perfectionist tendencies but I don't like the idea of a bead of silicon caulk since I know that the silicon surface can tend to hold mold/mildew and other dirt - and getting a perfect smooth bead is difficult for me. :)  Silicone II is guaranteed Mold Free for like 15 years haha!  I'm OCD like you as well trust me, just was a suggestion if you didn't like the water getting stuck in the lip.

So I what I am normally do for rinseless is use a non-Adams bucket (gasp!) so that I can skip the GG. In my earlier post I was stating what I did when using ALL Adam's products. I do not know the particulars of the method you mentioned but I NEVER put a used wet towel back in the rinseless bucket,  Absolutely right, I never put a towel back in the bucket, use up all clean sides, wring it out, and then into the laundry hamper, never back in your rinseless bucket.  hence I have no reservations not having a GG in there - I know my non-Adams and non-Gamma seal bucket is very clean so a GG is not needed.

I love the Adams rinseless product as we have water restrictions here in central Florida every year. Makes washing the panels much better - though I still have to sneak in a quick hose wash for the wheels.

Your method is solid and like mine, dedicated rinseless bucket, multiple towels never reintroduced into the bucket of clean solution after being used, no grit guard in the dedicated rinseless bucket, etc.  Nice!