Customer Service 866.965.0400

"Freshening up" a 1918 White truck

mc2hill

My client wants to 'freshen up' his 1918 White Model 15 truck for possible sale.  We are just tackling a few items at a time, as this is a biiig truck!

DSCN0093_zpsvk5wnugd.jpg

This day we just did the hood (top and sides) and the radiator.

A shot after spraying it down with Waterless Wash.  (this shot was tweaked with a photo editor)

DSCN0095%20-%20Cropped_Fotor_Fotor_zpsse

I started with the hood sides:

DSCN2099_zpssskvpimn.jpg

I found it easier to work on them when the sides were horizontal.  I protected the window and frame with a work MF

DSCN3097_zpsjwnp5ecz.jpg

And supported it on the marker light with another work MF

DSCN3098_zps9jkahrn2.jpg

Since this had all the louvers I just hand polished it with Revive and a foam applicator.

Next I taped off the pinstripes and the center hinge, and covered the brass radiator and frame rails.  Much easier to take a few minutes to protect things than have to clean polish off them later!

DSCN4100_zpsidpofvyh.jpg

Once it was clean I could see it was not too bad, but it did have some stains from hot water from a day out a few months ago.  (The cooling system has been repaired since then.)

Before

DSCN4101_zpsuwpn92n7.jpg

After

DSCN4103_zpsglmtqegy.jpg

I used PCP on a orange 4" Focus pad for the correction (2 passes).  If you look at the Waterless Wash shot you can see it has a big concave section, so 7" or 5.5" pads could not get flush on the surface.  

The hood still had a few slight scratches and faint water spots, but without a paint thickness gauge this was all the correction I was comfortable with.

I followed that up with PFP on a 5.5" finishing pad and applied a coat of Americana.

Then we hit the radiator with MP #1 & #2, and applied QS for protection.DSCN5109_zpsjrswuagd.jpgDSCN5111_zps0yawngdg.jpg

I will update this thread as we continue working on this piece of history.

For more pictures of this truck see the first two pictures in this thread - http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27985-we-are-off-to-amelia/?hl=amelia.

Here are a few more pictures from a concours event a few years ago:

2012%20winter%20park%20021_zpsmxw48m06.j

2012%20winter%20park%20015_zpsh7dcoih9.j

2012%20winter%20park%20018_zpsmebc2x4l.j

2012%20winter%20park%20017_zpsa74hvbgb.j

2012%20winter%20park%20019_zpsaetpzkhz.j

Edited by mc2hill

Nice job Michael!

WOW! Stellar... and a what a cool opportunity.

Thanks fellas.  And yes, it is a fantastic opportunity!  (oh, and he going to teach me to drive it on the next work session  :thumbsup:  - I may have to borrow a Go Pro for that!)  

Working something like this makes you think and plan more than doing a 'full bodied' car.  You look at the section you are going to work on and wonder "hmmm, how should I go about this?" vs. a regular car where you just start on hood and keeping going until the car is done.  (OK, over simplified, but you get the idea.)  

I recommend working on a brass/pre-war car to everyone!  It is a great experience and a great learning experience too.

Wow great job

Nice work! What type of paint is on the truc

Thanks!

The paint on the hood is single stage, applied in the early 80's.  It is in pretty good shape overall.  I am not sure about the paint on the cab.