Customer Service 866.965.0400

Should I use water when washing my '67 GT350?

Tusk

Question

Hey guys,

I just bought a 1967 GT350 from my father-in-law and I'm trying to get some opinions on washing techniques. He passed away last week so the car is still at his house and I haven't had a chance to really examine how the paint looks up close but I think it will need some love. Should I stay away from washing it with water and just use waterless, or would it be ok to use water once then go waterless from there on? I guess I'm just looking for opinions. Thanks guys!

25 answers to this question

Sorry for your family's loss Dalton.

I would recommend a Rinseless wash vs. a regular 2 bucket wash.  Pretreat any bad areas with Waterless Wash then wash with Rinseless.  If the car has been sitting outside a long time (not guessing is has), then I would recommend a regular 2 bucket wash with a few oz. of APC added.

I have several customers with muscle cars, and none want a hose on them, if possible.  To many places for water to collect and begin to rust.

Thanks guys.

I know he took great care of it, so it might not need a 2 bucket wash. I'll just have to see what I'm working with once I get it to my house.

Here's a couple of pictures:

1j4t5f.jpg

Here's my father-in-law sitting in it:

30bzgg8.jpg

Edited by Tusk

My condolences. That looks like a very well maintained, beautiful ride, and one of my favorite Mustangs too, in a unique color.

I use Waterless Wash or Rinseless Wash on my GTO when it has some dust on it from sitting in the garage, but when it gets dirty enough from driving I will still do a 2 bucket wash with a foam gun. I make sure to use my Master Blaster to get any pooled-up water out of mirrors, door jambs, trunk seal, lights and so on.

Sorry for your loss. I use the 2bucket wash on my Firebird when she gets dirty.

That last pic looks like your FIL is ready to drop the hammer and show you youngsters how to do donuts!

Edited by BrianT

Sorry for your loss. Looks like he took excellent care of the car.

Post up some picks of the car as it sits now and we gave give you some better ideas. I'm betting that a full wash won't be necessary. You will have to decide whether or not to do any paint correction or leave it as is.

Why wouldn't you wash the car with water??? 

Makes no sense to me.  

Washing a classic car using a hose and bucket flushes the car with a lot of water. The water gets in all of the nooks and crannies and creates a potential rust issue.

Edited by Tusk

Do you have a machine polisher?

BTW I have owned my MB for 8 or 9 years and I use it at least once a week and it is still going strong.

I have a 7424xp along with the correct pads. Also, 2 buckets with grit guards, foam gun, wash wedge, double soft towels, great whites, foam blocks and microfiber applicators.

Edited by Tusk

Washing a classic car using a hose and bucket flushes the car with a lot of water. The water gets in all of the nooks and crannies and creates a potential rust issue.

Good information Dalton.  

The distinction is using a hose to put water on the car vs. using Rinseless Wash (diluted in water).  

The 'bucket of towels' method (several high GSM count towels placed a bucket of Rinseless solution).  This method works great on cars that only have dust on them, or after traveling to a show.   

The 'bucket of towels' method (several high GSM count towels placed a bucket of Rinseless solution).  This method works great on cars that only have dust on them, or after traveling to a show.   

Thanks Michael. I'll definitely give that one a try. I was wondering the best way to give it a good cleaning once I get to a show.

Rinseless Wash and some Dilution bottles, but nice collection!

Gallon rinseless wash and dilution bottles ordered.........and maybe pressurized spray bottle and another double soft towel. 

Hello, my name is Dalton and I have an Adam's addiction.

Edited by Tusk

Gallon rinseless wash and dilution bottles ordered.........and maybe pressurized spray bottle and another double soft towel. 

Welcome to the group!

Dalton, beautiful car, sorry about the loss of your father-in-law, and with the advice given here by the others you should be well on your way to cleaning it, and keeping it pristine once you have it finished.

Great collection of Adam's products, and a possible lower cost alternative to the Master Blaster could possibly be the Master Blaster Sidekick, a smaller hand held version, which does a great job of getting the water from the "cracks, crevices, nooks and crannies" of vehicles. Takes a little bit more time to complete a whole car, but works just as well if time isn't an issue.

By the way, most of the members on this forum have the same addiction!

Welcome to the family!

While I do understand the reasons why you don't want to use a hose on the car, it would figuratively kill me not to be able to wash my car the traditional way.  I find it relaxing and therapeutic in a way that just using a rinseless wash or detailing spray just doesn't do it for me in the same way.

Sorry for your loss.  On to your question, my Classic car is obviously not as valuable as a GT350, but no matter the value we are facing the same issues as anyone else with a classic car.  Trying to keep them clean and to prevent rust at all costs.  I typically let my firebird see water a couple times a year.  All the other times I keep her waterless washed up.  But its a nice day driver that sits in the garage 5-6 days a week and never in the rain.  Good luck!