Customer Service 866.965.0400

Melted crayon on cloth seat...

ADL

Question

Thanks to my beautiful 2 year old daughter the passenger seat of my Wife's 2010 Chevy Malibu now has a melted yellow Crayola crayon in-bedded from sitting and liquefying in direct 100+ degree sun light yesterday afternoon. The upholstery is standard tan cloth.

Any of you interior cleaning guru's have any advice on how to remove the offending yellow splatter? 

photo-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

:rolleyes:

11 answers to this question

I would wait until the crayon hardened again then try and scrape as much off as you could. I then would apply a small amount of Adams Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner to it and let that work for maybe a minute. Then with a cockpit interior brush gently brush the stain and remove as much as you could with a microfiber cloth. From there I would reevaluate the stain. What types of tools do you have? I have a steamer and extractor. If I were cleaning it I may have to use the steamer if the first step did not work that well.

It is a cloth seat so you do not want to get to aggressive with the brush so you do not damage the cloth. Also use only what is needed in the way of product or water due to the foam in the seat.

Use a clothing iron and a paper bag. Put the paper bag on top of the crayon and the iron on top of that. Make sure the iron is set to no steam because that will just create a bigger mess. The paper bag will absorb the crayon. This works for candle wax so I don't see why it wouldn't work for crayon wax. It may require a little bit more work than candle wax however.

Thank you, guys, for your suggestions and the links above.

Per one of the links I decided to give WD40 on a rag a try and lo and behold, it broke down the crayon!

"Believe it or not, a little WD-40 will go a long way to being able to clean up the stain. While WD-40may be a lubricant, it will also help break down the wax for an easier clean up. Apply the lubricant to a paper towel or clean rag and gently wipe away the wax. Repeat the process as many times as necessary till you cannot wipe up any more wax."

It took a fair amount of wiping because the puddle was thick but it definitely works. When it was broken down all the way I finished up with Adam's Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner and former interior brush to remove the last little traces of yellow and the WD40. It's like it never happened.  B)

I'm filing this in the super secret detailing tricks section of my brain...just kidding...I always try to help out everyone the best I can :)

Along the same lines of interesting uses for WD-40, I like to use the combo of it followed up with All Purpose Cleaner to remove plastidip from tight crevices in clearcoated wheel spokes. I then quickly follow up with cleaning the wheel with either Car Shampoo or Waterless Wash to make sure I removed all trace amounts of the stronger chemicals.